Throwing your collection of programmes away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tee rex wrote: Does Britain have a football archive anywhere? A lottery-funded treasure trove? It really should.
    The National Football Museum claim to have a collection 140,000 items strong - shame they don't appear to show, or provide access to about 99% of it.

I'd bloody love to have a root around in there, like.

Comment

I've over 1,000 programmes still (many in my parents' attic), despite many a purge (often regretted) and loss during frequent moves over the years. I had a hernia op a couple of years ago and flicked through the hundreds I have with me while convalescing. It was lovely.

Otherwise I flick through them rarely. Usually on the loo.

The Brighton ones in particular I feel are part of my history and many of them take me back to a time and place. To use just one example, a look at Huddersfield away in 1986 quickly conjures up the day and period for me. My first visit and impressions of Yorkshire, I later went to University in Sheffield and Leeds, old friends, old players and Albion culture, etc etc.

I plan to pass them on to my son when he's older. I try not to think what he might do with them when I'm gone.

Comment

I don't understand collector culture.

Comment

imp wrote:
          I don't think they're boring, as such. Obviously a lot of them are crap, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're boring. But then I love reading old newspapers (fascinating) much more than today's newspaper (depressing), and I can stare at old maps for hours.
          I love old newspapers too. Going through old Bury Timeses in Bury Library for my current project was fascinating just for the adverts. Kentucky Fried Disco at Crystals nightclub, anyone?

Comment

I've got nearly 30 years of World Soccer magazine waiting for the bin. They're in boxes in my parents' attic - and also in boxes in my apartment. Just a few months ago, I took the harrowing decision to stop buying the magazine - mainly because I don't think it's up to much anymore.

Back in the 1980s, it was, effectively, the only informed source of knowledge on the European and world game. That pertained until relatively recently - or at least until Keir Radnedge stepped down as editor. Since then, I've been increasingly bored by its templated format and reliance on tired columnists who, while once great, are now as sadly moribund as penetration in a Pep Guardiola team.

I just can't justify buying it anymore in a world of blanket continental coverage on Sky and BT. This probably means any chance that they'd hire Glanville a proof-reader has gone.

So, as I've broken my monthly tradition, it's now only a matter of time before I take the next step and get rid of the lot. I had flirted with the idea of binding them in a phalanx of snazzy World Soccer binders - until I saw the price these things went for. So, no, I fear my days of pointless hoarding are over.

Now, what will I do with the 1,500 football DVDs that are hanging around the place...

SS

Comment

I gave up on World Soccer too about five years ago - reading it became an onerous chore. I recently looked out some back issues form the early 80s in the Library of Congress and was absolutely riveted - I don't know if they were better written or produced than now, or if I'm just much more interested in football in the 1980s than in today's game.

Comment

Curiously, of course, as with all collectibles, rarity is a big factor in determining value.

Not as much as desirability.

If you're going to donate make sure the organisation you give your collection to really wants it. Local museums, for example, are loaded with stuff people leave them that they have neither the manpower to catalogue, nor space to display. If you want to give programmes to a non-league club ask first if they can use them and what they'll do with them. Someone may say they'll take them without thinking about what's involved in terms of storage and how they'll be priced and sold.

Comment

Anyone encountered Backpass magazine? A half-dozen or so issues of this have recently come into my possession.

I'm not really interested in anything pre-1960s but I've found articles covering 1965-1975 utterly absorbing because it fleshes out a period of the game I have only a superficial grasp of. And rather than just regurgitate match reports they interview some of the 'names' of the period, who are quite happy to vent their spleens, especially if the target of their loathing has since croaked.

Gordon Smith's dismantling of Rangers' John Greig I found hilarious. Steve Daley's description of the well-oiled machine that was Manchester City in the 1970s was eye-opening, and even the issues George Best had with his futuristic house and the impact it might have had on his subsequent decline was thought-provoking.

I've promised 'em to World Cup Willie (who incidentally owns every copy of Mojo magazine).

But collecting stuff - what Hobbes said.

Comment

Looking through all the boxes I found a load of old Roy of the Rovers comics. But these weren't the weekly ones, these were the ones where they put all the stories into one magazine so you could read the story all in one go. Hot Shot Hamish and Mighty Mouse, Billy's Boots and more. I can't throw them away so they've gone into a box for special storage.

Comment

I was in the loft only a few days ago, looking for my son’s old Scalextric set to pass on to a nephew. I came across five huge boxes and one tea chest full of magazines that I bought and kept throughout the late 70’s and very early 80’s – a period before I was married with a house and mortgage and could afford to spend money on a half-a-dozen magazines each week. Old copies of Punch, Private Eye, The Face, Blitz, Select, Q, Practical Fishkeeping (!), International Musician, Omni, Heavy Metal (the English version of the French sci-fi mag Metal Hurlant) – it was like a time capsule. For a brief moment I was tempted to keep them but then reason prevailed. If I hadn’t looked at any of them for 30 years – indeed, had forgotten they were there – what were the chances that I’d look at them in the next 30 years? Pretty remote. And should we ever move house to down-size it would become just another chore amongst many others to get rid of them. So, apart from the Heavy Metal and Omni mags which I just couldn’t part with, and a hundred or so Alan Coren columns that I tore from the copies of Punch, the whole lot went for recycling.

Comment

HORN wrote: Anyone encountered Backpass magazine? A half-dozen or so issues of this have recently come into my possession.

I'm not really interested in anything pre-1960s but I've found articles covering 1965-1975 utterly absorbing because it fleshes out a period of the game I have only a superficial grasp of. And rather than just regurgitate match reports they interview some of the 'names' of the period, who are quite happy to vent their spleens, especially if the target of their loathing has since croaked.

