• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One album is all they needed.

Luke R wrote:
    Originally posted by BenJô
    No takers for Oasis?
    I flirted with idea (based on OP's framing), but they have a fair smattering of decent tunes over a number of LP and singles beyond DM.
    Really? Why doesn't one ever hear them?

Comment

[quote=BenJô post=918272]
      One album and the greatest hits is probably quite a well represented niche: SFA are certainly that for me.
      Really? Which album?

Obviously, I completely disagree with you.

Comment

Just thinking, you could probably put pink Floyd on that list for me...

Comment

Birdland*
          Sheep On Drugs
          Consolidated

(* - Except that Birdland's most essential track, 'Hollow Heart', wasn't on that album.)

Comment

[quote]zbiginho wrote:
            One album and the greatest hits is probably quite a well represented niche: SFA are certainly that for me.
            Really? Which album?

Obviously, I completely disagree with you
            It's always been Fuzzy Logic for me. Others are more musically accomplished but somehow feel like a stretch to listen through, particularly as Songbook is one of the best singles comps ever. I love Gruff's solo albums though.

Comment

WOM wrote:
              Originally posted by Luke R
              No takers for Oasis?
              I flirted with idea (based on OP's framing), but they have a fair smattering of decent tunes over a number of LP and singles beyond DM.
              Really? Why doesn't one ever hear them?
              Many of the songs on What's the Story are a tad overplayed but it's chock full of pretty good songs and hits and perhaps even more representative of the times (if nowhere near as good) as DM.
              I'm not going to sing the praise of Be Here Now's or any of the other LP's after that but they too have an odd decent-though-admittedly formulaic recording on them (Go Let It Out, Roll It Over, Hindu Times, Lyla). Looking at their Wiki page I just realised I've never listened to Dig Out Your Soul.

Also, not to forget there were a fair amount of early decent to excellent B-Sides demos as well, Headshrinker, Acquiesce, Fade Away (demo), maybe even Half the World Away.

There's an argument they could be considered a two album band if anyone fancies starting that thread but I'm not sure even that's much of a strong claim.

Comment

SFA being a one LP band is way off I reckon as well. Guerrilla was good and they have probably have more than enough non-single LP tracks on the others to be considered more than a one LP and a Greatest Hits band.

Need to rip all their stuff to my collection to be sure though. When they were good, they were very very good. Favourite of that era.

Comment

I think Green Day have done this twice - with Dookie in the early 90s and American Idiot 15 years later. Pick one of those albums and that's your definitive Green Day.

My nomination would be Terrorvision: How to make friends and influence people. None of their other albums came close.

Comment

Terry Reid's River.

It's a little gem.

Comment

Andy C wrote: Terry Reid's River.

It's a little gem.
                      Indeed it is.

Reid was the man who turned down Jimmy Page when offered the job as Led Zeppelin vocalist and recommended Robert Plant.

Comment

Stina Nordenstam- And She Closed Her Eyes

Comment

ABC - The Lexicon Of Love (Beauty Stab et al were rubbish)

Avalanches - Since I Left You

Comment

Beauty Stab was fucking fabulous if you just forgot about the fact that it was ABC.

Comment

There's another Avalanches album? I had no idea — literally heard nothing about future releases post-Since I Left You. Which is a great little album, and one I would've nominated for this thread had I thought about it.

Comment

Hang on, SFA a one-album band? Tish and indeed, pish.

Comment

Andróide Veludo wrote: ^ Surely the Sisters' Floodland has to be worth a mention, treibeis?
                                  Not just that, but Alice, arguably their best song, not in the one album... disqualified!

Comment

Tramp The Dirt Down wrote: ABC - The Lexicon Of Love (Beauty Stab et al were rubbish)
                                    +1

I remember getting the vinyl of Beauty stab when it first came out. Listening to That Was Then but This is Now and thinking "Nice" and then getting more and more disappointed as the album went on.

These days I have TWTBTIN as a bonus track at the end of The Lexicon of Love.

I nominate Operation Mindcrime by Queensrÿche.

Comment

Working...
                                    X