Germany vs Argentina heavy-weight title bout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agreed on Irmatov. The choice seems to be a bone thrown at a powerful federation.

There are three nominations for the "Golden Glove". Neuer and Navas are the other contenders. Romero appears to have made the list on the basis of his shootout performance against Holland, which doesn't make much sense. I expect Neuer to win barring a howler in the Final.

Comment

so i was woken up shortly after 6am by the argentina fans singing their brazil tell me how it feels song. there were thousands upon thousands of them on the street. getting the booze in while they still feel like it.

argentina now know exactly how brazil felt. they've got all the fans, all the pressure, and their daddy just strolled in

Comment

After the semis, I'm oddly at ease with either side winning the whole thing. I probably edge a bit towards Germany as they seem to have played the best football (and I feel like not winning the final after drubbing Brazil would be a little sad).

But please, just let it end in normal time with an actual quality winning goal. No dodgy penalties or questionable refereeing decisions.

Comment

Why do Argentina fans sing about their daddy being home? Brazil have a much the better of the meetings since 1990.

Comment

Since when did bragging rights require the backing of cold hard facts?

Comment

This German team is going in to the game with as much pressure on them as Argentina I reckon. Their performance in the tournament, especially in their semi-final, has raised expectation way beyond that of Argentina, and they are now nailed on favourites and have to live up to that in the biggest game of them all. If Germany do win this then they could quite easily repeat what Spain have done and dominate the international game for two or three more tournaments. They seem very cohesive as a team rather than being built around one player, and only Klose and third keeper Weidenfeller are over 30, so they should be around together for the next four to six years.

Comment

I have no idea what will happen. If Argentina doesn't get scored on in the first 20, their chances go up until Messitime. If they get scored on in the first 10, it'll be a 4-nil to the Alemanians.

See everyone on the flip side.

Comment

Well I definitely want Germany to win, and this is no reflection on Argentina, who apart from being a bit dull, have done nothing to merit any particular criticism.

The German league is to be admired for its consideration of its fans and its recognition of its own history. And I'm perfectly happy for the way they present and play their football to be a template for the next 4 years.

From personal experience, their fans are mostly knowledgeable and realistic and friendly.

But above all, because they generally appear to be a decent bunch of blokes.

What worries me is that Argentina haven't conceded in the knockout stages.

And yes, Tony C, I don't want to see Zabaletta upset either.

Comment

Germany starting with Klose again, I did wonder if they might hold him back but it looks like they will be the more attacking side. BBC have indicated that Argentina are going 4-5-1 with just Higuain as the only out and out striker.

Comment

Is anyone watching this on ITV?

Comment

I think Germany will win but I'd be delighted if Sabella got his hands on the trophy just for the occasional moments of magic which lit up some otherwise dark and desperate days at Bramall Lane.

Comment

Shedmundo wrote: Is anyone watching this on ITV?
                          I can't cope with Lawrenson, so I'll take my chances on ITV if he's involved.
                          It's like being presented with a choice of being burgled by someone who will smear shit on the walls (Lawrenson), or will just have a shit on the floor (Townsend)

Comment

Tyldesley and Chiles are the deal breakers for me. A slow and painful death is too good for that pair of fuckwits.

Comment

Is Mascherano going to be the busiest player today? I reckon if anyone is going to win the cup for Argentina it could be him as much as Messi.

Comment

Kramer in for Khedira - advantage Argentina!

Comment

On itv you get to watch adverts and can use the pundit talk time to make a cuppa. No respite on bbc

Comment

Adrian Chiles. The Fred of British sports TV.

Comment

BBC red button has 5 Live commentary for anyone wanting to avoid Lawrenson and Townsend. It's also Mike Ingham's final match before retirement.

Comment

Four years ago this Argentine side was either going to slaughter their opponent or get crushed. Now it's all 1-0.

Khedira out is a big loss.

Comment

Just how long did Sabella spend in Sheffield to age him like that?

Comment

Khedira must be gutted. Poor fucker.

Comment

The pubs in Harrow are rammed. I'm impressed.

Comment

Back to the training ground with that one.

Comment

Nice change of pace from Messi. Twice.

Comment

The only thing that slightly puts me off a German win, is how this obviously dedicated bunch of Argentinian players would be subjected to the baying Schadenfreude of the middle - class Brazilian "neutrals".

Comment

Working...
                                                    X