Singers or groups mentioned in songs by other

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yup. I knew what that would be before reading/clicking the link.

With a shot from a .38
    John Lennon's life was no longer a debate...

Because it 'was' a debate before? I mean, I'm all for poetic licence but that's worthy of an armed frog marching back to primary school...

Comment

Do record label owners count?

I Know Someone Who Knows Someone Who Knows Alan McGee Quite Well- The Pooh Sticks

Comment

Jah Womble wrote:

I'm all for poetic licence but that's worthy of an armed frog marching back to primary school...
        I completely misread that line initially;

Comment

You Were Right - Badly Drawn Boy

Gets in Madonna, Sinatra, Jeff Buckley, Kurt Cobain and John Lennon.

Comment

(Doubled...)

Comment

Plenty of dead stars in the Righteous Brothers' Rock 'n' Roll Heaven, too. (And Endless Art by A House.)

Harry: Bleedin' autocorrect!

Comment

Ah, you've just reminded me of one I heard at Uni:

Dreaming of Injured Popstars - Chris T-T

It sounds far less dark musically than the lyrics would suggest on their own, btw, but the standout lyric for me is 'It only took one match to burn down Kelly Jones'.

Comment

When not referencing The Fall, Mark E. Smith's quite good at mentioning other groups.

(Edit: As evilC wrote on the first page of this thread.)

Off the top of my head, I can recall his mentioning that people say he rips off Johnny Rotten, that Bill Haley LPs are shit and that Lloyd Cole's brain and face are made out of cow pat.

Comment

Teenage Fanclub - The Concept, in fact the first lines on the album:

She wears denim wherever she goes
                    Says she's gonna buy some records by the Status Quo
                    Oh yeah

And, all together now:

Che Guevara and Debussy to a disco beat

Comment

treibeis wrote: When not referencing The Fall, Mark E. Smith's quite good at mentioning other groups.

Off the top of my head, I can recall his mentioning that people say he rips off Johnny Rotten, that Bill Haley LPs are shit and that [b]Lloyd Cole's brain and face are made out of cow pat.
                      That's my two worlds smashing into smithereens then.

Comment

Fun Lovin Criminals name check Barry White & EWF on Love Unlimited and the same band mention Boz Scaggs in Up On The Hill

Comment

On an indiepop tip, The Hit Parade gave us The Beatles In 1963 and the first Trembling Blue Stars album features Abba On The Jukebox.

Comment

Donovan — Fat Angel — Jefferson Airplane (they also covered the song.)

Amy Rigby's really good at this, here's another of hers — Do You Remember That — P.P. Arnold, Crazy Elephant, Yo La Tengo

Comment

This thread has given me a very, very bad earworm.

There’s a German-language song called Lieder in which the lyrics consist mainly of song titles. “I walked like an Egyptian / And I cried with doves / I was a voodoo child / Just like a rolling stone / Whitney will always love me / And Michael will never leave me alone.”

It's so bad, such an truly diabolical earsore of soul-sapping crap, that, when I heard it for the first time, I raised my voice in anger - something I hadn't done for over 30 years.

It’s the sort of song people from Schleswig-Holstein sing along to in the early hours of Sunday morning, shortly after they’ve pissed on my bicycle on the way to the Reeperbahn and shortly after they’ve puked on my bicycle on the way back to their hotel. They usually start crying when they sing the chorus, because that’s what the chorus tells you to do (I think the lyrics are from "Dancing With Tears In My Eyes”)

So, G-Man, if you’re reading this:
                              Here’s something to help you get in training for your next trip to your birthplace:

Lieder

Comment

Crumbs, that's really depressing on several levels.

Anyway I realised Lucinda Williams has several that songs fit the bill from the same album:

Car Wheels on a Gravel Road — Loretta Lynn

2 Kool 2 Be Forgotten — Robert Johnson

Lake Charles — Howlin' Wolf

Metal Firecracker — ZZ Top

Finally a bit of a classic:

The Byrds — Eight Miles High — The Small Faces

Comment

From station to station
                                  back to Düsseldorf City
                                  Meet Iggy Pop and David Bowie
                                  Trans Europe Express
                                  Trans Europe Express

Comment

treibeis wrote: This thread has given me a very, very bad earworm.

There’s a German-language song called Lieder in which the lyrics consist mainly of song titles. “I walked like an Egyptian / And I cried with doves / I was a voodoo child / Just like a rolling stone / Whitney will always love me / And Michael will never leave me alone.”

It's so bad, such an truly diabolical earsore of soul-sapping crap, that, when I heard it for the first time, I raised my voice in anger - something I hadn't done for over 30 years.

It’s the sort of song people from Schleswig-Holstein sing along to in the early hours of Sunday morning, shortly after they’ve pissed on my bicycle on the way to the Reeperbahn and shortly after they’ve puked on my bicycle on the way back to their hotel. They usually start crying when they sing the chorus, because that’s what the chorus tells you to do (I think the lyrics are from "Dancing With Tears In My Eyes”)

So, G-Man, if you’re reading this:
                                    Here’s something to help you get in training for your next trip to your birthplace:

Lieder
                                    "The uploader has not made this video available in your country." I think I'm glad about that.

As it happens, I'll be in Lübeck in December, but since that is only nominally in Schleswig-Holstein. But after that I'll be in Neumünster. If my brother and we visit Hamburg during that time, I shall be sure to do horrible things to your bicycle.

Comment

The KLF - 'Kylie Said To Jason'

Comment

G-Man wrote: But after that I'll be in Neumünster.
                                        Are you going there voluntarily, or is it some sort of ongoing rehabilitation alternative to the custodial sentence you received for nicking a packet of Brandt-Zwieback from a Tante-Emma-Laden in 1978?

I went out with a woman from a suburb of Neumünster (if there is such a thing) and she told me that the city motto was "Wenn der Spaß vorbei ist". I believed that for years, idiot that I am.

I went there a couple of years ago, and now I'm not sure what to believe.

Comment

treibeis wrote: When not referencing The Fall, Mark E. Smith's quite good at mentioning other groups.

Off the top of my head, I can recall his mentioning that people say he rips off Johnny Rotten, that Bill Haley LPs are shit and that Lloyd Cole's brain and face are made out of cow pat.
                                          You couldn't tell Lou Reed from Doug Yule

Top era-specific indie scene insult from 1986's Shoulder Pads #1.

Comment

Lynyrd Skynyrd were quick to remind Neil Young that Southern Man don't need him around anyhow.

Comment

Paddy McAloon must be a strong contender here….

‘Hey Manhattan’ (Sinatra)
                                              ‘Cars & Girls’ (Springsteen)
                                              ‘I Love Music’ (Miles, Rodgers/Edwards & Pierre Boulez)

‘Donna Summer’
                                              ‘Faron Young’
                                              ‘Meet the New Mozart’

Do ‘Moon Dog’ and ‘Jordan The Comeback’ count? Both about Elvis without specifically name-checking him.

And of course there’s the legendary but yet to see the light of day collection of songs about Michael Jackson.

Comment

Dad's dressing like Motley Crue/And why is mom's hair dyed bright blue?

Laying round on the couch/With my Misfits records out

What's The Matter With Parents Today? - NOFX

Comment

"But when I woke up, Mom & Dad are rolling on the couch, rolling numbers, rock and rollin', got my KISS records out"

Cheap Trick - Surrender

Comment

(Just like the Four Tops) I Can't Help Myself

is one of Edwyn Collins' masterpieces of this ilk. (On Orange Juice's Rip It Up album).

Comment

Working...
                                                    X