Scottish independence campaign gets fillip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuck knows Dunc, but Scotland seems to like periods of big party hegemony ever since the franchise got widened (Liberals, Unionist/Scotch Tory, SLab and now Nat). So doubtless a new monolith will be along in a while.

Or maybe independence will break the curse of one dominant corruptible party deigning to "speak for Scotland".

Comment

Haha. SLab confirm they will vote against the section 30 motion in Holyrood this week. "There's nae mandate!" they squeal, as if June 23 never happened and Brexit wasn't given as an example in the Holyrood election manifesto of what may trigger another IndyRef. I guess by that logic we need a referendum on whether there should be another referendum.

The optics are pure mad as well, this will rub out what remains of their base even quicker than 2014. Why not just vote Tory? It's not like anyone believes a Labour front bench containing Anas Sarwar would do anything left wing at all should they magically take power at Holyrood.

Meanwhile, Fluffy Mundell has said the Big Govt will reject a Section 30 request "at this time". Hmmm. Are they really going to duke it out? Just throw Ruthie on Reporting Scotland every five minutes to give some "The People have spoken already Nicola" guff for the next two years? Wee Ruthie mightn't be as repellent as your average Tory, but there seems so much wishful thinking in the press and Tory HQ that Davidson is their secret weapon. She gives good snarl, but there is woeciously little of substance there, and she hasn't been tested yet (Peat Worrier's blog has some very good stuff on her shallow as a baby pool debating and interview style).

Comment

Professional Idiot Natalie McGarry has parted company with her lawyer Aamer Anwar. Only a massive numpty would get rid of Glasgow's goto big criminal defence lawyer, so I'm guessing Natalie might soon be in the Bar-L womens' wing if he has dropped her (surely she wasn't fibbing to him about all the "resting in my account" horribleness?). Which means a by-election (and Slab's last best chance to keep some foothold in Glasgow) if the early election talk is all fur coat and nae knickers (and an early election will doubtless see on yer Beeb or Guardian analysis SNP holding say 48 seats being seen as disaster).

Comment

Oh, and Tom Holland can fuck off. A hack, a poor man's Schama (jesus). A chaser of the New! never been heard before theory (and Tv tie-in), that as with Shadow of the Sword, isn't all that new, and more than a bit iffy. His sudden interest in the Scottish Greens' manifesto is endearing but seriously, just fuck off. His tweet associations the past few years with the likes of unhinged (almost worse than Effie Deans) Profs Jill Stephenson or "Not racist but.." Tom Gallagher are as bad as your man Richard Murphy hangin with Wings over Scotland prick.

Comment

Meanwhile, Fluffy Mundell has said the Big Govt will reject a Section 30 request "at this time". Hmmm. Are they really going to duke it out? Just throw Ruthie on Reporting Scotland every five minutes to give some "The People have spoken already Nicola" guff for the next two years? Wee Ruthie mightn't be as repellent as your average Tory, but there seems so much wishful thinking in the press and Tory HQ that Davidson is their secret weapon. She gives good snarl, but there is woeciously little of substance there, and she hasn't been tested yet (Peat Worrier's blog has some very good stuff on her shallow as a baby pool debating and interview style).

Back when I was in college, I used to do a spot of Debating, and I was reminded the other day that I used to debate against Ruth Davidson. My memory is of someone who tried to substitute anger, and aggressive faux confidence for coherent thought. Though in hindsight, that might be down to being a closet case, in the most gay friendly activity outside of irish dancing, or college drama societies.

Comment

Is this the same Ruth Davidson that said this 10 months ago?

"If we vote to come out of the biggest free trade block anywhere in the world there will be tariffs put on British businesses that will affect our ability to trade abroad. You don't fund schools and hospitals and you don't control immigration by crashing the economy and that's what leaving the EU would do."

The media like to project Davidson as somehow having greater virtue because she's not a bools in the mooth Tory, when in fact non bools in the mooth, petit bourgeois (Davidson's background) Tories are absolutely the worst.

Comment

Hmm, amazing how someone I'm assuming you met as a GUU bow tie or big bow dress opponent (unless you aren't allowed to attend debating comps like you're going to a fucking ceilidh) has managed to get a pass on her "oh just fell into politics one day at the Beeb, never thought of it before, became Passionate about a Cam Cam speech then, Vocation!" bollocks.

No offence Berba, but my experience (from afar, from the other less Jockular Glasgow Uni Union - "the one for poofs and ugly cows" I remember a 1st year, cocky like you only get in a Perthshire man through private schooling arrogance lessons, hall mate cheerfully told me while getting suited and Psyched! for the GUU freshers' ball - that were too busy necking pills or Gold microdots or just drinking shit shit unclean taps beer to bother with such competitive Fraserness), most folk into the Debating lark were driven, pathological even Must Be Taoiseachs (or Taoiseach's spad).

Comment

She's now riding on the Murphymobile. And dropped another bollock by saying Murphy had been attacked by "various unionists who claim to be experts on the GERs but are not widely published economists". Hague cited two professors of economics attacking Murphy.

Comment

Will be no great mischief if she falls. Anyone once associated with Pat Kane obviously has dubious judgement. Maybe on the more cerebral faction of the SNP's Idiots wing, a cut above Angus B McNeill, Pete Wishart and "call me Dr" Paul Monaghan. Fannies all. Though only mibees Wishart and Monaghan (along with the always trite Ahmed Shiekh) are really vulnerable in the next Westminster/Holyrood get go.

