No announcement yet.

Irish Times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have the Gardai been following J. Edgar Hoover’s Guide to Bureaucratic Survival?

Comment

that's possible, but it's unnecessary to get us to where we are. Fine Gael are the sort of Party that would do this anyway. The other thing is that fine gael were so distant from power throughout the good times, that I'm not sure that anyone considered them worth bribing. On the other hand it is very difficult to have an irish organisation of any size, of any real age that doesn't have a child abuse cover up scandal somewhere in its midst.

I mean everyone seems to be perfectly fine with Michael Lowry and Denis O'brien, and that was basically the last time it was worth bribing a fine gaeler.

Comment

Coveney, unsurprisingly, keeps his head firmly in the sand.

Comment

Thankfully, it appears sanity has prevailed, and Fitzgerald will announce her resignation as Tánaiste. Election avoided for now, but Charlie Flanagan's political future also seems endangered.

https://mobile.twitter.com/oconnellh...80562634166272

Comment

Bizarrely, she still plans to run at the next election, despite her political career effectively ending today:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Fitzgeral...08146067472389

Incidentally, no new Tánaiste was named when the Dáil resumed.

Comment

Adrian Kavanagh has number-crunched the Saturday poll:

FG 53
              FF 51
              SF 24
              Soc Dems 4
              Labour 3
              Sol-PBP 3
              Greens 2
              Ind 18

https://adriankavanaghelections.org/...-october-2017/

Also, useful list of current runners and riders:

https://adriankavanaghelections.org/...-constituency/

Comment

Varadkar saying at an FG meeting tonight that Fitzgerald will be vindicated, and could return to "high-level politics"!

Comment

Rumours that Heather Humphreys could be named Tánaiste - already she's the most senior Presbyterian in the political history of the Republic.
                  Last edited by Diable Rouge; 29-11-2017, 22:41.

Comment

Fucking hell, the numptie’s numpty. As a Protestant, Father, I’m offended by token rep in Cabinet being fucking Humphreys.

Least she’s a proper whitewashed walls nae smells and bells church prod but. Church of Ireland funeral service, if I hadn’t met the vicar and his wife previous, would have thought it full on Popery Peace Be Upon Youse.
                    Last edited by Lang Spoon; 30-11-2017, 00:33.

Comment

In a party that offers some very stiff competition, Heather Humphries is a true fucking giant of mediocrity. She is the human embodiment of the colour beige.

Comment

She’s a fine set of teeth at least. Lovely smile.

Comment

In the end, Coveney does become Tánaiste, Humphreys takes the Enterprise portfolio vacated by Fitzgerald, and Josepha Madigan (who took out Shatter) gets Arts, Culture, Heritage and the Gaeltacht.

Comment

There are enough leftish votes in Cork SC to unseat the new Tanaiste (the fourth seat in a four seater) at the next election. A pity that the vote is splintered and that the candidates are all useless. But I suspect it's a similar story in other constituencies.

Edit: Oh no, I forgot about Jerry Buttimer. Nah, there are enough votes there for 1.5 FG seats.
                            Last edited by anton pulisov; 30-11-2017, 16:52.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                              haha. Trevor O'Clochertaigh came campaigning to our house around the time of my uncle's funeral, and I had to stop my mam from chasing him off the premises with a de-activated shotgun. Her exact words at time were "I just wanted to push that disgusting lump in the sea." and given that we have a camera on the gate, it would have definitely have gone viral.

Sadly Catherine Connolly is basically completely useless. Her heart is in the right place, but that's not really enough. BTW Noel Grealish is basically the most galway looking man in the world. that look is very popular in east galway.
                              He's now left SF today because of internal constituency issues, namely infighting among members.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
                                  I concur.

Comment

Irish Government: "Facebook, do our job please"

such muppetry

Comment

Depending on exactly how it would be implemented, isn't it the opposite? The government effectively taking responsibility for verifying the identity of social media accounts.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                                        Depending on exactly how it would be implemented, isn't it the opposite? The government effectively taking responsibility for verifying the identity of social media accounts.
                                        Yeah, the article was very badly written. These RTE articles are probably written by Ryan Tubridy's niece. I had interpreted 'users' as Social Protection Card users, i.e. that the government wanted Facebook to verify Irish public services users. It's the other way around.

Either way, handing over people's social security details to Facebook is complete lunacy and achieves nothing.

Comment

I like the name they'e used for that example in AP's link. 'Seosaimhin'. Credit to any non-Irish reader who pronounces it properly- answers this afternoon or tomorrow morning welcome.

Meanwhile in other tech news: new Ultonia Grand Vizier Karen Bradley has told the media that she isn't going to enact for gay marriage or abortion rights. Instead, Stormont will do it, and also roll out super-fast broadband "like my local Staffordshire County Council has done". Setting the bar low but still...

Comment

Bertie's legacy lives on. This time in the form of death trap apartment buildings.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Unoriginal as ever...

Wouldn't you be better off addressing the various issues affecting the North, none of which are the responsibility of Mary Lou.

Comment

If you want proper mary lou photoshopping

Comment

Working...
                                                    X