A moment's applause for Mesut Ozil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If there's one thing Mesut Özil is interested in, it's money. His entire career from a young age has followed the question "Where can I earn the most money without having to break into sweat?"

He's a hugely talented player who just isn't that interested. I'll never forget the incident in the Cup Final when Bayern, who were 2-0 up, were attacking through the middle, and Özil bent down to tie his shoe laces and let the Bayern midfielder run past him. With him and Marko Marin in midfield, Frings and Pizaaro (who really impressed me) had to do double running.

It's a shame, because I was starting to like Arsenal.

Comment

Defensive minded wrote: His entire career from a young age has followed the question "Where can I earn the most money without having to break into sweat?"
      Mine too.

Comment

Hot Orange wrote:
        Originally posted by Defensive minded
        His entire career from a young age has followed the question "Where can I earn the most money without having to break into sweat?"
        Mine too.
        You're a professional footballer?

Comment

I suspect it applies in most lines of work.

Apparently he refused to shake the hand of some FIFA minion whom he knew to be supportive of Zionist state terrorism.
          Fair dos. Just trying to imagine someone like Wilshere doing that. Or even knowing what it meant.

Comment

Shaking someone's hand would mean putting his fag out first.

Arf.

Comment

Hot Orange wrote:
              Originally posted by Defensive minded
              His entire career from a young age has followed the question "Where can I earn the most money without having to break into sweat?"
              Mine too.
              Yep, sounds good to me too.

I thought Ozil did pretty well at the World Cup, and was impressive at least some of the time, including in the most important match of all. The one match where he wasn't very good was in the match where his team needed him least.

He certainly deserved his place in the final.

Comment

Ozil is a supporting cast player on superstar wages and with superstar billing. He's obviously very talented but he's always going to disappoint, while doing enough to give people favourable to him something to cling to.

Comment

I would agree with that, TAB.

Funnily enough when I started thinking about similar players the ones who sprung to mind were Cazorla and Walcott.

It's a very Arsenal trait.

Comment

Ozil is a superstar, an ever present in the German World Cup winning team and who has been a regular in the German team since he was 19. he won the domestic league with Real Madrid and Cups in 3 different countries .He's always going to disappoint Manchester United fans and others with an axe to grind.

You used to be such a nice chap, Tony. What's changed you- wallowing in £50 notes at the Etihad Stadium?

Comment

Ozil had a great chance to score in the first half against Brazil, but instead squared the ball. Which is as Arsenal as you can get, really.

Comment

Amor de Cosmos wrote:
                        Originally posted by Jongudmund
                        Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos
                        Who plants this stuff, and why?
                        I'm surprised they get posted on here without some fact-checking.
                        This is a message board not a scholarly publication, nor even a daily newspaper.
                        So what, you just make stuff up?

Comment

Guy donates money to help 23 sick kids in Brazil, can't hate on that.

Comment

Speaking of rolling in £50 notes it should be remembered that arsenal are paying him 4,000 of them every week that's enough to fill a decent sized bath even after tax.

Comment

Nefertiti2 wrote: Ozil is a superstar, an ever present in the German World Cup winning team and who has been a regular in the German team since he was 19. he won the domestic league with Real Madrid and Cups in 3 different countries .He's always going to disappoint Manchester United fans and others with an axe to grind.
                              As a fan of the German team, I like Ozil and want him to do well. And as a Köln fan, I love Lukas Podolski and have no axe to grind. There is no Man Utd impusle at play when I say that Podolski is not a great player at all, and that Ozil has been disappointing for the last two tournaments.

Now, that doesn't mean he has been terrible, but he has not played as well as one might have hoped for. He ran a lot for the team, I must give him that. But a fit and in-form Gündogan would have seen Ozil on the bench.

Comment

What's changed you- wallowing in £50 notes at the Etihad Stadium?

Yes.

Comment

Jongudmund wrote:
                                  This is a message board not a scholarly publication, nor even a daily newspaper.
                                  No I don't "make stuff up." And frankly I find that allegation offensive. I post things I find interesting in order to promote discussion and maybe learn something in the process. Which has been the case on this thread.

Comment

G-Man wrote: But a fit and in-form Gündogan would have seen Ozil on the bench.
                                    Hätte, hätte, Damentoilette, das Leben findet nicht im Konjunktiv statt, usw.

I hope Gündogan gets fit and goes on to have a glorious career. However, until he gets fit - properly fit, not Ledley King-like fit -, he'll still have only played about 100 Bundesliga games and will have gained two caps.

Özil has played at least twice as many league games, in three different countries, and has 50 to 60 more full international caps.

Of course, the number of games and the number of countries you've played them in doesn't automatically mean you're a great player, otherwise Rudi Gutendorf would be a better coach than all the rest of them put together. But Özil has proved he can be good for a reasonable period of time. Gündogan - who's only two years younger than Özil - has shown great potential, but no more than that.

