• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know a song that'll get on your nerves

Felicity, I guess so wrote:
    even Escape (The Pina Colada Song)!
    Sorry, toxic as ever for me.

But Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep, The Hustle and Popcorn are all OK now.

Comment

Sean of the Shed wrote: Deep Blue Something - Breakfast At Tiffany's
      I heard this on the radio this morning. I thought I had erased it from my mind but all the bad feeling came back like a bitter lump of vomit into your mouth.
      That's a great call. Mind you I now hate you for reminding me.

Comment

Felicity, I guess so wrote:
        Never Let Her Slip Away...
        Do you remember the cover of that by a group called Undercover in 1992? That version reminds me of a desperate crush that 11-year-old me had on a 14-year-old girl at our church called Emma.

If you're out there Emma, this post's for you.

There's a great clip on YouTube of Undercover doing the song on what looks like a Brazilian Saturday night family entertainment show (think Noel's House Party but replacing Noel's Crinkly Bottom with a bevy of bikini-clad beauties). The group are clearly some chancers who made the original a bit plinky-plonky in their garage and as the camera holds on the singer in the intro, you can see the look on his face scream "How the **** did I get here?"

Comment

Popcorn is great. The Hustle is OK, but a bit TOO familiar (there were some other great disco orchestral hits).

Chirpy Chirpy certainly can irritate still. Though I did happen to shuffle through Mac and Katie Kissoon's version the other day.

Comment

I neither know or want to, who it's by or what it's called, but the one which goes

Hey soul sister, ain't that Mister Mister on the radio?

is killing me.

Seriously? Are those meant to be lyrics? Everything that's wrong about modern chart music.

Comment

Auntie Beryl wrote: I thought this thread was going to be about "Lightning Bolt" by grumpy authenticity's Jake Bugg.
              Brilliant.

Comment

I think I've got you all beat.

Comment

Sits wrote: I neither know or want to, who it's by or what it's called, but the one which goes

Hey soul sister, ain't that Mister Mister on the redio?

is killing me.

Seriously? Are those meant to be lyrics? Everything that's wrong about modern chart music.
                  That, and the fact that somebody - anybody - could ever believe that Mr bloody Mister, for Christ's sake, might represent any kind of name to drop.

Comment

Jah Womble wrote:
                    Originally posted by Sits
                    I neither know or want to, who it's by or what it's called, but the one which goes

Hey soul sister, ain't that Mister Mister on the redio?

is killing me.

That, and the fact that somebody - anybody - could ever believe that Mr bloody Mister, for Christ's sake, might represent any kind of name to drop.
                    Or what they have to do with Soul.

Comment

Quite. I'm starting to concur that those lyrics might be about the worst I've ever heard.

And I've heard The Cranberries.

Comment

Ah go on, I know you want them all. There are a lot of lyrics, and they're all shite:

Hey, hey, hey
                        Tonight
                        hey
                        (Hey) hey
                        (Hey) hey
                        Your lipstick stains
                        On the front lobe of my
                        Left-side brains
                        I knew I wouldn't forget you
                        And so I went and let you
                        Blow my mind
                        (Let you blow my mind)
                        Your sweet moonbeam
                        The smell of you in every
                        Single dream I dream
                        I knew when we collided
                        You're the one I have decided
                        Who's one of my kind
                        (You're one of my kind)
                        Hey soul sister
                        Ain't that mister mister
                        On the radio, stereo
                        The way you move ain't fair, you know
                        Hey soul sister
                        I don't wanna miss a single thing you do
                        Tonight
                        hey
                        (Hey) hey
                        (Hey) hey
                        Just in time
                        I'm so glad you have a one track mind like me
                        You gave my life direction
                        A game show love connection
                        We can't deny
                        ('ny, 'ny)
                        I'm so obsessed
                        My heart is bound to beat
                        Right out my untrimmed chest
                        I believe in you
                        Like a virgin, you're Madonna
                        And I'm always gonna wanna blow your mind
                        Hey soul sister
                        Ain't that mister mister
                        On the radio, stereo
                        Hey soul sister
                        Tonight
                        The way you can cut a rug
                        Watching you is the only drug I need
                        So gangster, I'm so thug
                        You're the only one I'm dreaming of
                        You see, I can be myself now finally
                        In fact there's nothing I can't be
                        I want the world to see you'll be with me
                        Hey soul sister
                        Ain't that mister mister
                        On the radio, stereo
                        Hey soul sister
                        I don't wanna miss a single thing you do tonight
                        Hey soul sister
                        Tonight
                        hey
                        (Hey) hey
                        (Hey) hey
                        Tonight
                        (Hey) hey
                        (Hey) hey
                        (Hey) hey
                        Tonight

Comment

I spend a lot of time in charidee shops. Some of the national chains have their own radio station, others seem always to be playing the same cds on rotation.

