A moment's applause for Mesut Ozil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, what did you mean, then? Because it sounded like you were suggesting that if a story is nice, no-one should question its veracity.

Comment

Back on topic, this one does appear to be legit; although I've only just become aware of it via English-language Twitter, there are a bunch of Argentine sources from the last week or so backing it up.

The Argentine squad have donated AR$135,000 (for some reason this has become 'their entire World Cup bonuses' in a lot of English-language reports, even though the donation was made before the tournament) to a cancer hospital in Buenos Aires.

If many more of these stories emerge we'll have to resort to ignoring the ones who donate and singling out for the vilification the ones who don't; it'll save a lot more time...

Comment

Amor de Cosmos wrote: And an irrelevant and inconsequential contribution it turned out to be.
        Yes, but not untrue.

Comment

Calvert wrote:
          So what, you just make stuff up?
          Amor's clearly just too nice a guy a to tell you to fuck off.
          I'm not, though, so fuck off.

The guy posted something in good faith he believed to be true, turns out it wasn't.
          So what?
          Oh, stick your oar in, why don't you.

So what? Well, it makes you look a bit silly when it turns out not to be true. Good faith or not. Nice guy or not.

Comment

Sam wrote: Well, what did you mean, then? Because it sounded like you were suggesting that if a story is nice, no-one should question its veracity.
            Had a few beer yesterday so sorry for the language.

I was mostly wondering where ones priority lie if you hear of a story about player X donating sum Y and ones fingertips itch to such extent that you feel the urge to point out how not true that story is. Or to point out how much he earns and how little it affects his ballance on the bank account.

There are greater stories of bullshit to put right.

Comment

Jongudmund wrote:
              Originally posted by Calvert
              So what, you just make stuff up?
              Amor's clearly just too nice a guy a to tell you to fuck off.
              I'm not, though, so fuck off.

The guy posted something in good faith he believed to be true, turns out it wasn't.
              So what?
              Oh, stick your oar in, why don't you.

So what? Well, it makes you look a bit silly when it turns out not to be true. Good faith or not. Nice guy or not.
              Looking a bit silly on this, or any other MB, has never been a concern for me. It's going to happen from time-to-time. To everyone. And sometimes, as in this case, it's worth it. I didn't know about these spurious donations, and wouldn't have if I hadn't written the OP. That's because people on here who are genuinely interested in facts — and not in merely making snarky, comments — came up with some relevant information.

Comment

Pietro Paolo Virdis wrote:
                Originally posted by Sam
                Well, what did you mean, then? Because it sounded like you were suggesting that if a story is nice, no-one should question its veracity.

I was mostly wondering where ones priority lie if you hear of a story about player X donating sum Y and ones fingertips itch to such extent that you feel the urge to point out how not true that story is. Or to point out how much he earns and how little it affects his ballance on the bank account.

There are greater stories of bullshit to put right.
                So if someone knows something and can correct a fabricated story (which the person who posted the story is fine to find out), then they shouldn't, because there are more pressing priorities? The whole board is one big diversion, why draw the line with this?

Comment

I don't know Inca. I've been in a pretty foul mood for a a week or so due to some reasons, which shouldn't have spilled over on OTF.

I think more than the corrections what annoyed me was the pointing out how much money Özil makes. Which I truly think is digging for a flaw in a good moment.

And I think I'm a bit pissed off at social media in general. It's been gathering for a while, I reckon. You can't post anything without at least one person finding a flaw in it. You can't even post such obvious that Michael Jackson's Billie Jean is one hell of a song, Stanley Kubrick was one hell of a movie maker, Edwin Moses was one hell of an athlete or James Rodriguez goal when he chested it down then left-footed it up the roof, without someone wanting to point out something negative. I've noticed it's making me negative.

Sorry for lashing out.

Comment

I know what you mean about social media.

Anyway, this argument is one I don't think is worth keeping going.

Comment

Incandenza wrote: I know what you mean about social media.

Anyway, this argument is one I don't think is worth keeping going.
                      And anyway, apolgy for I being a dick in some comments, especially towards you past days.

Comment

Thanks, okay.

Comment

After the Soma mining disaster in Turkey there were reports that Didier Drogba had donated €1,000,000.

This turned out to be untrue.

Comment

The Algerian team have now announced a donation of 100 000 dollars for the children of Gaza and expressed their solidarity.

Don pour les enfants de Gaza :
                            Les joueurs de l’équipe nationale et la FAF ont décidé d’octroyer un don de 10 millions de dinars (100 000 dollars) aux enfants de Gaza et leur expriment toute leur solidarité.

Comment

Regardless of whether true or not, I feel uncomfortable with rich people announcing donations to charity. It comes across as PR (which in most cases it probably is).

Comment

Defensive minded wrote: Regardless of whether true or not, I feel uncomfortable with rich people announcing donations to charity. It comes across as PR (which in most cases it probably is).
                                A bit tricky that. I agree somewhat, but making it public might also inspire/trigger other rich people to do the same. In this case, it might actually make other players donate big chunks of their own bonus. Something they might have not without someone stepping up first.

Comment

True. When it becomes a major article then I can see Defensive minded's point...I roll my eyes when some reporter has been following an athlete/coach around to write a story, and mentions about how they don't do it for publicity and isn't seeking any attention--then why agree to have a reporter follow you around?

But if it's a donation and they aren't going out of their ways to draw attention to themselves, I don't see a problem with it.

Comment

Pietro Paolo Virdis wrote:
                                    Originally posted by Sam
                                    Missed this a few days ago, PPV - apology accepted.

(I realise it's not really the OTF thing to say that, but what the hell.)

Comment

Working...
                                    X