Comment

McNeil did the same deny your own figures thing. How does anybody think that can end well?

Robertson looks extremely good.

Comment

There's a lot of magical thinking from the usual frothers, but the data really is a bit vague. Hague really hasn't dealt with the future of hard Brexit, and how that would wreck his precious stats. And if he really thinks Scotland, let alone Poor Wales, is going to keep getting any Barnett dividend worth a damn post a no vote as England Awakes and Theresa listens, he is as naive and as stupit as the Great Dugdale herself. And this will be how England kills the Union (still expect a second na).

Comment

Agree, Hague isn't looking at Hard Brexit. As Simon Wren-Lewis says, that changes stuff.

Comment

Tubby Isaacs wrote:

She's now riding on the Murphymobile. And dropped another bollock by saying Murphy had been attacked by "various unionists who claim to be experts on the GERs but are not widely published economists". Hague cited two professors of economics attacking Murphy.
                            erm don't the Gers figures for 2010-11 show a deficit of about 6 billion even if you include a geographical share of oil? I mean that's certainly what the executive summary says.

Comment

Pat Kane, just sayin. Were Hue and Cry a thing in Ireland? Fuckin hell. My ma still loves them and fellow windy celts Deacon Blue.

Comment

The Awesome Berbaslug!!! wrote:
                                Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs

erm don't the Gers figures for 2010-11 show a deficit of about 6 billion even if you include a geographical share of oil? I mean that's certainly what the executive summary says.
                                She'd be talking about 2009-10.

In other news, add Dr Philippa Whitford to the list of people I'd like to see lose their seat.

http://rwbblog.blogspot.co.uk/2017/03/has-snp-just-changed-its-pension-policy.html

I'm still predicting another No (which will please Spoony). They've wasted a lot of time in not establishing a more realistic sense of where Scotland is now. There's no way it's tenable to argue anything else in a second referendum.

But boy, do we need somebody like them that understand Brexit down here.

Comment

Mundell now talking like section 30 won't even be entertained until any transitional arrangements are over, let alone upon leaving the EU. Fucking scum. It's almost like they are goading the most idiot Nats into doing a mini GPO.

It's so fucking obvious they are trying to kick this past at least the next Holyrood election, so that FM Ruthie (for sure Slab and Lib Dems will back her on a grand coalition) can squash all the talk once and for all. Bastards.

Comment

File under shocking but not surprising:
                                    Scottish Government civil servants are being instructed to pass draft responses to freedom of information (FOI) requests from journalists to politically appointed special advisers.

Comment

No surprise. The Ferret has been very good on the Scot Gov's FOI blocking, unminuted meetings etc.

I'm getting more and more a late Blair vibe from Sturgeon in Holyrood. Triangulation has been the way the SNP have rolled since Salmond, but now it's like all there is. Managerialism, control, secrecy and inertia. There's a chance they could be PASOK'd, if the left in the Central belt "come home to Labour", and the Tories take the culchies and middle classes. Control of the message being all, who cares about the substantive policy? (Policies which can't do anything radical or unpopular with key demographics, as the Nats try to keep together an unwieldy coalition from Mhari Black to the truly Tartan Tory Fergus Ewing).

Tbh, I'll be surprised if Sturgeon lasts full term as much as May doing so. Only the lack of visible talent at Holyrood talent to replace her might keep her there (another way in which they resemble SLab under the floundering McConnell last regime, all the "big beasts" at Westminster, or were (not meaning Salmond who needs to fuck right off anyway, but Robertson)). Still, in ten years, after a good dose of Argentina style collapse, when it's all too late to join the EU, no doubt that's when Scotland will get its 60% pro Indy ratings.
                                      Last edited by Lang Spoon; 04-07-2017, 20:17.

Comment

Morning Spoony, couple of questions:

1) Is there a Scots (language) equiv of Culchies- Auchtermuchties maybe?

2) Didn't Wee Eck (Salmond) say before IndyRef #1 that he'd retire quite soon- his wife (late 70s herself) wanted him to slow down?

Talking of language, I was on the scenic route to Ireland recently (Irbhinn- Gharbhain rail line) and had to confess to a local that I couldn't understand her accent

Comment

Morning, Dunc.

The word is Teuchter. But that's more for heiland folk, dunno what would cover borders types. Mibbees sheepshagger covers all the rurals outwith Coruscant.
                                          Last edited by Lang Spoon; 05-07-2017, 17:50.

Comment

Weakening the SNP is about the only thing that's gone right for May. Not only did she do well in the General Election, holding it at all adds to the "oh Christ, can't bear more politicians campaigning, just get on with some work" vibe that they've capitalized on v the SNP. Quite a trick when it's you that held the last unnecessary vote. Brexit could still be an electoral problem though. Surprised to see that Remain won easily in most of the Perth/Aberdeen area- thought there were more Moray marginals. SNP with some distance from independence could win those places back.

Comment

Just looking at the front page, but this Nuffield Report on the Scottish NHS looks positive.

https://www.nuffieldtrust.org.uk/res...scotland-s-nhs

Comment

https://twitter.com/HannahB4LiviMP/status/1006864595112296448
                                                https://twitter.com/HannahB4LiviMP/s...64595112296448

Comment

https://www.newstatesman.com/politic...orth-risks#amp

Fuckin hell, even Arch Sensible Bore Chris Deerin looks to be edging toward Indy.

Comment

well Duh. The Union doesn't die if the London govt kills scots. It dies if the london govt runs around in the nip smearing excrement in their hair.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X