#gotgotneed: Panini stickers WC14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have the following up for swaps should anybody be interested in a bulk exchange.

229,231,240,266,301,305,321,337,366,376,377,381,39 1,402,418,428,437,466,501,
    505,511,514,523(x2),539,557,562,564,583,628(x2),63 7,639

Comment

Not sure if I'm the victim of some rotten luck here. Yesterday, I was 13 packs into my collection, with 2 swapsies, so taking into account the ones that came with the album I'm just over 10% completed.

And then, packets number 14, 15, 16 and 17 were all full of swaps. Every single sticker. Twenty out of twenty. It's unlucky to get one packet like that when you're halfway through, but four when you've barely started? Assuming they print the same number of each and assort them randomly, then the chances of one sticker being one I already have is one in ten, making the probability of that happening twenty times in succession one in a hundred billion billion (equals a hundred trillion? A one with 20 zeroes anyhow).

Now I think we all know that first assumption has never been true, but what about the latter? Are they making up identical packs intentionally? I'm damned if I remember which combinations of five the stickers I already had came in, but I do remember getting two centre halves from the same club in one pack, Mertesacker and Koscielny; and upon opening my 16th pack last night, there they both were again, two Arsenal defenders mocking me, along with three other familiar faces.

Someone tell me they've had a similar experience?

My 18th pack had five "needs" in so it wasn't a complete waste.

Comment

Anyone else noted that you can identify the first sticker in the pack? The pack paper is thin and pale and it's easy to see whether the first sticker is a badge, a team or a player.

Of course, you might not want to rummage through a box of stickers, but I have little shame and am only buying packs where I can see it's a badge I haven't got yet.

The England thing is because Topps have the rights to the England team. Their competing sticker album is smaller and you get 7 stickers per pack for 25p. I've seen it in Morrisons, but not really anywhere else. I think Panini have aggressively been first to market. There were hundreds of free albums in Tesco and Asda over the past couple of weeks. There were also starter sticker sheets with 6 players on each one in Tesco. I picked up all 5 :-)

Comment

I can see through the back of the packs that I have, but then I can only sort of make out the number, not always fully. The front of the pack is a silver holographic design, and I can't see anything through that.

Comment

It's different to what we got in Wales, then.

Comment

The packs I have were printed in Brazil, guess it's different for Europe.

Comment

I'm sharing with my two daughters (7, 4). In each pack Daughter 1 gets the top sticker to stick in, Daughter 2 the second, I get the middle one, then Daughter 1 and Daughter 2.

We haven't been through many packs yet (12?) but on at least four occasions we Daughter 1 opens with a Ghanaian, Daughter 2 follows up with Honduras and I get a South Korean. In that order, 1-3. Random, my hairy backside...

Comment

My daughter's swapsies so far are

37, 41 (x2) - Paulinho - 92, 147 (Chile squad), 264, 274, 281, 321, 377, 429, 497, 537 and 637.

Comment

Finally got one for each team now, Brazil being the last one to get off the mark (thank you Luiz Gustavo)

There do seem to be a puzzlingly large number of packets that have a team photo at the front.

Comment

We've got about 150 so far, so are getting to the tipping point where each pack contains one we've already got. 8 Brazilians so far, and at least a couple from every other squad except Nigeria. They're our bogey team at the moment (in terms of finding any).

Comment

I've got about 130 and still no Iranians.

Comment

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote: We've got about 150 so far, so are getting to the tipping point where each pack contains one we've already got. 8 Brazilians so far, and at least a couple from every other squad except Nigeria. They're our bogey team at the moment (in terms of finding any).
                          I reached 241 stickers before I got my first Nigerian this afternoon. This is unprecedented in my experience. Something sinister is definitely afoot.

Comment

I've got some Nigerians. But I am up to 9 Italians and Croats and still no Iranians.

There's randomness and then there's just weird.

Greeks and Algerians also very rare, it seems.

Comment

I'm doing alright for Greeks I think.

Comment

Just opened three packs. The first I got three Chileans, the second three Algerians, the third three Australians. Each were in sequential order. Strange.

I still don't have any Brazilians or Russians.

Comment

I strongly suspect a regional bias to sticker distribution. Our packets are full of Germans and Italians. We've nearly finished both teams but hardly started others.

Comment

We keep getting stickers in pairs as well. About one third full, and not a single Dutch player. They're probably all still back in the sticker factory fighting over who they get to share a packet with.

Comment

About one third full, and not a single Dutch player.

You can have my Arjen Robben if you want. I received a packet of stickers with the local paper a couple of weeks ago (together with a diamond-shaped "Unabsteigbar" sticker in HSV colours, for the rear windscreen of the car that I don't have).

Comment

Finally got two Iranians. Also my first 'shiny' swap (number 00 - the Panini logo)

As you can see which sticker comes first in the packets, it's easy to see that in an entire box you will get several packets with the same first sticker. I wonder if that means the packets have the same contents.

Comment

Thanks for the offer, but you can keep the miserable slaphead - I'd hate to look out of my kitchen window and see our friendly postman in a fight with an envelope. And keep that HSV sticker to place somewhere appropriate in a week or two.

Comment

The first sticker I got out of a pack was Luis Montes (Mexico).
                                            The first swap I got was Luis Montes.
                                            The first treble I got was Luis Montes.
                                            I now have five Luis Monteses.

I've only got four Brazilians* and three Cameroonians. Fairly even spread apart from that, I've even got six stadium halves.

(Six if you include three Julio Cesars).

Comment

I've found the non-team stickers to be thin on the ground.

Comment

I've got 8 out of 32, which is a bit lower than average (I'm on 40%), but not desperately low.

Comment

The Mexican goalie is called Jesus.

Yes I know it would be pronounced differently - but still, think of the jokes!

"And Jesus saves!"

"And Jesus had a bit of trouble with that cross..."

Comment

If he makes a big mistake he's likely to be crucified...

Comment

Working...
                                                    X