We are the world - USA for Africa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can someone tell me who's in the Sun City video @1:46? To the right with him and Bruce @1:52.

Comment

G-Man wrote: It's not very good at all, but you ought to hear some of the charity singles released in Britain after Band Aid. Your ears will bleed.
      Sorry for the late reply.
      Sometimes I read and agree but forget to acknowledge a truth been said.
      In Sweden, there were a couple of these spin-offing. There was a heavy-metal one when if you look at it now, it's making you think the cause would rather not be affiliated with them.

Comment

indysleaze wrote: I really like it. I don't know why. It just works for me. I walk this path alone. Also won a pub quiz once because I was the only one in the room who knew 1) the first line, and 2) who sang it.
        1) There comes a time... 2) ...when Lionel's made a shitty song.

Comment

Can someone tell me who's in the Sun City video @1:46? To the right with him and Bruce @1:52.

Herbie Hancock?

Comment

Selected Ambient Works 85-92 wrote: Both songs are shocking and almost unlistenable. The keyboards on the Band Aid one sound like they're held together with sellotape and a bit of string.
            Isn't the keyboard thing, the point? Playing with a broken instrument?
            Band Aid is brilliant for how fast it was done, the chorus, and as someone upthread said "Do they know it's Christmas time at all..", that's some words you can't shit all over.

Comment

Amor de Cosmos wrote: Can someone tell me who's in the Sun City video @1:46? To the right with him and Bruce @1:52.

Herbie Hancock?
              You know, that could be him!
              Would make the song even greater.

Comment

As far as artists goes, I think the Sun City one beats both Band Aid and USA for Africa by miles.

Bruce, Herbie (if that's him), Run DMC, Peter Gabriel, George Clinton, Joey Ramone, Eddie Kendricks, Ruben Blades...

Comment

Hear'n Aid - "Stars"
                  Grab your cock and wail. Suffer through 4 minutes of dainty guitar solos. Laugh at seeing Ted Nugent, Blackie Lawless, David St. Hubbins and many others on backing vocals.

No one more effectively tugs on the collective heartstrings of a nation than that of poodle-permed rockers.

Comment

If you meant my opening post, not what I was suggesting. He wrote Billie Jean after all.

What I meant was that compared to such dire efforts as Earth Song, Heal the world and Liberian girl it still competes as his worst.
                    Fair enough - nothing with which I'd disagree there. When I hear Earth Song (ie, not often), I can only ever see Jarvis's arse. Which tends to improve it immeasurably.

You're right about (Ain't Gonna Play) Sun City as well. Best charity collaboration by some distance.

Comment

Pietro Paolo Virdis wrote:
                      Band Aid is brilliant for how fast it was done, the chorus, and as someone upthread said "Do they know it's Christmas time at all..", that's some words you can't shit all over.
                      Well, the lyrics were cobbled together quickly, so one shouldn't be too critical, but they are really not very good at all. And even time pressure cannot excuse the line about the snow in Africa.

Comment

Is it wrong? Is there snow anywhere in Africa in late December other than some very high mountains?

Comment

Tramp The Dirt Down wrote: Does anyone remember a 2-Tone collaboration charity single (post Band Aid) called Starvation/Tam Tam Pour L'Ethiopiewhich was a minor UK hit in 1985?
                          I had completely forgotten about this until prompted here. One detail that is very evocative of its time is that Madness' vanity label, which it came out on, was called Zarjazz.

Comment

Reed John wrote: Is it wrong? Is there snow anywhere in Africa in late December other than some very high mountains?
                            Accuracy isn't really the point here. If a song made the unironical observation that New Yorkers won't go to the beach for suntanning in February, we'd be pretty scathing about it.

As I said, the lyrics were written in a rush, so one can excuse them, but they are terrible nonetheless.

WOM can punch me now.

Comment

Absolutely - those lyrics might be dodgy, but, so what? If we're going to dismiss a hit tune on those grounds, then that's 75% of pop history wiped clean for a start.

Comment

We should be so luckee. Luckee. Luckee. Luckee.

Comment

Working...
                                X