• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Magyar rapszódiák

Duncan Gardner wrote:
    Originally posted by Selected Ambient Works 85-92
    The Dutch regularly hockey teams by large margins at home
    In the last 10 years, San Marino are the only other team they've scored more than four against, home or away.
    Are you forgetting about the reigning World Champions during the last World Cup? Cause I am surely not forgetting that, ever.

Comment

Magyar rapszódiák

Smallcaps wrote:
      Are you forgetting about the reigning World Champions during the last World Cup? Cause I am surely not forgetting that, ever
      Aye, I forgot to add the er, qualifier "in a qualifier".

Robben leaving Ramos flatfooted for the second was my highlight of the tournament.

Comment

Magyar rapszódiák

Duncan Gardner wrote: Aye, I forgot to add the er, qualifier "in a qualifier".

Robben leaving Ramos flatfooted for the second was my highlight of the tournament.
        Fair enough. I'm not too well aware of how our national team typically plays in qualifiers, because I'm not watching those games. By and large, they're very boring.

Comment

Magyar rapszódiák

Evening fact fans, first time Ultonia have won the first two games of a qualifying series since 1968. Should really have done better after the break but no-one's complaining with the top two seeds trailing in our wake.

Comment

Magyar rapszódiák

I'm going to put my flag here and claim this thread as the official OTF Group F thread.

It seems like it may end up being the tightest and most unpredictable of groups. I'd still put money on Greece and Romania ending up in the top two places, but much can still happen. This weekend, after their terrible result at home to NI which saw the manager sacked after that one single game Hungary came here to Romania (there were a bunch of non football related shenanigans - which may yet result in the NI match in Bucharest being played behind closed doors, by the way, Duncan, as I know you have friends planning to come), but Romania domintaed the game, without looking that great, were by far the better side in the first half and went in 1-0 up. But then they sat back a bit in the second half, and Hungary got a free kick which Dzsudzsak scored very nicely (it looked for the whole game that the only way Hungary might nick a goal would be at a set piece). The Romanian media are very upset at their own team for letting the 3 points slip away. But in the grand scheme of things 4 points from their first two games (away to Greece and home to Hungary) seems like a fair return. Tonight's game in Finland will be a real test. If they win that, I can't see them struggling to qualify. However a (far from inconceivable) defeat would put the cat among the pigeons somewhat. It looks likely that Piturca, the coach, will be off to Saudi or Qatar or somewhere after this game having been offered silly money to do so, which means that there will be a period of uncertainty, and I have no idea who'd take his place. In truth Romania's players look decidedly ordinary these days - this is reinforced by the fact that the media is talking up the promotion of Lucian Sanmartean as if it were the second coming of Gica Hagi. Sanmartean is 34.

Greece have obviously struggled a bit under Ranieri, with only one point from two. The home game with Romania was behind closed doors though so it may be a bit of an outlier. Tonight's game against group leaders NI will be an interesting one. If NI can steal a point Ranieri might even go.

Hungary have been buoyed by the equaliser in Bucharest, but with Dardai as a "temporary" coach, I have no idea what they expect to happen. Tonights they're in the Faeroes, which is not the gimme it ought to be. But if Dardai can win that one and then the home match with Finland in November, I presume he'll be given the job full time (and if he doesn't win those two games, Hungary are out of the running anyway).

I know almost nothing about Finland (though heard two guys joking on the radio this morning that Piturca had described them as "very powerful" and a "huge test", and they were wondering where there was left to go, in terms of talking up your opponents. What would he say if Romania were facing Germany, for example?)

So, there you go, there's your non-Ulster bits of the news from Group F

Comment

Magyar rapszódiák

Has there been significant fallout from the crowd trouble in Bucharest?

Some of the Romanians I follow on Twitter were very upset and say that it is becoming expected at Romania/Hungary encounters in other team sports.

Comment

Magyar rapszódiák

I think it will blow over. But there were lots of comments from what you might call the sensible media pointing out that on the same night Poland managed to host Germany, a match with every bit as much non-footballing historical meaning, and everyone gets on just fine.