In any case I have heard far too often recently What's Up? by 4 Non-blondes. The mixture of profundity, portentousness and ostentation, built on actually very little drives me fucking mad. I had the flu over the weekend and part of my feverish sleeplessness was haunted by those non-blonde bastards and their screeching

Comment

Surely the best answer to the question "What's going on?" would be "a different radio station."

Comment

'My heart is bound to beat...right out my untrimmed chest'?

Seriously? If my nine-year-old daughter composed anything as wretched as that, I'd ground her for a month.

Take a bow, Sits - that's the motherlode, right there.

Comment

To be fair to Train (for it is they) they're hardly the most 'modern' of "modern chart music" as Sits puts it. Their debut hit Drops Of Jupiter from 2001 remains utterly lovely.

I really could've done without the knowledge that that Hey Soul Sister lyric about the singer's "untrimmed chest" is what it turns out to be, mind. Eurgh.

Meanwhile, 3CR you're an utter shit for reminding me of Doop. No arguments with that one.

Comment

Is it merely a coincidence that this thread has reappeared at the same time as we are discussing the complete chart takeover by Ed Sheeran?

Comment

And is Train supposed to be prefixed by a silent "S".

Comment

I've seen Train live. Against my will. I think I've mentioned that before.

Comment

Various Artist wrote: Meanwhile, 3CR you're an utter shit for reminding me of Doop. No arguments with that one.
                                        My work here is done. Between that and What's Up, I reckon that the populace must have entered some kind of collective hysteria in 1994.

Comment

Various Artist wrote: To be fair to Train (for it is they) they're hardly the most 'modern' of "modern chart music" as Sits puts it. Their debut hit Drops Of Jupiter from 2001 remains utterly lovely.
                                          Sorry VA, but this is profoundly wrong, Drops of Jupiter is one of the most irritating songs ever. It's what came to mind immediately for me on seeing this thread, in fact. The singer just sounds so fucking self-satisfied. Can't stand it. *shudders*

Also, it has this lyric:

'so tell me / did you make it to the Milky Way?'

which has always got on my nerves because THAT'S THE FUCKING GALAXY WE'RE IN YOU DULL FUCK. YOU CAN'T 'MAKE IT TO' THERE, YOU AND EVERYTHING YOU'VE EVER KNOWN HAS ALWAYS BEEN AND ALWAYS FUCKING WILL BE THERE AS MUCH AS I'D LIKE TO FIND A WAY TO FIRE YOU OUT OF IT AT GREAT SPEED YOU SMARMY FUCKNUGGET

*ahem*

Sorry, I'll go back to the X11 thread now.

Comment

3 Colours Red wrote:
                                            Originally posted by Various Artist
                                            Meanwhile, 3CR you're an utter shit for reminding me of Doop. No arguments with that one.
                                            My work here is done. Between that and What's Up, I reckon that the populace must have entered some kind of collective hysteria in 1994.
                                            Doop was a regrettable moment, 'tis true, but gimmicky Eurodreck like that was forever emerging during the eighties and nineties. I'm far more down with trashing the likes of Train, who likely actually believe themselves to be great artists.

However, at the risk of being deemed a monumental pain in the arse, I have to point out that What's Up was a hit in 1993, as opposed to the following year. Thankfully 4 Non-Talents didn't find any further chart action - over here at least. (Linda Perry, of course, went on to become a successful songwriter and producer for others. Her and that stupid hat of hers.)

I'll likely be along to defend 1994 at some point over on the requisite thread.

Comment

Gawpus wrote:
                                              Originally posted by Various Artist
                                              To be fair to Train (for it is they) they're hardly the most 'modern' of "modern chart music" as Sits puts it. Their debut hit Drops Of Jupiter from 2001 remains utterly lovely.
                                              Sorry VA, but this is profoundly wrong, Drops of Jupiter is one of the most irritating songs ever. It's what came to mind immediately for me on seeing this thread, in fact. The singer just sounds so fucking self-satisfied. Can't stand it. *shudders*

Also, it has this lyric:

'so tell me / did you make it to the Milky Way?'

which has always got on my nerves because THAT'S THE FUCKING GALAXY WE'RE IN YOU DULL FUCK. YOU CAN'T 'MAKE IT TO' THERE, YOU AND EVERYTHING YOU'VE EVER KNOWN HAS ALWAYS BEEN AND ALWAYS FUCKING WILL BE THERE AS MUCH AS I'D LIKE TO FIND A WAY TO FIRE YOU OUT OF IT AT GREAT SPEED YOU SMARMY FUCKNUGGET
                                              Well, OK, since you put it like that...

Should I launch a defence of What's Up now, or is it best to leave that one well alone do we think?

Comment

I think Gawpus is wavering.

Anyway...Dreams by Gabrielle is a song I can't listen to without wanting to stab myself in the ears.

Comment

From what I recall, her ex-boyfriend could've done that for you.

Comment

Felicity, "Escape" is irredeemably bad. Throws up on the radio here occasional. As does that other other unspeakably irritating piece of crap, "Horse With No Name", a record that has been known to drive me from a building screaming to commit random acts of violence.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X