Gordon Smith's dismantling of Rangers' John Greig I found hilarious. Steve Daley's description of the well-oiled machine that was Manchester City in the 1970s was eye-opening, and even the issues George Best had with his futuristic house and the impact it might have had on his subsequent decline was thought-provoking.

I've promised 'em to World Cup Willie (who incidentally owns every copy of Mojo magazine).

But collecting stuff - what Hobbes said.
                        I interviewed Craig Madden for Backpass. The removal of one word from one anecdote in the subbing process made him sound like a right arsey bugger, when in fact he was pleasantness personified across our two hours together.

Comment

I don't get the fascination with programmes. Never have.

I can see that some 50-60s programmes may have some modernist design qualities, but the writing and features (until recently) aren't great.

I collect old fanzines, because they are a snap shot of fan culture, and that matters. Programmes only feature fans on holiday, wearing a 'silky' atop the Rock of Gibraltar. I care not that the supporters club coach to Rotherham is £4, that the Seagull Lotto man will be knocking on my door, or that Farah do indeed make the best slacks.

For nostalgia purposes, I am lucky to be a supporter of a club who has an online resource of old programmes, digitised, taking up no room in my attic.

My vote is get rid, though try and find a suitable home for them, don't just chuck them in the canal.

Comment

To Sundeporino: have just PM'd you.

Comment

Well, I've just finished going through all my football programmes and I have managed to downsize from 9 shoeboxes to three. I've done it over the last three months or so and it was nowhere near as traumatic as I thought it would be.

I always had this idea that years into the future I would look back nostalgically at the programmes, each game burnt into my mind, with myself eager to know what the managers notes said from Plymouth v Swansea somewhere in the late 1990's. But in all honesty, most of them didn't mean a thing to me. I can't remember the games and even with a few helpful notes I scrawled on the back of the programme such as "Great game Torquay should have equalised in the last minute" they still meant nothing, not even nostalgia. I'd even kept all the bus and rail tickets, but they didn't mean anything.

I haven't thrown them all away mind you. Southend v Wolves in 1987 will live long in the memory for the way the Wolves fans rioted in the second half and the Wolves chairman had to be called to make an announcement pleading with his fans to calm down. Neither will I throw away Maidstone v Burnley from 1991 or Canvey Island 4-4 Port Vale from the FA Cup in about 2000.

There were some surprises in there. For example, my guide to the pubs in and around Newton Abbot as produced by the SU committee at Seale-Hayne agricultural college from 1996 was a nice surprise. As was finding a couple of fanzines, plus cricket scorcards and rugby matches involving Cornwall RFU I'd forgotten about from the late nineties.

Today I collect metal pin badges and a quick count up of the ones on my bad chart (yes, they're all hanging on the wall on one bit of cloth behind me) I have over 170 of them (178 I think).

Right now I feel strangely liberated.

Comment

Well done. As lovely as it is to own stuff it's a pain in the bum when those possessions come to own you.

Comment

I recently took a load of mid 2000s Quins programmes for recycling - it was amusing seeing the shower of rubbish that turned out for us, plus the historical curiousity of seeing players who have retired/become veteran stalwarts as fresh faced kids. And those who didn't quite fulfill their promise.

Comment

I recently decided that it is also time for me to part with the vast majority of my programme collection. It's mostly Hayes programmes from the mid-80s to early 2000s, plus a load of other random stuff that I've picked up over time.

This includes a load of German non-league programmes too, although I'm not sure whether there are many people over here or in Britain who are that interested in the programme from Sandhausen v. Heidelberg-Kirchheim in the Oberliga B-W. There isn't really a big collecting scene over here and programmes are often free, even at Bundesliga clubs.

Anyway, since we moved house in 2010, the collection has been tucked away in plastic storage boxes under an old table in the cellar. And if I've not looked at them in five years, I'm certainly not going to want to drag them along with me as and when we move house in the future.

The plan is to keep one small folder with a few programmes and tickets, from those games that have some sort of special meaning for me. My first Hayes game, the World Cup 2006 match ticket from the game in Stuttgart that I went to with Dad, and stuff like the programme from the night we beat Fulham in the FA Cup (signed by Jimmy Hill...).

I won't be binning them though - once H&Y are playing at the new ground, there will be a club shop starting up, and I'm going to donate the lot to the Supporters' Club.

Comment

What's the likelihood of H&Y getting their new ground at the moment?

Comment

It's not actually a new ground, though is it. It's Yeading's old ground tidied up a bit.

Comment

At the moment, it's not even that. Just a building site with a new football pitch next to it. Yeading's stand and social club are gone, replaced by the shell of a new building that will be the stand, club offices, social club, changing rooms all in one.

Floodlights are up, and the whole interior of the new stand needs to be finished. Looks like we won't have cash left over to do anything much with the rest of the ground, and if we're not in by 2016, I think the league will boot us out. Official line is that we'll be in by Christmas and that the new groundshare deal with Maidenhead is not for the whole season. We shall see.

Comment

I've wondered why H&Y don't try and get a rugby club on board to try and develop the facilities. London Welsh would be a good call surely?

Comment

I never collected programmes, I just failed to chuck them after the game. Then I started chucking them. Then I stopped getting them.

Comment

If you're getting rid of a collection another online option is sticking a message on this football programmes forum:
                                                http://www.footballprogrammecentre.co.uk/forum/index.php

Or give them to me

Comment

I'm also still interested if anyone is planning to get rid of programmes. In fact this thread reminded me that I was supposed to look into picking some up from sundeporino last summer, but I think I've possibly missed that train.

Comment

The box room in my House is basically just filled with football programmes and other memorabilia from matches I've been to, which given I average around 80 games a season is quite a bit. I have no plans to get rid of any of it, although the local non-league club will inherit it all when I expire.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X