Mel Gibson's return (Expendables 3)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't seen the first two Expendables films and don't intend to see this one. But having seen the trailer and marvelled at how they have shoehorned just about every action movie star of the last 30 years into one trailer, I was still a bit surprised they included Mel Gibson.

He seems to be taking on a main role - the villain of the piece, no less.

I imagine the film will be esactly like the trailer. Explosion. Big star cameo. Ridiculous stunt. Explosion. Big star cameo. Jason Statham mangles some dialogue. Explosion. Big star cameo. Slick one-liner from big star cameo, probably referencing the film they originally shot to fame in. Explosion.

And repeat the sequence.

This movie got a rating of 10,3* on IMDb before it even hit theaters. I know it was available to stream free about 2-3 weeks ago.

* Don't ask me how.

Comment

Well, when you watch it, post a review here. I'd be interested to know what you think of it.

Comment

You can get my review now. I've seen the trailer for the first and that's enough for me. My review is right below in this very post...

Comment

I've said it before and I'll say it again. they're lucrative, they get the fanboys going and they appeal to the crowd who want something a little more old school than a shitty Michael Bay explodathon, but I'm amazed at how studios will pay Sly Stallone an awful lot of money to get his self-aggrandising comboy-and-indians fantasies on screen. He's the only movie star I know where he chooses or creates vehicles to promote his wish-fulfilments and emphasise the more lumpenly-heroic side of himself. Some movie stars/actors will, from time to time, choose roles that contrast wildly with the image audiences expect of them, but Stallone seems to come up with these bullish, shiny-muscled promotional ads which seem to want to reveal the inner Action Man/Charles Atlas within him. Perhaps his warehouse-shaped physique and ridiculously macho (and self-cultivated) image has prevented him from ever doing another Copland, but, well, audiences go for him and you can't argue with popularity.

Well, I suspect you can actually.

Comment

I went to see "An Evening With Sylvester Stallone" at the MEN (or whatever it's called now) a couple of weeks ago. £75 a ticket.

It was one of the strangest nights of my life. Stallone turned up late, and by the time he came on the audience were mostly angry or drunk. So then it was 2 hours of heckling & stage-invasions , with a very confused Stallone looking like he was going to have his manager killed later.

The thing it reminded me of most was when Partidge does his "Evening With Sue Cook" in the Travel lodge. Lovely stuff.

Comment

ian.64 wrote: Stallone seems to come up with these bullish, shiny-muscled promotional ads which seem to want to reveal the inner Action Man/Charles Atlas within him. Perhaps his warehouse-shaped physique and ridiculously macho (and self-cultivated) image has prevented him from ever doing another Copland.
              I thought he was excellent in Copland - it's a pity he didn't take his own advice and search out similar, more serious roles - but it's been 17 years already. I suppose he needs the cash.

Comment

I don't think Rocky or First Blood was that much about flexing muscle. Together with Copland his best. The rest I can live without. Maybe Lock up if it's on TV.

Comment

First Blood is an excellent film.

Tango and Cash is a load of old bollocks, but I'll happily watch it.

Comment

If Stallone's movie output is up for critique, the entire Schwarzenegger success i plain weird. He is one of the worst actors ever. You can't even laugh at his scenes, that's how terrible he is. Married a Kennedy and became governor.
                    He's single-handedly devalued "only in America"

Comment

Ah, come on. You didn't enjoy 'Commando' or 'Predator'? Even 'Red Heat' has its moments.

Comment

Predator is alright. The second is better.
                        The other two, terrible.

Comment

I've not seen any of these, but was disappointed to see Mel would be appearing in this one. I was hoping he'd enjoy a well-deserved shunning in Hollywood.

Comment

Terminator, Total Recall, I'll give him that. First one he didn't have to say much, thank god. The second special effects were the main star.