Comment

Magyar rapszódiák

Morning all. Good summary above by our (Tamas) Erdelyi correspondent. Of course I'm at a loss to explain this recent improvement in form

Our fans have dedicated the win to a guy called Paul Hilditch ('Slabber'), who died suddenly on Saturday evening while leaving the Faroes game in Belfast. RIP.

Comment

Magyar rapszódiák

"The Duncan Gardner big book of photoshopped commentary" would be the world's most cryptic and niche publication.

Anyway, I wonder if your boys will now have seen off Ranieri as you have already seen off Pinter.

Comment

Magyar rapszódiák

A good chance, aye.

I've passed on details of Romania's on- and off-field problems in the Hungary game. A closed-doors game in Bucharest seems to be assumed?

Comment

Magyar rapszódiák

I wouldn't say assumed. Honestly, I think probably it won't be behind closed doors. Up to UEFA I guess. I'd give it a 25% chance of being so.

Comment

Magyar rapszódiák

Worse then that. Only Norn Ireland's fans will be allowed but Draculas will serve as stewards.

I'll get my coat.

Comment

Magyar rapszódiák

Anyway, Group F updates from the other two games. Romania were outplayed by Finland in the first half, but defended well. In the second Chipciu had to go off injured ear;y on in the half, to be replaced by great white aging hope Sanmartean, who promptly changed the game - first taking the corner which Stancu headed home, then by bursting clear on the counter and being taken down by Ring, who was already on a yellow and had to go. From that point onwards there was only one winner, and in the last few minutes Sanmartean laid on another goal for Stancu. The media are obsessed with him, even though if Romania do qualify (and last night's result was big step on the way) he'll be 36 by the time the actual tournament rolls around.

As far as I understand it (though there does seem to be some doubt) Piturca is now on his way to Al Ittihad in KSA, which means that come the next match - home to NI in November - there'll be a new manager in charge. The two main candidates appear to be Laszlo Boloni and Dan Petrescu. The former has turned the job down before, but is currently unemployed so might not do this time if offered, and it might just lessen the poisonous nationalistic sentiment that playing Hungary seems to engender in the Romanian psyche (and vice versa). Petrescu is working and would have to bought out of his contract with whoever it is he manages in Qatar, which might tip the balance in Boloni's favour, though I suspect the media and public would rather have the latter.

Hungary struggled to a 1-0 win in the Faeroes. I turned over after Romania went 2-0 up to watch the last 7 or 8 minutes and it was dreadful stuff, Hungary defending desperately in the hopes of preserving the 1-0 win. Puskas would have been turning in his grave. Still they have won. A win in the next game at home to Finland would give them a shot at least, though they have been disadvantaged by not yet having had the chance to face Greece. Presumably by the time they do, things will have got better in Athens. Dardai has reiterated that he doesn't want the job permanently, so even if they win, they'll be looking for someone to take over for next year.

Comment

Magyar rapszódiák

Magik wrote: Worse then that. Only Norn Ireland's fans will be allowed but Draculas will serve as stewards.

I'll get my coat
                              I hear Ad Hoc's daughters are persuading him to overcome a long aversion to international football and come along to the game using the Alias Ad Haugh...

Comment

Magyar rapszódiák

Our man at Sparta airport reports the NI squad all in economy for the flight back to Blighty. MotM Norwood offered a seat in first with FIFA goon Jim Boyce, but turned it down

Anyway, apology in order. Over the past three years I've been less than fulsome in praise for the usually embattled supremo. "On your bike, Mike", "Leave the field, O'Neill", "Bring in some gnarled Yugoslav or academic Scando" being some of the politer. Now of course I am leading the campaign for the great man to get a contract extension before he fcuks off to manage Inverness Crackden or Gala Fairydust...

Comment

Magyar rapszódiák

Irish FA wrote: Tickets for Northern Ireland’s Euro 2016 qualifier against Romania on Friday 14 November in Bucharest will not go on sale today (17th Oct) as initially announced as the ticket prices have not been confirmed.

The Romania Football Federation has informed the Irish FA that they will not be in a position to give an update on tickets until after their UEFA disciplinary hearing on Thursday 23 October.

