Film Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Film Question

This may be a well known fact, but I have only just come across it.

Anyway, which actor appeared in only five films during his entire career and each one of them was Oscar nominated for Best Picture?

Film Question

That is extraordinary — I'd never come across this fact until now, and I wonder if any other actor has even only appeared in two that share this distinction, let alone five. Part of the reason I'd no idea is because I've never seen any of the films in question, but also because I recognise his name well enough from pop-cultural knowledge of several of them for it simply never to have occurred to me that he never made any others. This is mainly, it appears, because he died immediately after shooting his scenes for the last of them.

I'll let others have a go at working out who it is rather than post the name here straight away, partly because I can't immediately think of a suitable replacement question to continue the thread, although — spoilers alert henceforth — I'll add by way of a clue for those who might want one that the films include the Godfather series (for which we can kind of add a sixth to his tally since Part 3 was also Oscar-nominated, in which he appears in reused footage) and The Deer Hunter.

Comment

Film Question

Comment

Film Question

Lee Strasberg? Godfather (Part II) made me think of him. Apart from that, no idea.

Comment

Film Question

Wait, now I have it, thanks to thinking of the Deer Hunter and now garcia's post makes sense.

Comment

Film Question

Velvet Android wrote: Part of the reason I'd no idea is because I've never seen any of the films in question,
            See Dog Day Afternoon...see it soon!

Comment

Film Question

I knew the answer straight away, visually, but I forget his name.

Comment

Film Question

John Cazale was a fine actor. It would have been fascinating to see his career path had he lived. I fear he might have become typecast as Fredo, with the occasional outing as a serial killer in a Scorsese movie.

Comment

Film Question

Cal Alamein wrote:
                  Originally posted by Velvet Android
                  Part of the reason I'd no idea is because I've never seen any of the films in question,
                  See Dog Day Afternoon...see it soon!
                  'Dog Day Afternoon' was on ITV on Friday night, it was due to this that I did an imdb search and uncovered the Cazale fact.

Kudos to Michael Cimino, too, for insisting that Cazale's wish to complete his scenes in 'The Deerhunter' was honoured despite studio pressure to replace him as his cancer worsened. Cazale died soon after filming finished.

Comment

Film Question

Tony C wrote:
                    'Dog Day Afternoon' was on ITV on Friday night, it was due to this that I did an imdb search and uncovered the Cazale fact.
                    I watched and almost started a thread about it: it is an excellent film and I got much more out of it than a previous viewing twenty five odd years ago. The sense of time and place is exceptionally well realised and it is much funnier than I had remembered.

Apart from Pacino and Cazale, Penelope Allen is great as Sylvia, the head teller. Her film career on IMDB is quite thin, which is film's loss on this showing. There isn't a weak performance in the film though. Anyone working backwards through Pacino's career would find more to recognise of his antic later performances here than in the chilly repose of his Michael Corleone.

Comment

Film Question

I tend to trace Shouty Pacino back to Scarface, but of course he did a fair bit of shouting in Dog Day Afternoon. "Attica!"

I seem to recall Mad magazine's parody of Dog Day Afternoon being very good.

Comment

Film Question

B*gger - knew it was due on, just not when. Great movie, which I first saw via a crude form of hotel-room movie box around 1976.

I seem to recall Mad magazine's parody of Dog Day Afternoon being very good.
                        I remember that - Dum Dum Afternoon. And it was pretty funny.

Comment

Film Question

Ooo...this is eerie. I told Mrs WOM this fact just the other day when GF2 was on. It was the scene where they go fishing as dusk.

Comment

Working...
                          X