Indian Super League

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indian Super League

Not sure if this is going to be broadcast in the UK or indeed outside of India.

However, should Atletico de Kolkata's midfielder, Lawrence score the winning goal in any game, I imagine it will be difficult for reporters to resist punning on his first name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atl%C3%A9tico_de_Kolkata

Indian Super League

Alessandro Del Piero has just signed for Delhi Dynamo.

Comment

Indian Super League

You could at least presume (insinuate) that Michael Chopra needs the money.

Comment

Indian Super League

It is fairly well documented that David James does as well, but the fact that he - like Chopra - has added Kerala Blasters to his CV fascinates me. The guy turned 44 a few weeks ago.

Comment

Indian Super League

A 44 year old "marquee player" who is also the keeper (and coach) says something about the overall standard of the league.

I had understood that Robert Pires was supposed to be playing there as well, but I don't see him in the Wiki.

Comment

Indian Super League

I know Chopra is desperate to represent India internationally and that is another motivation for him.

Comment

Indian Super League

La Gazzetta is reporting that Marco Materazzi is going to take a player/manager role with one of the franchises.

Comment

Indian Super League

My cribbage partner reckons there is a goalkeeper called Shilton Peter playing in the league.

Comment

Indian Super League

atletico kolkata seem to have been very impressed by liverpool's victorious 2005 cl campaign

Comment

Indian Super League

David Trezeguet, after being told he was surplus to requirements at River Plate (who incidentally have started the season in blistering form without him) has signed for Pune City.

What was wrong with inviting East Bengal or Mohun Bagan (or both)? Given the popularity of those two clubs, surely Atlético de Kolkata are going to be feeding on scraps when it comes to picking up local support?

In fact, what happens to the I-League from here?

Comment

Indian Super League

That all seems to be up in the air, though the current plan is for the seasons not to overlap (the ISL is supposed to end in December, whereas the I-League starts in January).

The Super League is slavishly aping cricket's IPL, but there wasn't a domestic 20/20 league for the IPL to displace/compete with (nor were Indian domestic games in other formats drawing any kind of numbers).

Whereas the Kolkata derby gets more than 100,000 people.

They've already had one franchise fold (Bangalore, since replaced with Chennai, which is where Matarazzi is going), and I'm still not convinced this is going to work at all (note that the previous attempt at an IPL-inspired football league in West Bengal never played a game, despite having "signed" guys like Pires, Cannavaro, and Crespo).

Comment

Indian Super League

Nicolas Anelka signs for Mumbai City (managed by Peter Reid).

Comment

Indian Super League

Mutu also on his way to Pune, apparently. The end of season dinner, should they have one, could be a party for the ages.

Comment

Indian Super League

There should be a club called the Snow Leopards.

Comment

Indian Super League

Apparently, there is UK TV coverage:

yes on Star Gold TV (sky809/virgin 801) - midweek games aired in eve UK time“@SportingBengal: @BaljitRihal Are games being televised in UK?”

Comment

Indian Super League

Big Boobs and FIRE! wrote: My cribbage partner reckons there is a goalkeeper called Shilton Peter playing in the league.
                                ALmost. It's his brother, Shilton Paul. He's on the books for Chennaiyin FC.

Comment

Indian Super League

I am very happy to note Luis Garcia is rolling back the years for Atlético de Kolkata.

Comment

Indian Super League

Kolkata's Spanish manager reportedly punched Robert Pires in the face at halftime yesterday.

I assume that they are papering the houses, but the crowds for the matches I've seen clips of have been very impressive.

Comment

Indian Super League

Harry Truscott wrote: I know Chopra is desperate to represent India internationally and that is another motivation for him.
                                      He's just signed for Alloa. Wonder if many scouts from the AIFF make it out there?

Comment

Can't think of a good thread for this, so it might as well go here.

https://twitter.com/JohnGregory77/status/975691883467845632

Comment

A bold choice for the UK's first delegate to the APEC Summit

Comment

So Chennaiyin will be in the AFC Cup preliminary rounds next season, while Minerva Punjab will be directly entered into the group phase. The former are champions of the Indian Super League and the latter champions of the I-League.

A bit more on the split at the top of Indian club football here:
                                            http://indianexpress.com/article/spo...sions-4941022/

Edit - interestingly the article, in looking ahead to the ISL season just finished, didn't mention John Gregory and Chennaiyin at all.
                                            Last edited by Kevin S; 21-03-2018, 12:35.

Comment

Manager Teddy Sheringham was sacked by ATK, incidentally, and replaced by player-manager Robbie Keane. The ISL sounds amazing.

Comment

Like some kind of real life reboot of CM01-02.

Comment

----------------------------------------
                                                  Snake, look, there was a thread! (There's always a thread, isn't there?) Do you want to smash those last few posts from the kit thread over here?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X