Setting Sons - The Jam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Setting Sons - The Jam

I liked a couple each on their first two albums and loved All Mod Cons.
    I considered SS to be a let down, far too many words and not enough rhymes. Its weighed down by teenage angst and an overwhelming obsession with "having something to say". Heatwave certainly shouldnt be on there. The only songs with a whiff of All Mod Cons wit with are Eton Rifles, Saturdays Kids and The Girl On The Phone.

Their run of post second album singles "David Watts, A Bomb In Wardour Street, Tube Station, When Youre Young, Strange Town, Butterfly Collector, Eton Rifles and Going Underground were as good a batch as any band have produced. The equal of the primetime Kinks, Who, Beatles etc they so obviously admired.

Funeral Pyre and beyond was where The Jam and I parted company.

Quite why "Away From The Numbers, Tonight At Noon and Life From A Window" never made it to single status and "This Is The Modern World" did is beyond me. "To Be Someone" wouldve also have been great to see bothering the TOTPs producers.

I dont get the Style Council hate either. The first two albums were great stuff and certainly better than The Jams opening efforts. Granted both they turned to shite towards the end.
    Theres an acoustic guiter/organ busking style version of "Headstart To Happiness" with Weller vocals that for me is one of his finest moments. I think it was originally on the Bside of the ropey 'Money Go Round"........only Tube Station matches it in his whole career.

Comment

Setting Sons - The Jam

"This is the Modern Whirl" was a real curates egg of an album, with Weller's secondary school art scribbles on the album liner. Foxton did quite a few songs I think, and it showed.
      But, like I said I have a lot of love for all the Jam's albums, and if there was a band that you really shouldn't be content with just owning a greatest hits package it is them.

I was so smitten that I bought every single, in 7 and 12 inch versions - even when it was a toss pot single like "Funeral Pyre" - but even that with Rick's drumming is worthwhile.

Regarding the great Style Council fan - that was Nishlord; but SR was rather keen too - I even posted a mp3 interview with Gary Crowly interviewing Weller and the the guy who used to be in the Merton Parkas off my cassette version of "My Favourite Shop" for him. Now that was an album that tried too hard.

Comment

Setting Sons - The Jam

Felicity, I guess so wrote:

If Ms Felicity (an old skool hardworking protestant who sees weekends as opportunities for lifebuilding) asks me my plans for a saturday, I reply with the line 'drink lots of beer and wait for half-time results'.
        Ha ha - I have a similar home situation to you. I don't know that Jam song, so I'll check it out.

Comment

Setting Sons - The Jam

Does anyone rate Weller's 22 Dreams album? It's got stars galore on the Wikipedia ratings roundup, but I don't really know his solo stuff.

Good album in my view. Saw the jam many times. Best Gig Loch Lomand just after release of SS 79, or 1980 cant recall now !. I Always loved Dreams of Children B side of going Underground if i remember correctly

Comment

Setting Sons - The Jam

22 Dreams was the last Weller album I bought, there's a lot of filler on it but a lot better than his next 2 offerings.

I remember buying Going Underground as a limited edition double single but cannot for the life of me recall what was on the bonus single.

Comment

Setting Sons - The Jam

Looks like I'm alone in my admiration for Funeral Pyre.
              I love the big thumping bassline and the general racket, but then I'm a fan of the racket.
              I seem to remember them doing FP live on a Nosin' Around-style yoof programme called Something Else and it was glorious.

Comment

Setting Sons - The Jam

Calvert wrote: Looks like I'm alone in my admiration for Funeral Pyre.
                I love the big thumping bassline and the general racket, but then I'm a fan of the racket.
                No, I'm also there. The bassline, the racket and the way he sings "...pissing themselves laughing".

Comment

Setting Sons - The Jam

I rated Funeral Pyre, too. It sounded like Weller rebelling against The Jam having just had two number one singles.

Comment

Setting Sons - The Jam

treibeis wrote:
                    Originally posted by Calvert
                    Looks like I'm alone in my admiration for Funeral Pyre.
                    No, I'm also there. The bassline, the racket and the way he sings "...pissing themselves laughing".
                    No me too, quality song. However i think my two favorites are When you're young and Absolute Beginners. Belting uplifting songs. Especially at the time when i was, well young

Comment

Setting Sons - The Jam

Setting Sons my favourite Jam album, although I think I've sadly morphed into the characters Weller describes over the years.

Comment

Setting Sons - The Jam

http://www.wsc.co.uk/forum-index/29-music/356737-weller-revival#358110

Comment

Setting Sons - The Jam

another vote for it being their best album...it was the first Jam album I bought having been fairly non-plussed over their earlier output although started to warm to them from the Tube Station release and subsequent run of singles..its release coincided with Metal Box & got them both on the same day and can pay Setting Sons no higher compliment than I still play it as often as the PiL album...which is a lot..

Comment

Setting Sons - The Jam

May be of interest - I know people who rate From The Jam. They are touring the album.

http://www.eventim.co.uk/settingsons

We're voting for our Jam top 6 over on TalkPunk atm. I've put Funeral Pyre at 5 and Tube Station at 1 FWIW.

Comment

Setting Sons - The Jam

Funeral Pyre is ace. It sounded like nothing else to us when it came out. Weller really stretched himself in a way that many of his contemporaries (aside from The Damned, Elvis Costello and a couple of others) hardly ever did. Shame that he seems like a bit of a one trick pony now. Still he is getting old, it happens to all of us.

Comment

Setting Sons - The Jam

Ha , having slagged off Funeral Pyre in this thread, it was my holiday ear worm - yes I can hear you all "pissing yourself laughing".

Comment

Working...
                                X