I used to sign on in Croydon.
          It was like Dallas without people.

Comment

Shaw Costa Fortuné - Summer transfers 2014

Croydon isn't London.

Comment

Surrey doesn't want it either.

I've always thought that Croydon should style itself as Brooklyn to London's Manhattan...then normally swiftly thought better of the idea.

Comment

I thought Hackney had already pre-empted that.

Comment

That's specifically Williamsburg.

Comment

Then "Brooklyn" is too large and diverse for Croydon.

They could try Bushwick, though that doesn't really work, either.

Comment

I did say it wasn't something I'd worked through too much.

Comment

Buenos Aires used to have, apparently, the most extensive tram network in the world. At present none of it is operational, though (although apparently there's a bus-done-up-to-look-like-a-tram that runs the route on Sundays, or something. It's in a part of the city I don't live in and never go to).

Comment

I did my training contract with a firm of solicitors in Croydon. We lived in Coulsdon, Purley (Yes, that one) and then Chipstead.

Comment

ursus arctos wrote: Then "Brooklyn" is too large and diverse for Croydon.

It's not that easy to find somewhere to compare to brooklyn, given that it's one of the most populous places on earth. It's easy to forget that brooklyn would be the fourth biggest city in the US if it was a separate place, or that it has the same population as greater manchester.

Comment

Eggchaser wrote: I did my training contract with a firm of solicitors in Croydon. We lived in Coulsdon, Purley (Yes, that one) and then Chipstead.
                              All very nice areas, particularly Chipstead.

South Croydon is quite pleasant. Other parts are, er, interesting.

Comment

Is Rockbottom guitar shop still there? Me and my brother used to go guitar gazing there in our youth.

Comment

Ah, guitar gazing.
                                  I trust the staff had 'NO STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN / SMOKE ON THE WATER' signs up?

Wonder what synthpop fans did?

Comment

Eggchaser wrote: Is Rockbottom guitar shop still there? Me and my brother used to go guitar gazing there in our youth.
                                    Looks like it, Eggy: guitarswegottem

Comment

ursus arctos wrote: Then "Brooklyn" is too large and diverse for Croydon.

Cypress Hills.

Comment

Janik wrote:
                                        Originally posted by Chopper
                                        Originally posted by Janik
                                        I'm with Berbaslug here. Whilst clubs intentionally plundering smaller clubs who are threatening their position occurs (Scott Parker going from Chalrton to Chelsea many years back being a prime example)
                                        Indeed, you can see why Charlton, with their 9th place finish, were a massive threat to us, with our measly runner-up position.
                                        Charlton were 3rd and Chelsea 4th when Chelsea signed Charlton's best player mid-way through the season. Who they then barely used. The finishing positions of the two sides was what Chelsea's money bought.
                                        It's no good, I have to wake the 'sleeping dog' - I was hospitalised long-term during the Abramovich take-over, so I had to refer to a Charlton supporting colleague - he remembers it thusly :- Charlton agreed to sell us Parker, for £7m, prior to the new Roman Empire taking over. Parker bought himself an Aston Martin Vanquish in advance of receiving his cut of the transfer, and a salary doubling (to £40k a week).

When Roman started writing large cheques all over the shop, Charlton obvs wanted some, so refused to go ahead with the deal. Parker was told they would sell once a) Charlton were safe, and b) Roman agreed to up the ante.

At the Christmas window, Charlton reneged on their offer, and Parker had to go on strike to force through his move, for a slightly increased fee (£10m).

Unable to displace Makélélé & Lampard for the League, he was used in the League Cup run until he broke his metatarsal and missed the SF and Final win against Liverpool.

So, no 'plundering' - just circumstances that made it appear that way. Parker was playing as much for us as he was for Charlton in ensuring the move went ahead.

Comment

how does this work? chelsea were a day from administration when abramovich took over. They weren't in a position to strike any deals with anyone.

Comment

Ken Bates, financial genius, say no more. Being London's most glamorous Club, based in the most prestigious location, I never believed we'd go into administration anyway - just a healthy dose of financial brinkmanship/football's dodgy dealings is all...

Comment

Nocturnal Submission wrote:
                                              Originally posted by Eggchaser
                                              Is Rockbottom guitar shop still there? Me and my brother used to go guitar gazing there in our youth.
                                              Looks like it, Eggy: guitarswegottem
                                              Twenty years later and they're still using the same sign. Bravo!

Comment

Working...
                                              X