X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mad Max: Fury Road

First trailer is up. Excited.

Was wondering whether to post that up on here. I have now watched this trailer 3 times. LIttle bit excited. Miller has kept it true to II but seems to have added a bit of Gladiator to it as well. He also told the designers only to use existing vehicles which makes it look tremendous. Tom Hardy looks good as well. I was genuinely surprised Crowe didn't got for it but then realised he is almost twice Gibson's age when the original MM came out and only 8 years off Gibson.

Comment

Is this a remake or a sequel?
      If It's a remake, I can only wonder why they'd do one.
      If it's a sequel (or prequel, take your pick), it seems as not much has been added to the story except more spectacular stunts.

Comment

It's a sequel that somehow picks up on and reimagines itself from halfway through Mad Max 2. It is further complicated by including the same characters that are different and having actors from the other films - the guy that played the Toecutter, for instance - playing different characters.

This would normally be a bother it looks like the whole thing is going to be a 2 hour car chase.

Comment

Bored of Education wrote:
          This would normally be a bother it looks like the whole thing is going to be a 2 hour car chase.
          Well, the impression I get is that it's trying to live off the Fast and Furious hype. Why re-make a perfect 80's film?

Comment

Yeah, who could possibly want more of a good thing?

Comment

Pietro Paolo Virdis wrote: Why re-make a perfect 80's film?

It's a Hollywood film, FFS. Why do you think?

Comment

The original feels a bit slow in the beginning and some of the actors are hard to understand. And because of Mel Gibson's antisemitic stuff, it's probably harder to sell the originals to cable and so forth. And of course, the new one will be in HD, etc, so it will just look better.

I also think Hardy is a just plain better actor for the role and perhaps in general.

Comment

Mad Max II is a classic. Whatever this is, it's not Mad Max IV.

Comment

In a perfect world, it would have been 4 and Mel would've been in it and would've shown how Makes (Max in Aussie ekcent) dies.

I was underwhelmed. Road Warrior is a hugely important movie for me, as it was the first movie I saw on cable in 1984, then the first vhs tape I had, then the first 4-head vhs tape I had, then first DVD I had (had meaning "had and played first on a newfangled machine.")

The beauty of the first batch, was that it could actually happen....AS IN IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED. People really were on motorbikes and driving 18-wheelers and shooting crossbows and screaming and fucking whilst in tents that really got pulled off of them fucking whilst in tents.

It's why Cirque de Soleil is still in business. CGI is nice, but show me something human beings can do with their bodies, not their Nuke or Maya software.

Comment

jason voorhees wrote: In a perfect world, it would have been 4 and Mel would've been in it and would've shown how Makes (Max in Aussie ekcent) dies.

I was underwhelmed. Road Warrior is a hugely important movie for me, as it was the first movie I saw on cable in 1984, then the first vhs tape I had, then the first 4-head vhs tape I had, then first DVD I had (had meaning "had and played first on a newfangled machine.")

The beauty of the first batch, was that it could actually happen....AS IN IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED. People really were on motorbikes and driving 18-wheelers and shooting crossbows and screaming and fucking whilst in tents that really got pulled off of them fucking whilst in tents.
                      …and really breaking their legs in crash scenes (although not really dying as the myth went when I was a kid)

Comment

That looks a bit cray.(the trailer)

I'm sold. Take my money cinema man.

Comment

Between this and the Star Wars trailers, I am not sure I need the films.

Comment

My feelings hath doth changed from thine firste poste I madeth.

Taketh my coin, cinema gentry.

Comment

Even the posters make me give out yelps of excitement.

This and the Star Wars film are going to be shit, aren't they~

Comment

All the posters I've seen have been pony. This one in particular is awful, reminds me of that awful 'Tank Girl' movie and the way Hardy is hamfistedly cut & pasted in makes him look like Where's Wally ;

Comment

The one I have shown is excellent as, a, he looks great and it is a cool image and, b, it takes you a minute to realise he is upside down.

The villain one is great as well.

The main thing is, of course, that they aren't works of art, they are promo for an awesome film

Comment

Yes, though a) you started a discussion on the quality of the posters and b) I feel they don't promote the film very well.

Comment

Firstly, no, I started a conversation on how the posters made me yelp with excitement.

Secondly, they made me yelp with excitement therefore they promote the film to me very well although I appreciate that they may not to you. As both of us are going to see the film anyway, I expect the PR people aren't using the posters to sell to us but to the sort of demographic that has forgotten or never knew "Tank Girl"

Comment

Actually I'm a bit underwhelmed about the whole thing so far. The trailers I've seen are all a bit "Monty Python do Grand Guignol" and not in a good way.

I'm sure I may end up seeing it but it's not top of my list in terms of forthcoming releases.

Comment

I was wrong. The demographic - certainly at the 3D 12.15 showing this morning, was parents who had seen the originals taking their kids who had grown up on Fast and Furious. Just like me, the wife and the boy in fact. Has anyone else seen it yet? If so, have you not reviewed it because you were underwhelmed.

It wasn't quite all car chase but after about 45 minutes, it goes quiet and you finally let out a breath. It is incredibly shot in places. The 3D goes from excellent to slightly cheesy (but entertaining) but the main thing is that, having seen 3D films in 2D before, the shots that were made for 3D make you feel like you are missing something so I always got for the 3D option now.

To be honest, my main issue was Tom Hardy being in it but they don't give him - or anyone else - much dialogue to ruin but they give it a good go. You may have realised from the pre-publicity but it is pretty much Theron's film.

But, you know, it is all about the cars and they are excellent. There is even a MK1 Jag in it. There isn't quite enough Interceptor action but at least it is back. All three of us loved it.

Comment

Some great action scenes. Brilliant, simply brilliant landscape. The film dropped like a stone in a skinkhole in my rating when the skinheads playing gigantic drums on the back of a truck, and the bloke playing the electric guitarr on the hood of a truck, when they entered the film. Utter bullshit. Then again, Miller has called it a rock video.

Comment

I loved it but have been struggling to sum up all my thoughts on it.

Regarding 3D though it was shot in 2D and shown to critics in 2D. Which pleased my as I can't be doing with toy theatre look of 3D films like Avengers.

Comment

Bored of Education wrote: the main thing is that, having seen 3D films in 2D before, the shots that were made for 3D make you feel like you are missing something so I always got for the 3D option now.
                                                Jeez, they must have seen you coming ( though as a blurred cut-out with 30% light loss).

Comment

Yeah, that was really what struck me about the whole film.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X