A moment's applause for Mesut Ozil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mesut Ozil is to donate his £350,000 World Cup winnings to the children of Gaza, reports the International Business Times.

Ozil is set to give the £237,000 bonus he received for helping Germany win the final, and the £118,000 he received for Germany's semi-final win.

I guess he won't miss them. Unlike [strike]most[/strike] all of his goalscoring chances.

Comment

Probably not, but — true or not — I prefer to believe it's a genuine act of altruism. Doing otherwise makes it less likely that similar donations take place, and increases levels of cynicism in an already cynical world.

Comment

There's been a few of these 'players donate money to Gaza' stories, but they don't seem to have been verified.

Comment

Do you mean they — or their representatives — are lying? Who are the other players?

Comment

The Algerian team.

Comment

I'm a bit skeptical of why they need such large bonuses to begin with. Would players not bother with their national team otherwise? Not try as hard? I doubt it. They certainly deserve to be paid, but it seems like some of that money would be better spent at the grassroots.

Good for him though. I also saw that Germany spent a lot of money and effort to help out the local area in Brazil where they trained. That shouldn't be considered charity, but only what those people deserve for what their country spent on the event and for what they've done as a culture for the sport.

Comment

Amor de Cosmos wrote: Do you mean they — or their representatives — are lying? Who are the other players?
                I remember that one year Ronaldo supposedly dontated his Ballon d'Or winnings to causes in Gaza, turned out to be a fake story.

International Business Times also seems kind of a dodgy source, so I'm skeptical of this story. Hope it's true, though.

Comment

Ozil's PR firm is denying the story.

Questions about the Algerian claims.

The same guy who dug into the Algerian story is questioning the Ozil claim.

Comment

Who plants this stuff, and why?

Comment

Mossad?

Comment

Amor de Cosmos wrote: Who plants this stuff, and why?
                        I'm surprised they get posted on here without some fact-checking.

Comment

Ozil still deserves applause.

He has donated his bonus to pay for operations for sick kids in Brazil.

In general, Germany did things right on and off the field in Brazil and deserve compliments. Here's a piece on their relationship with the people of Bahia.

So after they won the World Cup for a fourth time, Germany gifted fans from all over with some scintillating football. Yet their greatest gift was for the people that they built a relationship with during their time there. The German federation decided to donate the complex they built from scratch to the supporters that made the Mannschafft feel like they were home. That move was quite unexpected but well received. The players also donated over US$ 13,000 for the community to buy an ambulance. Also part of that resort that was built by the DFB is reportedly going to be turned into a school.

Yes, the German national team became the first national team to win on South American soil. Yet their legacy to the people of Bahia will be greater as they became the first federation in World Cup history to build their own World Cup complex, or should I say a complex for the people.

Comment

Mumpo Redentor wrote: I guess he won't miss them. Unlike [strike]most[/strike] all of his goalscoring chances.
                            You really are a sour old man these days. And considerably more Inaccurate than Mesut Ö.

Here's the goal he scored that secured Germany's trip to the World Cup semi- final.

Comment

STOP BEING BEASTLY ROTTEN TO BUG-EYES, MUMPO! HE HAS TOO SCORED A GOAL EVER.

Comment

I Understand you work as a philosopher by profession. Strange because anyone reading your contributions here would consider you a an inadequate preschooler who would not be trusted to take the hamster home for the weekend. Nicd to know there's a grown man out there who uses the word "Bugeyes" Are you drunk, infantile dickhead?

Comment

that goal against algeria was in the second round. it was hummels who scored the goal that got them to the semi-final.

Comment

Reed John wrote: I'm a bit skeptical of why they need such large bonuses to begin with. Would players not bother with their national team otherwise? Not try as hard? I doubt it. They certainly deserve to be paid, but it seems like some of that money would be better spent at the grassroots.
                                    The players are getting a percentage of the bonus pot, which is pretty substantial, as agreed with their Federation. That ramps up pretty dramatically as the tournament progresses, based solely on how well the team performs.
                                    The DFB will be taking a significant chunk of it as well, to spend as they see fit. Which in their case probably does mean investment in grass roots, not lining the pockets of administrators.

Comment

Jongudmund wrote:
                                      Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos
                                      Who plants this stuff, and why?
                                      I'm surprised they get posted on here without some fact-checking.
                                      This is a message board not a scholarly publication, nor even a daily newspaper.

Comment

Nefertiti2 wrote:
                                        Originally posted by Mumpo Redentor
                                        I guess he won't miss them. Unlike [strike]most[/strike] all of his goalscoring chances.
                                        You really are a sour old man these days. And considerably more Inaccurate than Mesut Ö.

Here's the goal he scored that secured Germany's trip to the World Cup semi- final.
                                        Here, did you watch that video?

Comment

Nef's love for Ozil is quite something.

Comment

Oh dear, linked to my review of the world cup instead.

Here'a the goal which as Garcia points out ensured German progress to the quarterfinal.

Do like Oezil, yes. Seems like a nice chap and a much underrated footballer.

Comment

He's indeed a decent chap, by all accounts. Apparently he refused to shake the hand of some FIFA minion whom he knew to be supportive of Zionist state terrorism.

But on the pitch Ozil has now failed to impress at two successive tournaments. If Ilkay Gündogan wasn't made of paper, and Jogi was less superstitious about dropping Ozil, Arsenal's entire German continent would have been sitting on the bench on Sunday.

Comment

You're right of course, except that he played very well in the final and did the job he was asked to do in previous games, as you pointed out on here.

After Algeria, Germany had to play a tactical game predicated on neutralising the threat of France's creative players. Ozil's job today was not to create much, but to neutralise Cabaye, which he did perfectly.

Comment

Yes, I thought he had a very good game in the final.

And I wasn't in the mood to be charitable to him because I was still angry at him for missing that chance against Brazil that turned an 8-0 into the far more aesthetically displeasing 7-1.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X