Comment

WOM wrote: I've not seen any of these, but was disappointed to see Mel would be appearing in this one. I was hoping he'd enjoy a well-deserved shunning in Hollywood.
                              That is quite evidently a shunning. As far as I know the third in his trilogy isn't even at pre-production.

Comment

Pietro Paolo Virdis wrote: Terminator, Total Recall, I'll give him that. First one he didn't have to say much, thank god. The second special effects were the main star.
                                Terminator and Total Recall, of course, as well as Running Man. The comedy stuff he did like Kindergarten Cop and Twins were ok as I remember. True Lies, a mixture of the two, was ok as well. You get the impression that Schwarzenegger knows that he has lucked out into this and enjoys doing fairly self-deprecating roles (even Terminator could be seen as that). Stallone not so much.

Comment

I went to see "An Evening With Sylvester Stallone" at the MEN (or whatever it's called now) a couple of weeks ago. £75 a ticket.

It was one of the strangest nights of my life. Stallone turned up late, and by the time he came on the audience were mostly angry or drunk. So then it was 2 hours of heckling & stage-invasions , with a very confused Stallone looking like he was going to have his manager killed later.

The thing it reminded me of most was when Partidge does his "Evening With Sue Cook" in the Travel lodge. Lovely stuff.

I would've liked to have seen that. I still remember the anecdote (maybe true, maybe not) when Elton John invited Stallone to his house/mansion/estate in England and both settled down, at Elton's behest, to watch a bit of telly. What transpired was that Elton had taped Spitting Image from the night before (we're talking '80's here) and treated the be-muscled one to a good old half-an-hour's spongey-latexed British satire. And on that particular episode was a piss-take of Stallone in all his caricatured Fluck-and-Law-sculpted glory.

Stallone, enraged by this mickey-taking, gets up, grabs the telly and chucks it out the window. Frosty atmos ensues. Self-deprecation, it seems, was not a component of Stallone's make-up at the time.

Comment

I watched Over the Top in a hotel room in Germany(über der Spitze, mit Stalloneie). It was on the TV, I didn't go to Germany to watch it. Anyway, I couldn't get the subtitles to work, so just watched it in German. Even though I don't speak a lick of German, I was able to follow the entire plot and character arcs, emotional beats and triumphant climax. That either speaks to the universal inclusiveness of the film - and, indeed, the medium itself- or that it was so sh1t that a bath-map could keep up. It is a film about arm-wrestling, mind. Hmm. I'm going for the former.

Comment

I got dragged to see this last night (I hadn't made any plans for the evening and I'd had a few beers).

Mel Gibson is the best thing in it.

You've also got Kelsey Grammar playing a grizzled hardman and Harrison Ford looking very old indeed.

Arnie kind of strolls around with a cigar in his mouth. Stallones mumbling reaches new heights. Wesley Snipes is funny for ten minutes and disappears. Jason Statham does what Jason Statham does.

Comment

I quite like Terry Crews' big anxious man schtick but imagine it is seen to better effect in his sitcoms than these films.

Comment

Stallone's best ever moment on film.

No chance I will ever pay any money to see a film with Gibson in it.

Comment

Harrison Ford is sporting a sheepish They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house! face on the bus posters for this thing.

Comment

George wrote: Harrison Ford is sporting a sheepish They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house! face on the bus posters for this thing.
                                              Ha ha.

He does sport that expression for most of the film. Although his default demeanour is grumpy.

Comment

If it wasn't for the outrageous amounts of money he can earn from appearing in movies you suspect he would have have been happy enough to have stayed in Chicago working has a joiner. Or whatever it was he did before becoming an actor. Everything about his body language suggests he long since stopped giving a fuck. The fact that his career has drifted for most of the last two decades probably isn't a coincidence either although his age has likely been a factor as well.
                                                The last thing I saw him in was some LA cop movie with Josh Hartnett (yeah, I had to look up his name), and it was pretty dire. Ford's character seemed to spend most of his time talking about or trying to flog some house.

Comment

Hollywood Homicide

Comment

Working...
                                                  X