UEFA has opened disciplinary proceedings following the European Qualifier group F match between Romania and Hungary on 11 October in Bucharest

Comment

Magyar rapszódiák

The Romanian press is currently reporting that the FRF (Romanian FA) are in talks with Mircea Lucescu to take over the national team - doing both that job and the Shakhtar Donetsk job until next May when his contract expires in Ukraine. I suspect, despite huge success in Donetsk over his 10 year tenure there, that with the current situation in Donetsk and eastern Ukraine in general, he is looking for a way out. So it does make sense

Though the question will be whether the FRF can afford him. He must be on massive wages for Donetsk

Comment

Magyar rapszódiák

Lucescu- the new Sanchez?

Rumors abound in the Bel Air media that now successful supremo Mikey O'Neill will be poached by Killie/ Caley Thistle/ Fulham/ Atleti etc. etc.

Meanwhile, work continues apace at the just about three-sided cauldron of sectarian hatred:

Comment

Magyar rapszódiák

Afternoon all with today's group F news:

- Platini and his UEFA goons are too busy necking slivovic and mainlining Charlie with Azermolduanian hookers. As a result, the disciplinary committee are too stoned to decide whether Romania and Hungary get seriously punished for the brawl at their recent meeting. Which has obviously left Ultonian fans (about 700- 800) in limbo before heading for Bucharest, where they may face a closed stadium

- Anghel Iordanescu is back for his third spell as Romanian supremo (he was in charge at USA 94). His first squad includes Inter starlet George Puscas. Mike O'Neill hasn't called up Ferenc Best of Ballyclare Comrades in response

Comment

Magyar rapszódiák

Buna ziua from Bucuresti (although personally I'll be relying on TV coverage at home) where a thousand-strong Army Group Danube is gathering.

An injury crisis for the visitors means last-minute calls-up for two League One players, one of whom I;ve never previously heard of. Who needs Free-State Lundys, we've got Rochdale starlet Matty Lund!

Comment

Magyar rapszódiák

Carl Winchester has been one of our best players this season. Plays right midfield, central midfield or right back and can show genuine talent picking out a pass, but a lightweight who routinely runs out of steam midway through games.

We've already signed Villa's Daniel Johnson on loan to cover his absence, and I wouldn't be surprised - or heartbroken - if he was sold in January to keep other players at BP/SD.cP.

Matt Lund played for us on loan from Stoke a few years ago. Anonymous loan spell, think he was recalled as we weren't playing him. Don't remember what his supposed strengths were.

Comment

Magyar rapszódiák

Crusoe wrote: Carl Winchester has been one of our best players this season. Plays right midfield, central midfield or right back and can show genuine talent picking out a pass, but a lightweight who routinely runs out of steam midway through games.

We've already signed Villa's Daniel Johnson on loan to cover his absence, and I wouldn't be surprised - or heartbroken - if he was sold in January to keep other players at BP/SD.cP.

Matt Lund played for us on loan from Stoke a few years ago. Anonymous loan spell, think he was recalled as we weren't playing him. Don't remember what his supposed strengths were
                                              Thanks for that. I doubt either will get on, but you never know. I think at least one of them may have played when I saw your boys in an FA Cup tie at Kidderminster a couple of years ago.

It seems my fave TV boffin/ retired rock star Brian Cox is a big Oldham fan. Trouble is, his voice sends me to sleep so after watching every episode of Human Universe I'm still no wiser about astronomy.

Apparently Lund "Tore Leeds a new one" (disgusting expression) in another recent cup tussle. This may not be the career highlight it once was.

Likely side if Davis, Hughes and Ward all miss out:

-----------------Carroll

C.McLaughlin-McAuley-Cathcart-McGivern

McGinn--C.Evans--Baird--Norwood--Brunt

---------------K.Lafferty

Comment

Magyar rapszódiák

Who needs Free-State Lundys, we've got Rochdale starlet Matty Lund!
                                                Heehee.

That DG, he crazy. He even go to Wales to watch Cliftonville.

Comment

Magyar rapszódiák

Some of the Reids support from that game are still probably on a tour of Shrewsbury and Wrexham's night spots...

Comment

Magyar rapszódiák

0-0 at half-time in all 3 games. Which considering Norn Iron are away at Romania, and Greece are at home to the Faroes would suit the N.Irish just fine.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X