Modern Feminist Anthem, or...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

... a licence to indulge to the detriment of an individual's health? Or, you know, something else entirely? These are the questions someone's probably asking about Meghan Trainor's All About That Bass, which is here.

Observations: she's not unhealthily fat, and people aren't always overweight due to "indulging".

If she wore a black dress she'd look curvy rather than hefty.

Thinking about what boys like to hold onto, and having swipes at "skinny bitches" and "silicone Barbies" mean that no, it is not a feminist anthem.

Comment

Correct on all counts.

I suspect her major label had a look at her and thought "she's not skinny enough to be a regular popstar so let's market her as a plus-size popstar instead to generate publicity." I doubt anyone who saw her walking down the street would think she was overweight.

And as MsD pointed out, it fits into that recent trend of enpowering non-stick-thin women by dismissing stick-thin women, and is also pretty much all written from the perspective of what is or isn't attractive to men. Not feminist, and musically awful to boot.

Comment

This awful.

Comment

I mean, just from a purely musical point of view. It's terrible.

Comment

Working...
          X