I fear that Gündogan's injury problems are going to see him end up as one of those Germany midfielders in recent years - Sebastian Deisler, say, or, to a lesser extent, Marcel Ketelaer and Sebastian Schindzielorz - who never live up to the early billing.

Comment

Amor de Cosmos wrote:
                                      No I don't "make stuff up." And frankly I find that allegation offensive. I post things I find interesting in order to promote discussion and maybe learn something in the process. Which has been the case on this thread.
                                      Be as offended as you like. My contribution to the conversation was to question why people would post stuff without checking the facts.

Comment

And an irrelevant and inconsequential contribution it turned out to be.

Comment

The Awesome Berbaslug!!! wrote: Speaking of rolling in £50 notes it should be remembered that arsenal are paying him 4,000 of them every week that's enough to fill a decent sized bath even after tax.
                                          Bloke's paying for 23 kids to have surgery, but you simply must dig into your coffin of sulk and find a flaw.

I bet if he handed you a check for whatever you need you'd just hold it down by your waist, look at it, not even look him in the eyes, pinball-twitch your shoulder twice and mumble:
                                          - Well, you can afford it anyway.

Then go down the pub and get wasted on stouts.

Comment

That's a reference to nefertiti's bizarre comment. It's a nice gesture by ozil, albeit one made somewhat easier by him earning £100k a week net plus two signing on Fees over the last three years.

Comment

The Awesome Berbaslug!!! wrote: That's a reference to nefertiti's bizarre comment. It's a nice gesture by ozil, albeit one made somewhat easier by him earning £100k a week net plus two signing on Fees over the last three years.
                                              OK, sorry if I got that wrong.
                                              Still, how much money you have to begin with shouldn't be an issue.
                                              I suspect the more money you have the "harder"* it is to do these kind of things. If you do it once, twice, the letters for more charity might be flowing in. And how do you relax under the already microscope life when that happens?

Also, it's a tad telling how the story about the Algerina squad donating their bonuses, and the first story about Özil... someone out there simply had to, felt the urge to correct it and point out that it simply was not true.
                                              How shit of a life do you not live if you want to be re-tweeted, linked to or quoted for that sort of find?

What gain was there from pointing it out?
                                              They were feel-good stories for fuck's sake. Maybe not 100% truth or even 50 but who gives a shite in the bigger scheme of things? It sent a positive vibe from already positivly embraced people in this world cup. But no, someone rather spent a dedicated part of their limited life on earth because it'd makje them feel like a light version of Bob Woodward.

What was the gain for the ones who told the truth about those stories?
                                              Really, give me at least one good thing coming out of it when it was revealed that Algeria haven't really sent their entire bonuses? They felt like ambassadors of journalism and righteousness?
                                              Adding to that, we still do not have an ultimately reliable source of what and how much truth there was in it. Some blogg here or freelancer there fighting for attention isn't the ultimate.

I can tell you what the bad is. That's that hobby detectives on Internet will soon become equal to educated journalists with 20 years within the field, and twitter twatters with too much time on their hands.
                                              Tell you what. Hobby detectives have already become more powerful.
                                              If I may.

One of the brilliant things about social media is how people can connect with other around the world, and find someone they've wondered about for ages. In Sweden, we have Missing People who's done what Facebook was meant for. They help the police finding missing people. Most of them are found dead. Some are found wandering lost.
                                              A downside is when someone is urged to be found (most often a woman) and the hobby detectives in their urge to score a hole-in-one help out, turns out to be a stalker, a molestor searching for someone with hidden identity.

What that has to do with football? Fuck do I know! Except, I truly do not have more time for hobby on the side journalists. Instead of spending time to tell me in own words what they think they link to article after article after article. And freelance, internet detectives. Give me a break!

Social media my arse. It's anti-social media. And I'm part of it.

* How much of your own income do you spend on charity?

Comment

So in other words, PPV, in your ideal world media organisations should be allowed to lie as much as they want, as long as the story in question makes you feel good about the world?

Comment

Amor's clearly just too nice a guy a to tell you to fuck off.
                                                  I'm not, though, so fuck off.

The guy posted something in good faith he believed to be true, turns out it wasn't.
                                                  So what?

Comment

Sam wrote: So in other words, PPV, in your ideal world media organisations should be allowed to lie as much as they want, as long as the story in question makes you feel good about the world?
                                                    Yes, that's excatly what I meant.
                                                    God himself came down on my porch and said so, so it must be a testemony of truth.

For fuck's sake.

Am I dealing with grown up people here, any more, or simply people who try to cock fight?

"in your ideal world media organisations should be allowed to lie as much as they want"

This is not something mataure, something from someone in a normal state. This is cockmotherfuckingbullshit laughable.

Seriously. Do you get paid for bullshit questions like these or do you simply feel like picking a fight over nothing?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X