Damages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damages

US legal drama series over several seasons from several years ago. Been suggested to me as something to watch. Anyone on here able to share an opinion on it?

Damages

I watched all of it. Pretty good. Excellent performances. In addition to the leads, there are people like Ted Danson playing bad guys. In the extras, the creators say that's on purpose, because it helps sell the wolf-in-sheeps-clothing aspect of their characters. Loads of solid performances from other "guy who was in that one thing" type character actors too.

It's more like a mystery than a legal thriller, per se. It flashes forward and back so the mystery is how is it going to get from here to there, but the flash-forwards are sort of oblique and only spelled out bit by bit. I can't recall a show using that format. Certainly not this effectively.

A bit far-fetched at times, but not ridiculously so. Probably went one season longer than necessary, but it's not terrible. The ending is fairly satisfying, I suppose.

Comment

Damages

Yes. The first two series are very good, the third excellent — largely because Martin Short gives the performance of his life. The fourth falls off the cliff, in spite of John Goodman, and I never saw the fifth so can't comment.

It's a show you need to see from series one I think, otherwise you'll miss a bunch of back-story stuff. Glenn Close is strong in the lead role — though La Signora feels her face is so overbotoxed that she's lost a lot of expressive capability. Ellen Parsons as her sometime friend/student/colleague/enemy is no better than OK. If someone with Close's acting chops had the part it would've been a brilliant series. As it is, it's certainly worth watching.

Comment

Damages

Thanks Reed and AdC. Those qualified recommendations are probably enough for me to add it to the shortlist for discussion with the missus, and probably the most positive I could have expected given that, if it had been top notch, I would have heard of it before now.

Comment

Damages

It didn't get much press here either, despite the good reviews and the famous cast.

Comment

Damages

I'm two series in and I absolutely love this show.

Glenn Close is amazing and Rose Byrne is just hot!

Going to start series 3 in the coming days.

Comment

Working...
            X