Best/favourite goal of these finals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Best' and 'favourite' overlap without being quite the same. You could make a case for there being a clear top three, which could be ranked in any order: James R v Uruguay, RvP v Spain, Cahill v Holland.

However, there are other goals that I like for what feel like strong reasons. The Swiss winner against Ecuador was great because the ref played advantage; the Suarez goal v England because it was a replica of the first one Germany scored against England in 2010 and was struck so sweetly; the 7th German goal v Brazil because it was the best of the game and was scored when Germany would have been entitled to be playing at walking pace. All the Costa Rica goals v Uruguay because they signalled that this tournament was gonna be much better than any of the recent editions.

James Rodriguez

That chesting it down then on volley goal from way outside
    2nd

1st
    In the same game, best TEAM goal I've ever seen in a world cup. Rodriguez agan but THAT header to him like it was Matrix the movie. Two more players beautifully involved ahead of that. Just watch that goal!

Comment

As it came in early in the tournament and totally out of nowhere I'll continue to go w/ RVP's diving header as the best goal.

My favorite goal - :30 Clint Dempsey strike, w/ Brooks' winner a close second.

Comment

Can't argue with the 'best' outlined above, and the Cahill wonder volley and RVP's astonishing dolphin header would rank highly among my favourites as well — plus Cahill's shadow-boxing with the corner flag was possibly my favourite celebration too. From Rodriguez, I enjoyed his delightful dinked finish against Japan to crown a great move the most. Also really liked the way Jermaine Jones' howitzer against Portugal looked, mainly for the way the keeper is completely rooted and motionless so it seems to fly through an entirely, surreally stock-still defence. Possibly my favourite of all though might be the fifth Dutch goal against Spain, where I thought "great ball to Robben, oh no he doesn't have a right foot at all and they've forced him wide"... whereupon he twisted right back round in a circle and carved back across the face of the defence again, leaving Casillas scrabbling on hands and knees, waiting for the gap to properly open up then pulled the trigger to make the net bulge again.

Comment

Not a lot to disagree with there; like VA the "wow" factor and perfect execution of RvP's opener left a big impact. Not quite so much as Bergkamp's classic but being so early in the whole thing helped.

Otherwise Rodriguez, "that" goal.

Cahill's was amazing, but unlike Rodriguez's might not have worked 99 times out of 100.

Best free kick - Sideshow Bob before the world collapsed around him.

Best penalty - Huntelaar on as a sub. Fantastic coolness with all the bullshit going on around him. Bounce bounce bounce, focus, mutter something to himself, BANG into the corner.

Comment

A tie between Cahill and Van Persie for me.

Comment

Yeah, the top three -- van Persie, Rodriguez, Cahill -- would be interchangeable, because they are three quite different types of goals.

My personal favourite is Rodriguez. But I would vote for van Persie's goal simply because I've never seen a goal scored quite like it, while the other two have been done before (in fact, Tshabalala's goal in 23010 perhaps was even better than Cahill's).

Comment

Chile's opener against Spain outdoes Colombia's 2nd vs Uruguay as the best team goal, in my opinion.

Comment

My favourite goal, maybe because it's fresh in the memory, was Germany's 4th against Brazil, I just love the way that Khedira, through on goal thanks to the pass from Toni Kroos, wrong foots Marcelo and Cesar by playing it back to Kroos for him to sidefoot into the empty net.

Marcelo actually spins 360 degrees and looks completely dizzy, like a kid who's just stepped off the Waltzer at a funfair.

Comment

Costa Rica's third against Uruguay. criminally overlooked.

Comment

1. van Persie v Spain
                      2. Rodriguez v Uruguay
                      3. Schurrle v Brazil
                      4. Cahill v Netherlands
                      5. Guardado v Croatia

Comment

What is it about players called Rodríguez scoring mad goals in World Cups?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpRXa4sckF4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WozHXbsAn9M

Comment

Van Persie's against Spain, not just for its glorious unexpectedness, for the effect it had on the game. It brought the Dutch back into contention at the perfect moment. It destroyed Casillas. And it shocked Spain into realising they could concede at any time.

Monumental.

Comment

I think I've got van Persie's header against Spain, James' turn and volley against Uruguay and Cahill's stonker against the Netherlands as my top three, though I'm not sure in what order; van Persie probably nicks it.

Honourable mentions to Messi against Bosnia-Herzegovina, Messi against Iran, Jones against Germany, Ureńa against Uruguay, Aránguiz against Spain, Shürrle against Brazil and probably a whole bunch more. There are plenty to choose from.

Comment

I close my eyes and all I see is James' volley. It's wiped out all others, including Cahill's.

Comment

best was van persie's header. james' one was great too, and messi and neymar scored brilliant goals in the group phase that now seem an eternity ago.

favourite, suarez's second against england. what a moment. i also liked the robben one against spain mentioned above.

Comment

Best: Rodriguez

Favorite: Dempsey v. Ghana, which was also a very good goal.

Comment

Favourite: Messi, vs Iran.

Best: Rodriguez, vs Uruguay. Obviously.

Comment

favorite/best: Dempsey v Ghana.

though, probably the real best: Rodriguez (1st vs Uruguay), Cahill (vs Holland) , Van Persie (vs Spain)

Dempsey's is going to be overlooked (by probably everybody not a USA fan), but it was really something special and basically made the world cup for the US. (Instead of Ghana chasing the game the whole time, it is scoreless... Do we think the USA somehow wins that?)

Comment

i watched that dempsey goal on a plane which was mainly full of mexican fans. not everyone's screen was exactly synchronised so you suddenly heard these shouts and curses, then just as you are wondering if this is simply how mexico fans sound when there's a match on, there's dempsey breaking through.

Comment

One goal that I really enjoyed and has not been mentioned in this thread yet...

Varela's stoppage-time headed equaliser for Portugal against USA. Dramatic way to end a fine match, and one of the assists of the tournament from Ronaldo. Varela unexpected buries a terrificly-powerful header from a delicious cross.

As Janik mentioned, Chile's first against Spain was lovely, took the piss out of the fast-fading world champions with a fine team goal.

Comment

It was a very good goal to win the whole boondoggle from Mario Gotze as well.

Sense of history being made: Klose against Brazil. He literally pounced on the rebound.

I thought Sneijder's against Mexico was good as well.

But yeah, James Rodriguez, Robin van Persie, Tim Cahill.

Comment

James has won the official FIFA award.

Comment

Working...
                                              X