• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fucking hell, it's happened again only worse:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...-west-44504659

Comment

Fuck

Comment

How the fuck has this happened again??? It's wrecked some buildings around it by the sounds of things.

Comment

Being a philistine my main interest here is the impact on the adjacent O2 ABC, so I'll repeat my comments from the gig thread:

I'm blaming one of my mates who went to see PiL there the other night, the first gig he's been to in years. He's like all four horsemen of the apocalypse.

I've got tickets for a few gigs there in the autumn, Ladytron being one. There are plenty of alternative venues in Glasgow of course (and it's part of the Academy group anyway, so the Academy will take its pick of the bigger gigs scheduled). The Art School itself is a gig venue, though think that's a separate building from what went up last night.

Terrible shame, despite it being an Academy venue and all the garish decor that brings, it's a fine venue and steeped in history. The glitterball is no more, for a start. I've seen some great gigs in there.

Sauchiehall Street has been a complete mess recently after the fire in the flats next to the Pavilion, and then some roadworks to widen the pavements and now this. They are supposed to be using it for the cycling road race element of the new multi sport European Championships thing in a few weeks' time.

Comment

Saw this just before going to sleep last night and literally couldn’t believe it

It’s just heart breaking

Comment

Fuckin Glasgow and fires. That’s a demolition job now fer sure. Kick in the guts.

Comment

I don't know the Glasgow School of Art building. Many years since I've been to Glasgow but the thought of all the hard work by students being lost is crushing.

Comment

The building's architectural importance is — was — internationally significant. The library was unquestionably the finest example of Arts and Crafts style in the UK. It is irreplaceable.

Comment

Amor, that multiplies the tragedy a thousandfold.

Comment

Partial demolition required.

I was in the area on Sunday, it is a grim scene indeed. There is a sizeable exclusion zone fenced off, meaning the lane between Sauchiehall Street and Bath Street is now a main pedestrian route. The Ladytron gig scheduled for November at the ABC has already been re-located.

Taco Bell is just outside the exclusion zone, much to my daughter's delight on Sunday (and to Katy Perry's on Saturday, it appears).

Comment

Do you think that their choice of the word 'dismantle' reflects any possibility of the original façade being rebuilt later, or does it just sound a bit less brutal than 'demolish'?

The theatre on Brighton's Palace Pier was dismantled in the '70s, supposedly with a view to being re-erected later, and hasn't been seen since.

Comment

I assumed they were interchangeable, either way something is coming down. Maybe a subtlety around which part of the structure they are taking down?

The wording above was my own description, though others have used it too.

Comment

That article chucks in a 'deconstruction' for good measure!

I'm not meaning to be picky for the sake of it. Given the huge level of emotional attachment shown for the building, it becomes tempting to look for clues as to whether the city will ultimately have to let it go or try to preserve what's left.

Comment

Gapsite till I die so. Had I untold billions, I’d spend it filling in the homeless mouth like gaps of Glasgow. And build decent modern social housing tenements instead of suburban rabbit boxes. And force the parasite rich suburbs back into the city boundaries.
                              Last edited by Lang Spoon; 28-06-2018, 18:30.

Comment

Working...
                              X