X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$19 billion!

Stumpy Pepys wrote:
    Originally posted by Bored of Education
    Really, bloody hell, I use it all the time as does the boy and the wife. It's not just us talking to each other to save shouting up the stairs either, there are other people that use it. The boy has found a way of actually talking to people on it, I know not how.
    So we can statistically extrapolate you and your family to represent the population of the Earth?
    Knock yourself out. Bit boring though.

Comment

$19 billion!

I understand Zuckerberg's logic in purchasing WhatsApp. (Don't forget Google tried to buy them as well.)

Whether it's worth what he's paid for it, however, is highly debatable.

Comment

$19 billion!

When you have more money than you could possibly spend, worth doesn't really enter the picture. You either decide to spend what it takes to maintain a dominant position or you don't.

It's like two rich guys bidding on an X-Box at a charity golf tournament. It's not worth $2000, but it's worth $2000 to not be the guy who goes home without it.

Comment

$19 billion!

Yebbut, he's spent ten per cent of the value of Facebook on this.

Comment

$19 billion!

Clearly sees potential that we don't. It's too easy to underestimate the vision of a genius-like Internet billionaire.

Comment

$19 billion!

Like I said, these networks are as valuable as the number of people who are using them. And people understandably migrate to the services their friends are using.

WhatsApp as about 500 million regular users and Facebook are concerned they could lose out to mobile in the long-term.

But as I said, is $16bn a price worth paying? Only history can judge.

Comment

$19 billion!

Navneet Alang's blog post, Why Facebook’s WhatsApp Purchase Feels Like Cultural Imperialism, ("If WhatsApp is ostensibly just one more American company buying another, the optics are different because the user base is full of non-Western, non-white people. Just because it isn’t imperialism per se, it doesn’t mean it can’t give off uncomfortable echoes of it"), here.

Comment

$19 billion!

Furtho wrote: Navneet Alang's blog post, Why Facebook’s WhatsApp Purchase Feels Like Cultural Imperialism, ("If WhatsApp is ostensibly just one more American company buying another, the optics are different because the user base is full of non-Western, non-white people. Just because it isn’t imperialism per se, it doesn’t mean it can’t give off uncomfortable echoes of it"), here.
                  There's nothing more Western than complaining about the acquisition of a mobile app.

Comment

$19 billion!

Facebook buys Oculus VR for $2bn.

Not sure what to make of that.

Comment

Working...
                    X