The sun rises in the east - Eastern Fitba

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Torpedo Moscow have had their stadium closed for two matches because of some unpleasant goings-on in the stands last weekend.

I vaguely remember Kocian, he was the sweeper in Czechoslovakia's Italia 90 team I think.

Comment

Jackie's bio is being published, can't wait to read about his time in Glasgow...

Comment

Feel like I owe a bit of an update to the Romanian part of this thread. Steaua are still called Steaua, although the name of the team is now FCSB and they have a new badge, which appears to be modelled on Lisa Simpson's head

They have just been kicked out of Ghencea (their stadium) too, though because the army owns that, so they now appear to be rattling around in the National Stadium for the foreseeable.

In actual football news, an astonishing run by mrs hoc's hometown team ASA Targu Mures, has seen them rocket up the table (unbeaten since about October, they;ve won 12 and drawn 3 out of the last 15), and after last week, when they won at Steaua, they are now top in a two horse race. They also won 6-1 this weekend, and Steaua won the derby 3-1 at Dinamo so it is very much on. There are 4 games left and the gap is 2 points.

Comment

Josef Masopust, the 1962 European Footballer of the Year and a World Cup runner-up with Czechoslovakia that same year, has died aged 84.

He later managed the Czechoslovakian national team himself in the mid-1980s, with little success. After they lost 5-1 at home to West Germany in the qualifiers for Mexico 86, he was asked who he was going to drop for the next game. He replied: "The whole bloody lot of them." (Czechoslovakia subsequently got a 2-2 draw in Munich.)

RIP.

Comment

Tale of robberies, car dealerships, mafiosos and a pitch with no grass on it.

Comment

M, the Serie A thread is over there >>>>>

Comment

Ha! Eastern Europe has got their share of dodgy characters....

Comment

Does anyone recall soviet league being played indoors in the 1980s? I mean proper league championship not anything like separate indoor thing...I was a lil boy but kind of remember it happening or was it just a dream?

Comment

Okay after half year break time to ressurect the thread - here's a light-hearted Ekstraklasa season review by a certain twitterstorian and me.

Comment

Rinat Ahmetov refused entry to Donetsk by head of so-called "DPR". Is this the end?

Comment

Stanislav Cherchesov after securing league title with Legia Warszawa kast season is named new manager of sborna.

Comment

Magicien wrote: Does anyone recall soviet league being played indoors in the 1980s? I mean proper league championship not anything like separate indoor thing...I was a lil boy but kind of remember it happening or was it just a dream?
                          I am going to have a stab at 1982 (surprise winners Dinamo Minsk).

WSC had a piece about that season a couple of years ago but I, to my shame, cannot remember when it appeared nor who wrote it.

Comment

Magicien wrote: Stanislav Cherchesov after securing league title with Legia Warszawa kast season is named new manager of sborna.
                            Cherchesov was a fairly shite, if cool-looking, goalkeeper who let in a couple of soft goals to Casiraghi and Smicer at Anfield 20 years ago.

I also remember him managing Spartak Moscow when they contested one of the all-time great Champions League matches (no exaggeration, despite what some of you might think) at Celtic Park in 2007.

By christ he has some job on his hands now. There's hardly anybody in the Russia squad you would keep apart from Akinfeev and Dzyuba.

Comment

Both Croatian and Bosnian leagues have big games the coming weekend. First has "Eternal Derby" between Hajduk Split and Dinamo Zagreb this Sunday while latter has Sarajeveo derby between FK and Zeljeznicar on Saturday. Bosnian league features nicely-named Krupa na Vrbasu this season. Strangely no Borac Banja Luka, who I keeo reminding anyone who wants to listen has got one best football anthems there is.

If you are on twitter and after balkan tweets (and beats) I strongly suggest you follow @RunarNordvik. And before I go our own dalliance has a piece on rise and fall of FK Obilic on his site: https://beyondthelastman.com/2016/07/20/heroes-villains-the-rise-fall-of-fk-obilic-belgrade/

Comment

Davide Lanzafame re-signs for MTK Budapest. This is what happened when he last played for them. Yes he got sent off for preventing a teammate from taking a penalty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83Azd1aYhg8

Comment

As a bonus - the strangest goal ever scored in Poland almost 10 years ago, already watched by almost 7 million people - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Pjxb0dj8j8

Comment

Magik wrote: Davide Lanzafame re-signs for MTK Budapest. This is what happened when he last played for them. Yes he got sent off for preventing a teammate from taking a penalty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83Azd1aYhg8
                                    Just seen that clip. Is is just me or does the commentator really make reference to Joey Barton at about 1:35?

He's obviously also an arguementative soul (as I type this I hear he's just been suspended by Rangers), but I'm not aware that he's ever prevented a team mate from taking a penalty.

Comment

Polish ekstraklasa current top10, could this be the end of 72 years of hurt?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CveIKuDWIAAhYvu.jpg

Comment

Top of the table clash yesterday in Kyiv. Not much happened 2 own goals, 2 red cards and Dynamo losing to Shakhtar 3:4.
                                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0rqbz1VU6o

Comment

For reasons best known to himself Magik decided to live tweet the 1987 USSR season here:
                                          https://twitter.com/SovietLeague87
                                          He went skiing on Friday and left me in charge for a week. He's in for the fright of his life when he returns. Tee-hee...

Comment

This thread'll do nicely. Some Galatasaray fans losing it in their living room watching the game against Fenerbahce. All it needs is a bat flying round the ceiling.
                                            https://twitter.com/GrimandiTweets/s...61681427992577

https://twitter.com/GrimandiTweets/status/975161681427992577

Comment

Working...
                                            X