Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

U2 -- Songs Of Innocence

Cover artwork leaked

Apparently the whole "released free through Apple" thing is a ploy to get more credit card details on file for their (Apple's, obviously) new payments services venture, which aims to get you to use your phone to pay for things.

U2 -- Songs Of Innocence

I've seen a fair few comments from people who are narked that the album has turned up uninvited on their iphones or whatever. This is possibly a misjudgement on Apple's part in that it undermines the illusion of individual ownership, that a device full of digital files is 'your music'.

Presumably the album is more of the same old rope, although single title The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone) suggests an exciting new direction as a Helen Love tribute band.

Comment

U2 -- Songs Of Innocence

I heard it for the first time over lunch. Now bear in mind I'm a huge U2 fan, so this is not an impartial review (from both sides - I wanted it to be brilliant).

I have to say, it's nowhere near back to the level of All That You Can't Leave Behind , and arguably How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb , but you will be pleased to hear that it's a vast improvement on No Line on the Horizon , and has several tracks that with enough airplay could be remembered as U2 staple songs.

The opening song, The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone) is the one that is likely to be the one Sky TV uses on football adverts and will the stadium opener. "I was young - not dumb - just wishing to be blinded, by you - brand new - we were pilgrims on our way," croons Bono in the bridge, before launching into a chorus of "I woke up at the moment that the miracle ocurred, the song that made some sense out of the world; everything I ever lost now has been returned, the most beautiful sound I ever heard...". Proper U2 earworm nonsense stuff that, like I said, will be in your head for months once you've heard it a few times.

The next few tracks are very much "the same old rope" as Benjm put it - Every Breaking Wave sounds like it wants to be A Beautiful Day but doesn't quite hit the necessary heights, and California is toe-tappy enough. Apparently the most hearfelt written song, Iris (Hold Me Close) is the one where the Edge and Bono both get to show off, and sounds a bit like Sunday Bloody Sunday , and the next track Volcano will please those who like the more raw U2 sound from the early 80s ("Vol-Cay-No, something in you about to blow"). The album peters out a little after that (or maybe even I get tired of U2 after 6 tracks) into several longer ballads, once of which Cedarwood Road will mean more to Dubliners than anyone else, with its several references to the city (including, I presume, the titular street).

As I said above, it's not their worst studio album. Definitely up there with Zooropa , for example, and way better than Pop or the last one. But if you can get it for free, I would.

Comment

U2 -- Songs Of Innocence

How do you delete this load of old fuck from your phone?
        I can't seem to do it.

Comment

U2 -- Songs Of Innocence

Ditch the phone, grandads. They're so August 2014. The Kidz this month are all into iris (hold me close) recognition.

For a guy who couldn't play drums and sing at the same time, Joey did OK?

Comment

U2 -- Songs Of Innocence

I'd have been more impressed had it been Anal Cunt's new album.

Comment

U2 -- Songs Of Innocence

In a sense, it was.

Comment

U2 -- Songs Of Innocence

Just youtubed songs of innocence - man, have they changed...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amUCODmMMEc

Comment

U2 -- Songs Of Innocence

I feel slightly guilty now for having subjected my kids to a show trial to discover which of them had downloaded this pile of fucking toss. I wasn't aware of the marketing campaign until this morning.

Comment

Working...
                  X