No announcement yet.

I know a song that'll get on your nerves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's a great deal of personal cognitive dissonance with A Horse With No Name - the lyrics are fucking atrocious (in the realms of Anthony Kiedis bad) but it's a nice melody and some of the harmonies are gorgeous.

Comment

Yeah, I can't see the problem with "Horse With No Name". There are many better America songs -- "Sister Golden Hair" is gorgeous -- but I never got the hate for it. There are many songs that merit the energy of hatred much more than this.

Comment

I went out to lunch earlier this week, and the restaurant we went to played a song I hadn't heard in a very, very long time. Unfortunately it was still too soon. Dancing in the Moonlight by Toploader.

Comment

Originally posted by adams house cat View Post
          Felicity, "Escape" is irredeemably bad. Throws up on the radio here occasional. As does that other other unspeakably irritating piece of crap, "Horse With No Name", a record that has been known to drive me from a building screaming to commit random acts of violence.
          So it doesn't drive you into a desert where you can't remember your name?

Comment

And it"s good to be out of the rain. No.

I used to live in New Mexico and I love the desert. Never forgot my name, though.

Comment

"In the desert you can remember your name
              'Cos there ain't no one for to give you no pain"

This couplet alone would do that. It's ugly, idiotic, and screams linguistic incompetence from every syllable.

Comment

Heard "we built this city " earlier,that's spectacularly annoying

Comment

Oh thanks that's my un-turn-off-able inner speakers tainted for a few days then.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post

"In the desert you can remember your name
                    'Cos there ain't no one for to give you no pain"

This couplet alone would do that. It's ugly, idiotic, and screams linguistic incompetence from every syllable.
                    Bad lyrics in pop music? Who knew?

Comment

Sailing - Rod Stewart
                      All Around My Hat - Steeleye Span
                      Where Do You Go To My Lovely - Peter Sarstedt
                      Anything by Queen, except for Under Pressure and the first minute or so of Another One Bites The Dust

The first three, and a lot of other '70s semi-novelty hits, were on the jukebox in the bar when I went to university in the late '80s. That's where the irritation really started to build.

Comment

We Built This City is just spectacularly sh*te, as opposed to merely 'irritating'.

Where Do You Go To My Lovely fits the bill pretty well, I guess - right down to the lack of a question mark in its title.

The Fugees' pair of 1996 chart-toppers do so, too, for a variety of other reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                          We Built This City is just spectacularly sh*te, as opposed to merely 'irritating'.

Where Do You Go To My Lovely fits the bill pretty well, I guess - right down to the lack of a question mark in its title.
                          Right as usual on WBTC.

I'd tell you I'd never heard Where Do You Go My Lovely, but...

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                            The Fugees' pair of 1996 chart-toppers do so, too, for a variety of other reasons.
                            One time!

Comment

Aaaaaaaarrrgghhhhhh!!!

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                              Right as usual on WBTC.

I'd tell you I'd never heard Where Do You Go My Lovely, but...
                              ...I'd call you one of the luckiest men on the planet?

Comment

One time is still OK. Two time... no.

Comment

G- stands for generous in this instance.

Comment

"Where Do You Go..." is, indeed, spectacularly irritating. Also "You Make Me Feel Like Dancing" from Leo Sayer. It may be just him, though. He always got on my tits.

Comment

Must be Sayer. "You Make Me Feel Like Dancing" is a fine pop record. Fun to sing along to, fun to dance to.

I never got the hatred for Sarstedt's opus. It wouldn't feature on my playlists, but I don't mind if I hear it. But there are several widely-despised songs which I'm OK with. Like "Seasons In The Sun". It's an okay song; I'd not run to the hills if it comes on. And it's not like I don't have a shitparade of songs that shred my nerves.

My particular hatred is reserved for the big power ballads of the 1980, led by "The Power Of Love" by Jennifer Rush and "Simply The Best". Make me homicidal. And UB40's double whammy of putrid piss, "Kingston Town" and "Can't Help Falling In Love" -- not so much the songs, though I dislike the latter anyway, but for the arrangements and Ali Campbell's nauseating vocal delivery. And from that era, add Elton John's "It's No Sacrifice" and Phil Collins' "Another Day In Paradise".

Comment

You're The Voice by John Farnham is the song that makes me want to take a putter to my own shins. The "Wo-oh-oh"s are the worst, of course.

Comment

You all might not have the best taste in the music that you love, but by crikey you have excellent ears for the shit. Almost every one is a dry wank. That crud by Deep Blue Som...can't even stay awake through their awful name. That chorus, which is just a mash of words with no flow or rhyme or point, is the second lowest point of music. The fact people bought it is the worst.

Anyway anything Texas did after 1997 must be on this list. Especially that one they nicked off the 'welcome' tone on Windows and Marvin Gaye. Spitorswallee claims she plays a Telecaster because of Joe Strummer. Have you heard any Telecaster on these sub-Dido dirges? Mince. PET MINCE. In a bin.

Comment

Two more that I'd like to add, the names of which I can't actually remember, from a few years back, one has the chorus 'why you gotta be so rude?' and the other is by John Legend, I think, and has the line 'all your perfect imperfections'.

A quick google (don't know why I didn't do that initially) reveals that the songs are 'Rude' by Magic, and 'All of Me' by John Legend. Rude, in particular, is the sort of thing that I will line people up against a wall for, when I seize power. The band, producers, record company, anyone who bought it.
                                            Last edited by ooh aah; 21-05-2018, 09:23.

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
                                              You're The Voice by John Farnham is the song that makes me want to take a putter to my own shins. The "Wo-oh-oh"s are the worst, of course.
                                              Remember the Cadbury's chocolate ad with the gorilla on drums playing In The Air Tonight? Not in Australia, oh no. Not when we have a ready made Johnny Farnham "classic" on hand.

Comment

Working...
                                              X