X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Philip Seymour Hoffman

Dead

Bloody hell

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304626804579358943360702878?mod=WS J_NY_LEFTTopStories

Philip Seymour Hoffman

Oh.

http://en.mediamass.net/people/philip-seymour-hoffman/deathhoax.html

Thank fuck. I'll just clean this egg off my face

Comment

Philip Seymour Hoffman

or... I don;t know any more.

Fucking Internet

It seems like it may be a coincidence that this week there was a Philip Seymour Hoffman death rumour, and now he has actually died.

Or not.

Comment

Philip Seymour Hoffman

Very strange.

The Wall Street Journal appears to have taken its report down, but the New York Post (another Murdoch property) is still leading with the story (citing police sources). Their story has now been picked up by ABC News and others.

Comment

Philip Seymour Hoffman

That's quite bizarre.The BBC is carrying the story that he died at 11.15am this morning in a Manhattan hotel. He's 46 which surprised me as I thought he was at least 10 years older than that.

Comment

Philip Seymour Hoffman

He'll get the loudest applause in the died this year bit at the Oscars now

He usually added a much needed earnest-ness to whatever film he was in. Although the last thing I seen him in was when I dipped into Twister, where it seemed he was playing the zany role. Very odd what I saw of it.

rip

Comment

Philip Seymour Hoffman

The BBC website report (updated recently) says the cause of death is not known at this time, but 20 minutes ago BBC radio was confidently reporting it was a drug overdose.

Comment

Philip Seymour Hoffman

I keep clicking 'refresh' on the news feed in the hope that this really isn't true. What a crying fucking shame.

Good thing I didn't get here first, though - my thread title would probably have been something along the lines of, 'Kaputt, eh?"

Comment

Philip Seymour Hoffman

Cops have told the Post that he had a needle in his arm when he was he found, thus the overdose reports.

And the "hoax" site that ad hoc linked to appears to be a piece of Chinese performance art.

None of which should detract from the magnitude of the loss.

RIP

Comment

Philip Seymour Hoffman

Desperate news. A stellar talent and an Academy award winner worthy of the accolade. RIP, PSH.

Comment

Philip Seymour Hoffman

immense loss

Just remembered what he did to the otherwise run-of-the-mill Cold Mountain. In fact if you look at his filmography, there's a load of films which he dominated or saved without playing the leading role.

Comment

Philip Seymour Hoffman

Actually, I knew I had seen him but couldn't think of a film where he was the lead and that is because I saw him as a supporting actor in "Almost Famous", "Boogie Nights", "Big Lebowski" etc.

Comment

Philip Seymour Hoffman

He lead that one about Capote and that one where he played a version of L Ron Hubbard, but he mainly excelled in supporting roles.

A great loss.

Comment

Philip Seymour Hoffman

Very sad.

I loved him in Charlie Wilson's War.

Comment

Philip Seymour Hoffman

Outside Agent wrote: Very sad.

I loved him in Charlie Wilson's War.
                              I'll second that, nice supporting role. Great little film too.

Even though he actually played the Master in The Master, I would still class it as a supporting role. Joaquin Phoenix is the central character.

Comment

Philip Seymour Hoffman

Now is the time you should see Max & Mary.

Comment

Philip Seymour Hoffman

Devastating news. I just saw The Master other day, and as usual, Hoffman excelled in his role. Ever since I noticed him for the first time in Boogie Nights back in 1997 followed by Magnolia the year after, he has been an actor whose career I have tried to follow. A shame it ended so prematurely. I will definitely miss him on screen.

Comment

Philip Seymour Hoffman

If you replace "Boogie Nights in 1997" with "Happiness in 1998", then: What Belhaven said.

I always watch any film directed by Ulrich Seidl just because he's the director. The same is true of Philip Seymour Hofmann: I'd watch any film he's in just because he's in it.

Comment

Philip Seymour Hoffman

Never heard of him, but there was a cracking interview on Radio Ulster with some plum of a critic who said 'oh, it's a tragedy. He was sooooo talented. He could do 'big ', he could do 'small'. He could do 'happy' , he could do 'sad'.
                                      Fuck me, really?
                                      An actor can do all that?

I'd love to think the critic got paid for that.

Comment

Philip Seymour Hoffman

Terrible news. He'll be dreadfully missed.

I particularly enjoyed his performance in Doubt.

Comment

Philip Seymour Hoffman

I've long regarded him as the best actor of his generation. It's a shame he won his only Oscar for a mannered impersonation, because he rarely gave mannered performances. There never was this thing you get with other greatest actors of their generation, where even great performances are so obviously calculated.

My favourite Hoffman performance was in The Savages, a beautifully judged performance that gave an insight into his character's inner life without much revealing dialogue or dramatic gestures.

Something similar applies with his performance as the priest in Doubt. The difference here is that we don't know whether the priest is really hurting or affecting hurt.

Comment

Philip Seymour Hoffman

I echo what everyone says here about how sad the loss is, especially in light of his three young children.

Like a lot of people, I think his performances that stick with me most are the "smaller" ones in films like 'Happiness', '25th Hour' and 'Moneyball'. G-Man's right that his Oscar-winning role in 'Capote' is somewhat out of step with the rest of his career.

Comment

Philip Seymour Hoffman

Was Capote his only lead role? He was phenomenal in every role. Loved him in The Talented Mr Ripley as well as the other films mentioned here.

Fuck heroin.

Comment

Philip Seymour Hoffman

He was obviously very talented but, for some reason, any time I saw him in anything he always seemed to be playing the same role over and over again, i.e. a pudgy loser who hates himself but is basically a good person underneath it all.

Anyway, a really tragic story. What the fuck was a rich, successful, peer-respected 47-year-old with a young family doing injecting himself to the gills with heroin?

Comment

Philip Seymour Hoffman

Thanks for that contribution Calvert.

I tend to think a supporting actor as one who isn't one of the two main protagonists of the film – you wouldn't class, say, Gert Fröbe in Goldfinger as a supporting actor, no? Hofmann plays the titular character of The Master, as Fröbe did in Goldfinger – feels very odd to describe either as supporting actors.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X