Most overrated movie you've seen - Knock-out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

According to 2014 football world cup format, you nominate four and then we'll vote each group.

My group:
    1. Citizen Kane
    2. Kill Bill (any of them)
    3. Donny Darko
    4. Bicycle Thieves

1.Scarface: Boring, borderline racist, overly sentimental, poorly written drivel.
    2. Apocalypse Now: Martin Sheen staring at a ceiling fan isn't interesting.
    3. Forest Gump: So much wrong with this movie it's hard to find a place to start.
    4.Aliens: everything James Cameron adds to the franchise makes it worse.

Comment

Working from the imdb top 250:

Godfather (#2)
      Godfather II (#3)
      The Matrix (#19)
      Gladiator (#47)

Comment

Lots of wrongness so far.

Comment

Citizen Kane may not be as impressive as its reputation suggests, but it was a total game changer. Greg Toland's camerawork itself was revolutionary and still is marvellous today. To call Citizen Kane overrated is like saying Alfredo di Stefano is a overrated because he didn't play like our footballers today.

The Bicycle Thieves is a bizarre nomination, too.

Comment

I can't think of 4, but would like to nominate, in case anyone's got a spot left over, The Princess Bride. There are one or two funny bits, but really...why do people seem to love this film so much? It's seriously mediocre (and that's before that execrable Billy Crystal cameo)

Comment

Three Colours Blue: I think I'm in a minority of one, but I just couldn't connect with Juliette Binoche's character
              The Shining: Beautifully shot but spoiled by Nicholson's hammy performance
              Apocalypse Now: I like it until Marlon Brando appears
              Breakfast at Tiffany's: Fluff. Good soundtrack though.

Comment

My four:

1. Scarface: Overlong, histrionic soap opera which turned Al Pacino from a good actor into a shouting man.

2. Apocalypse Now: Marlon Brando's piss-take turn undermines whatever good there might have been in a pretty dull movie.

3. The Deerhunter: A bunch of method-actors get really, really tense in a world where the opposite of the joylessness it portrays isn't joy, but just a little less joylessness. A right-wing agenda played up by a bunch of hams shooting for Oscar glory.

4. A Night At The Opera: It's not a film I hate by any means. Parts of it make me smile. But it has aged terribly, and by the time the film was made, the Marx Brothers had lost their subversive ways(that's why I didn't choose Duck Soup). Today, the humour of the Marx Brothers simply is dated. It might amuse slightly, but it doesn't rip the roars. And artistically, no Marx Brothers movie merits great plaudits. A Night At The Opera deserves respect, but not adulation.

Comment

ad hoc wrote: I can't think of 4, but would like to nominate, in case anyone's got a spot left over, The Princess Bride. There are one or two funny bits, but really...why do people seem to love this film so much? It's seriously mediocre (and that's before that execrable Billy Crystal cameo)
                  Inconceivable! I agree with you on the Crystal cameo, but you are very wrong otherwise.

Comment

2001 A Space Odyssey.

Withnail and I

A Clockwork Orange

The English Patient

Bubbling under…..

Lost in Translation

Comment

ad hoc wrote: I can't think of 4, but would like to nominate, in case anyone's got a spot left over, The Princess Bride. There are one or two funny bits, but really...why do people seem to love this film so much? It's seriously mediocre (and that's before that execrable Billy Crystal cameo)
                      (thumbs up)

It's an okay movie. I don't understand why everyone loves it so much.

Most overrated:

Moulin Rouge

American Hustle

Gosford Park

Drive

(assuming that ad hoc's nomination of The Princess Bride is accepted, otherwise please take out American Hustle and substitute Princess Bride for that).

Comment

1. Vicky Cristina Barcelona. Overrated in the sense that it wasn't heavily flagged as being creepy, dull and an utter waste of time.

2. Hot Fuzz. Pegg and Frost leave me cold. The person I watched it with said, 'Well at least it looks like they had fun making it.' Quite.

3. Vertigo. Lends itself well to critical theorising, distracting from how ludicrous it is. Not even Hitchcock's best of the '50s, let alone the best of all time.

4. The Princess Bride. Ad hoc speaks the truth here.

Comment

Princess Bride is fantastic. You're mad.

Scarface isn't good. But I don't think many critics ever thought it was.

The Matrix is kind of ridiculous in some ways but really ground-breaking and fantastic in others.

The Gladiator just wasn't all that good.

Apocalypse Now is great, albeit about 90 minutes too long.

I've never been able to finish The Deer Hunter.

Agree on Breakfast at Tiffany's and it has that racist bit in it.

Comment

There's some proper wrongness on here. Especially from BoE.

Anyway.

The Godfather
                            Hugo
                            Saving Private Ryan

Comment

The Godfather isn't as good as the second, but it's still fantastic and rewatchable. I liked Hugo a lot. I don't understand the hate.

SPR is well-done, but overrated. Avatar was meh.

Comment

Reed John wrote:
                                I've never been able to finish The Deer Hunter.
                                The pasting that Michael Cimino took for Heaven's Gate has always seemed unfair in that it is exactly the type of film that anyone who had seen The Deerhunter might have expected from its director. Give him the money to run amok or turn him away - don't give him the money and then complain that he hasn't turned into Don Siegel.

Comment

Saving Private Ryan is overrated but i would never put it as the most overrated film. The battle scenes are wonderful cinema and thus it deserves to be rated a bit for that.

I would happily agree with any shout out for The Deer Hunter here. I watched it all the way through but was bored and disconnected.

Comment

hobbes wrote: There's some proper wrongness on here. Especially from BoE.

Anyway.

The Godfather
                                    Hugo
                                    Saving Private Ryan
                                    Ha ha, both of us true to form.

Comment

Reed John wrote: Lots of wrongness so far.
                                      Don't do this, already

Comment

Thank you! I am not the only one.

Comment

Bored of Education wrote: 2001 A Space Odyssey.

Withnail and I

A Clockwork Orange

The English Patient

Bubbling under…..

Lost in Translation
                                          Holy shit, this will be some tough ones to vote down. All of those four I've given more than one chance and they simply bore me to death.

Comment

For a thread that's basically meant to be awash with wrongness there's a huge amount of right being spouted.

Anyway, assuming we can't have repeats

Solaris - either version, but let's say Tarkovsky's soul-sucking dullathon for this
                                            Black Swan
                                            Good Will Hunting
                                            Dead Poets Society

Comment

I seem to be the only one here who really enjoyed The Deer Hunter.

Comment

I like all of LLR's group.

Comment

Apart from the two Godfather movies, Scarface and Apocalypse Now -- all of which I really liked -- I've seen hardly any of the films cited on this thread thus far. I suppose this must be down to my magnificently unerring nose for good cinema. [/controversial]

Comment

Working...
                                                  X