Old cars that now look tremendous.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vulgarian Visigoth wrote: Two-tone cars should make a comeback.
    Surprisingly, the new Toyota C-HR, which we're sort of eyeballing, comes with a body colour/white roof option for around $700 (CDN). The teal/white and red/white both look pretty sharp.

Comment

WOM wrote: ...the new Toyota C-HR....
      Sorry, but does a car come with those wheel arch flares?

Comment

I haven't got the time to rake up photos - I am sure they will be provided by the time I return - but it is only when you see an old one that you realise that BMW used to make some really lovely looking cars. Similarly, Mercedes made some beautiful ones, of course.

Comment

I don't know who these guys are or what they are saying but I feel that I agree with every word.

http://boitierrouge.com/2014/12/16/j...e-la-gamme-xj/

Comment

One of my neighbours just acquired this:

Comment

Been waiting for a while to get Tinypic working. Gave up and Imgur to the rescue. This Alfa 2000 Berlina was in the same place, exactly as the recent Peugeot 504, and across the road from the blue Alfasud I posted last year. It must be the same person. I know the images are massive but hey.

Comment

Went to Haynes Motor Museum on Friday and there was one of those there and I was telling my brother that I am not a big fan of Alfa Romeos - aside from the Spider naturally - but that is lovely.

As you can imagine, the whole place was right up participants of this thread's street. It is probably more informative to tell you wht they didn't have. No Jaguar Xj6 series 1 or 2 amongst their Jags. No Aston Martin Vantage but they had the vile Lagonda. No Volvos at all. I feel very sorry for any Saab enthusiast who had to make do with a late 70s/early 80s 99. An early 70s Trans Am rather than the late 70s "Smokey and the Bandit" classic

Slightly off this thread but lovely to see that the speedway bike display took up about two thirds of the total motorbike collection.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                  One of my neighbours just acquired this:

I'd love to try one of those

Comment

Attention North American members: anyone know what this is? To me it's just an Anthill Mob car. I'm experimenting with resizing my images before they go on Imgur. So with luck this one will be less monstrous:

Last edited by Sits; 02-09-2017, 05:11.

Comment

Oh, you mentioning the Anthill Mob has reminded me that someone is doing a reboot of Wacky Races on Nickleodeon online or something.

It looked a lot glossier, and a bit 'off'. Intro

Comment

What is that yellow monstrosity?

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                          Attention North American members: anyone know what this is? To me it's just an Anthill Mob car.

1939 Packard?
                          Last edited by Chopper; 02-09-2017, 08:05.

Comment

Yes, looks very much like a late 30s Packard Touring Sedan, though the grille is off. Packards had vertical grilles. I'm also a bit unsure about the hood ornament.

Comment

Jesus, he's even got the uprights on the bumpers so he knows where the corners are. What a lovely looking monstrosity.

Comment

I love Peugeots and I love Colombo. It's wasn't until I followed the link in the "One thing that's bothering me..." thread that I realised that the latter may have influenced the former.

A 1959 403 convertible. Lovely.

Comment

Bit of a crossover with the Weather thread, but fans of classic cars will applaud the efforts of this group in Naples, Florida to ensure that their irreplaceable collection was spared any damage. https://revsinstitute.org/news/hurri...evs-institute/

Comment

Good for them. My best mate, a pilot, and I went to the Kermit Weeks air museum in Florida about a month before Hurricane Andrew struck in '92. The place was flattened and countless classic planes damaged.

Comment

Considering it turned 19 on Saturday I think I can put my Prado on here. Taken earlier today, as lovely as ever:

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                        Yes, looks very much like a late 30s Packard Touring Sedan, though the grille is off. Packards had vertical grilles. I'm also a bit unsure about the hood ornament.
                                        Not a Packard - wrong grille - no characteristic 'step' towards either edge of the grille. It's a Buick, judging by the mascot ...sorry, 'hood ornament', although it seems they changed the ornament during the 40s. I'm struggling to find the exact Buick model, but I'm pretty certain that it's a LaSalle and that it's a cortege car. This is a later (1940s) version of the model and in a 'woody' style (although I think the woodiness might be a later addition). Check the door handles and the vinyl(?) on the roof - almost identical, although the vinyl doesn't go back as far on the later model.

-

Comment

The (Wankel-engined) 1967 Mazda Cosmo Sport:

Comment

Hur, hur, you said "Wankel". Actually, the Wankel engine won me a pub quiz point recently.

That is right up my street. The white ones are possibly better and look at the silver one!

Comment

I think I've fallen in love all over again!

In other words, I think I know what my dream 'next car' is. (Of course, whether I'm ever going to actually be in a position to afford to buy another car is a different matter. As it is, it looks like my Fiat Panda might have to last a few more years yet.)

But back to the optimism! I want one of these! ...Really quite badly!

-

-

Ideally in that colour, too.

The thing is, they're really not that expensive ...yet. You can pick up a high mileage one for £750, while one in the 'showroom' condition, above, would probably be a bit over £2000. The prices are just starting to climb, though, I think. It seems people are remembering them again and recognise what an investment they could be.

Despite the looks, they were never about performance, though. But that doesn't matter to me. If you drive a car that beautiful, you've already won!

My preferred colour would be that red (well, it is a Pininfarina design!) followed by pewter grey, black and the mid-blue they used. Strangely, silver just makes them look tinny and cheap. Bizarrely, they also did them in a pale yellow which actually worked really well on them. (There was one at my previous workplace in that hue.)

Anyway... it certainly looks a bit better than the Ford Focus Mk.1 that I was previously set on!

(edit: And here's a nice write-up about them.)
                                              Last edited by evilC; 20-03-2018, 17:58.

Comment

Those were nice, but not a patch on the 1992 Honda Prelude, I reckon.

Last edited by hobbes; 20-03-2018, 18:08.

Comment

Yeah, that is nice.

Originally posted by evilC View Post
                                                  I think I've fallen in love all over again!

In other words, I think I know what my dream 'next car' is. (Of course, whether I'm ever going to actually be in a position to afford to buy another car is a different matter. As it is, it looks like my Fiat Panda might have to last a few more years yet.)

But back to the optimism! I want one of these! ...Really quite badly!

-

-

Ideally in that colour, too.

The thing is, they're really not that expensive ...yet. You can pick up a high mileage one for £750, while one in the 'showroom' condition, above, would probably be a bit over £2000. The prices are just starting to climb, though, I think. It seems people are remembering them again and recognise what an investment they could be.

Despite the looks, they were never about performance, though. But that doesn't matter to me. If you drive a car that beautiful, you've already won!

My preferred colour would be that red (well, it is a Pininfarina design!) followed by pewter grey, black and the mid-blue they used. Strangely, silver just makes them look tinny and cheap. Bizarrely, they also did them in a pale yellow which actually worked really well on them. (There was one at my previous workplace in that hue.)

Anyway... it certainly looks a bit better than the Ford Focus Mk.1 that I was previously set on!

(edit: And here's a nice write-up about them.)
                                                  I have been long lauding those and all Pininfarina-designed Peugeots. This is not least due to the fact that I owned a 406 - albeit estate - and the thought of that in a more sporty body for what would be a decent price nowadays is alluring. Indeed, I have owned Peugeots now for pretty much 20 years and like them all but those Pininfarina ones are lovely.

Comment

I had a 504 in burgandy. It was lovely, but a a pain in the ass as it hated wet weather (a disadvantage in these parts.) Peugeot also had no dealer support here (still don't.) I did hate to say goodbye to it though.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X