Setting Sons - The Jam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Setting Sons - The Jam

Sorry about this ramble; but this album is haunting my thoughts a lot.

I always thought that "Setting Sons" was a real watershed album for The Jam, touted before-hand as almost a concept album, it also contained the "break out commercially" single "Eton Rifles", and was the Apollo launch pad for “Going Underground” and all those “straight in at number one “ singles that followed.

Following after "All Mod Cons", and before "Sound Affects" it gets overlooked a lot; but I find myself often day dreaming about some of the songs – I know what a sad person.

Perhaps it was I listened to it ALOT at the time, and almost wanted to believe it was a concept album - (original rumour was 3 young guys in a modern civil war situation, with different political views etc.) And , perhaps maybe, maybe I read too much into the lyrics.
    But when I listen to "Little Boy Soldiers" today it sends a chill down my spine in the light of the conflicts we have seen since , and the attitude of the press these days "You’re a blessed son of the British Empire... and we love you for it etc".
    In fact at the time apart this was pre Falklands and while we had the Troubles (c) going on, the song seemed more about what has come to be rather than was going on at the time, so an invasion,n/ war type scenario in 1979/1980 – yes it was that long ago, seemed er well fanciful.

As I get older as well, things like "Smithers-Jones", “Thick as Thieves”, “Burning Skies” gets more poignant.

Even non “concepty” songs like “Saturday’s Kids” are enjoyable, although “Girl on the phone” is only interesting because Cock rhymes with Sock.

I heard that in the end the album was a bit rushed out, so it is a half baked concept album, with a very un original version of "Heat Wave" stuck at the end.

Anyway , Setting Sons , is probably my third favourite Jam album, and to me a very good reason, that if you only have a Greatest Hit’s album of The Jam you are missing out big time.

Setting Sons - The Jam

It has never really left my thoughts.

Thick as Thieves is one of my favourite songs from that era, probably ever.

If Ms Felicity (an old skool hardworking protestant who sees weekends as opportunities for lifebuilding) asks me my plans for a saturday, I reply with the line 'drink lots of beer and wait for half-time results'.

If you analyse it, as you have done, the cracks show through, but everything about it still smacks of being 16 for me, so I can, and do, listen to it all, often.

Comment

Setting Sons - The Jam

Nice thread. And as VTTB mentions, my Jam collection consists of Compact Snap (best of), Setting Sons and the English Rose single. It feels about right for me.

As for the songs on SS, agree re. their resonance today. Also concur that Girl on the Telephone is a weak link, but I enjoy Heatwave.

Favourite lyric:

Find enclosed one son one medal
      And a note which says "we won"

Comment

Setting Sons - The Jam

There's not much more I can add to what has been said, except to say I love this album. Probably more than any other it spoke to me as a provincial teenager.

There's not much subtlety with Weller's lyrics, but he can knock out some great lines.

I always thought All Mod Cons was their watershed album, featuring his first ballad and generally being a lot less shouty and angry than the first two patchy albums.

But I prefer Setting Sons because the songs are generally stronger and punchier and it coincided with him finding his political voice.

I'd never really thought of the prescient nature of their songs but I'll dig it out and have another listen. It's been many years since I played it.

Comment

Setting Sons - The Jam

Every teenager should have a record that makes them go ... "You've got to listen, nobody has said this before!".

Setting Sons was mine.

Anybody else re-write the lyrics for themselves, in their pseudo-creative (i.e. plagiarizing) phase? Thank God I did it on old envelopes, not Facebook, and they will never be retrieved.

Comment

Setting Sons - The Jam

My favorite Jam album.

Comment

Setting Sons - The Jam

Me too.

Sit amongst the shit
              The dirty linen
              The holey coca-cola tins
              The punctured footballs
              The ragged dolls
              The rusty bicycles
              We'll sit and probably hold hands.

They were awesomely good around this time. Going Underground going straight to No. 1.
              It's the kidney machines that pay for rockets and guns.
              Jesus Christ~ at last : someone with something to say.

And then... The fucking Style Council.

Comment

Setting Sons - The Jam

I'll pick Setting Sons as best Jam album as well.

Great songs and punchy production.

Weller really lounged and lamed out w/ The Style Council. Walls Come Tumbling Down! is the only one that grabbed my attention.

Comment

Setting Sons - The Jam

Someone here - and it doesn't bear searching - tried to make the case that Style Council were better than The Jam. I kept waiting for the 'ba dum tish' that never came.

As a NA teen, Town Called Malice was the first Jam song I heard, so I had to work backward. But fucking Style Council....not the best thing that ever happened...

Comment

Setting Sons - The Jam

Meant to add that the cover of Heatwave, superb as it is, shouldn't be on an album like that.
                    They could've given it away as a free single with the album or bunged it on a B side / bonus track on a compilation.
                    It doesn't exactly ruin the line of Thick As Thieves, Private Hell, Saturday's Kids, etc, but Motown happy summer songs aren't what this observation of British life need.

Comment

Setting Sons - The Jam

Good call. The cover in itself was spirited and lively, as were pretty much all their covers, but it was the same cover that their heroes, The Who, recorded on A Quick One.

I could understand their choice of covering the Batman theme on their first album, but c'mon, this is your fourth album, move on from copying covers also done by The Who.

Comment

Setting Sons - The Jam

Calvert - you make a very valid point about Heatwave, something I hadn't considered before. It is one of my all time favourite covers but as you say has no place being on that album, but as I was 17 when I bought it, I wasn't astute enough, I just thought at the time it was a great way to finish the album.

SS is still my favourite Jam album and Wasteland my favourite track.

Comment

Setting Sons - The Jam

VTTBoscombe made the point first, to be fair.

At the time I thought it was a great way to finish the album too. I think I was about 14 or 15 when it came out.

I always thought that Don't You Want Me from Dare is another example of an ill-fitting track welded onto the end of an excellent album which just sits there like an, um... giant badly-fitting thing.

Comment

Setting Sons - The Jam

I bought this on CD recently as my vinyl copy's scratched to fuck. Hard to choose in terms of Jam Album Hierarchy, though - sandwiched between All Mod Cons and Sound Affects, that's a stunning trilogy. I never bothered with The Gift, because I didn't think it had a chance of reaching the standard of the previous three, and their singles were going downhill by that point (starting with the messy Funeral Pyre) - so I presumed the album would be just as unremarkable. Never bothered listening to the first two albums either, for the same reason - In The City and This Is The Modern World were average singles, so I presumed anything else on their namesake albums would be even more inferior.

I too was underwhelmed by Heatwave - wrong song in the wrong place.

Comment

Setting Sons - The Jam

Time to give SS another spin I think

Comment

Setting Sons - The Jam

And now I have. Sounds pretty good. Wasteland probably the highlight with Saturday's Kids close behind. Nice to hear Eton Rifles again too.

It's quite a short album isn't it? As used to be more common in the pre-CD age. There's a lot to be said for an album which doesn't outstay its welcome.

Comment

Setting Sons - The Jam

Oh yeah, "All Mod Cons" was the coming of age/watershed album for the Jam; but Setting Sons was the "light blue touch paper/watershed" for commercial success album.

Still for me “All Mod Cons”, followed by “Sound Affects, then “Setting Sons” with a lot of love for the others too.

I won't stand for this Style Council hate though, I just won't - my missus to impress me at the time to show she was on my wavelength actually bought "Café Bleu ".
                                  It sat right next to her “ Imagination”, “Kids From Fame” albums and most worryingly a Neil Diamond Album, as I perused her collection (not a euphemism) when I first went round her place.

Seriously, “Café Bleu” was top dollar; however I think as I said on the original Nishlord thread yonks ago, I was just waiting for Weller to come to his senses, eg all that poncing about finished with, and get on the phone with Rick and Bruce and reform ..... unfortunately it never happened.

Comment

Setting Sons - The Jam

VTTBoscombe wrote: Oh yeah, "All Mod Cons" was the coming of age/watershed album for the Jam; but Setting Sons was the "light blue touch paper/watershed" for commercial success album …
                                    You've said pretty much what I was going to write, so I won't repeat it.

But yes, early Style Council was on a par with late-period Jam. A different groove certainly, but stylistically, You're the Best Thing and My Ever-Changing Moods weren't far away from the likes of The Bitterest Pill and Beat Surrender.

Sadly, The Style Council became very self-indulgent and I lost interest in them after Our Favourite Shop. (As I think did everyone else.)

Comment

Setting Sons - The Jam

Probably not to some people's tastes, but here goes

From The Jam, Bruce's current project are touring later this year playing a 35th Anniversary tour of all the songs from Setting Sons.

Seen them a few times and enjoyed hearing the Jam songs played live, always sold out shows in generally small venues.

Some will hate the idea of Weller's songs being sung by someone else but it works for me

Comment

Setting Sons - The Jam

WOM wrote: Someone here - and it doesn't bear searching - tried to make the case that Style Council were better than The Jam. I kept waiting for the 'ba dum tish' that never came.
                                        Was it SR?

A friend at school had a double-album of "In The City" and "This Is The Modern World", and was surprised that "All Mod Cons" and "Setting Sons" didn't go the same way.
                                        Like VTT, I'm a big Style Council fan. For me, from Absolute Beginners in '81 to Shout To The Top in '84 was the middle bit of Weller's Jam/TSC venn diagram when he really got down to the roots of Modernism.

Comment

Setting Sons - The Jam

Calvert speaks for me on this thread, particularly his in-depth analysis of the quality of the Style Council.

Comment

Setting Sons - The Jam

Sergio Mendes Brasil 66 wrote:
                                            Originally posted by WOM
                                            Someone here - and it doesn't bear searching - tried to make the case that Style Council were better than The Jam. I kept waiting for the 'ba dum tish' that never came.
                                            Was it SR?
                                            I'm 98% sure it was, yeah. Not to speak ill, etc...

Comment

Setting Sons - The Jam

Does anyone rate Weller's 22 Dreams album? It's got stars galore on the Wikipedia ratings roundup, but I don't really know his solo stuff.

Comment

Setting Sons - The Jam

Cafe Bleu
                                                Hahaha.
                                                Fucking bag of shite.
                                                Well, that's pretty much guaranteed that I'll be walking around saying Bleu to myself all afternoon and laughing.

Bleu
                                                Bleu
                                                Bleu.

Comment

Setting Sons - The Jam

Paul Weller is playing a gig roughly 100 metres from my home tonight, thus rendering my local uninhabitable for the night. The boring bastard has spent half the afternoon soundchecking, too.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X