The Big Gig Thread: 2014 edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I managed to jump in on Gruff Rhys's Soho jaunt. Now glad that I tussled with a small phone and hotel wifi rather than waiting until I got home to book.

The power point presentation could be, erm, interesting. Much as I love the man, public speaking has never been topmost among his many gifts.

Perversely, imp's review of The Melodic fired my curiosity enough to look them up. He may have been slightly generous above.

Comment

Shit the bed, that was the best Cure gig for years.

Comment

Benjm wrote:
        Perversely, imp's review of The Melodic fired my curiosity enough to look them up. He may have been slightly generous above.
        The latest MOJO gives their album an improbable three stars. Note to self: Never, ever read MOJO again.

Comment

Kraftwerk in 3D tonight.

Comment

Wow, were the Germans on their game tonight.

First, the 3D thing was a hoot. Old-school blue and red glasses making you go "oooo" at things popping out of the massive screen. Good fun.

But the real joy was in how loose they were. Clearly four guys playing four separate keypads, not just pressing 'play'. Lots of off-the-script direction and improvs. Autobahn in particular featured a 'where did that come from' jam at the end that lasted another three or four minutes.

Great variety of tracks, from Geiger Counter and Spacelab up to TDF Soundtracks stuff. No communication with the audience, of course, but a lovely hand-on-the-heart thank you from Ralf. They even did a two-song encore and a girl rushed the stage to hug Ralf. Very surreal. All around good night.

Comment

If it's sunday it must be Montreal. They did two shows here today, caught the late one. They opened with Metropolis, which also was the name of the venue.

Comment

And then?

Comment

...New York, followed by D.C.

Comment

British Sea Power at Koko last night were superb. When they can be bothered, and the crowd are lively enough, they really are fucking good. Best i've seen them in some while. Good mix of songs, only a couple off 'Machineries of Joy'. Started with the instrumental 'Heavenly Waters' and added 'The Great Skua' for good measure. Lovely to hear 'Zeus' and 'It Ended on an Oily Stage', and excellent encore featuring 'Spirit of St. Louis' and 'No Lucifer'.

Support from East India Youth which was brief but good. Certainly better to see him on stage than just listen to the record.

Comment

Aye - I thought they were on top form at Koko...as they were the night after in Northampton. It seems the break might have done them good. The Great Skua is always absolutely stunning to hear live.

Comment

And they were excellent in Sheffield on the Saturday evening too. Thoroughly enjoyable evening and as Rob rightly says, a good mix of songs from all 4 main albums.

Comment

Saw Neutral Milk Hotel at the Fox in Oakland on Thursday night. Last minute thing as the Mrs. is into them. Were supported by Elf Patrol who were fine, of the same sort of genre as Yo La Tengo, though their music didn't do much for me.

The first track NMH played quickened up for the chorus and the people around me started dancing in what appeared to be imitations of chickens hot-stepping. They were soon moshing. To me, it seemed barely foot-tapping inducing and from that moment on I realised that these weren't my people, that we had nothing in common, and despite NMH being talented musicians, their music wasn't for me. It was fine, though. And the Mrs seemed happy.

Comment

I think I may well go to this on Friday:

https://www.facebook.com/events/1415530298702591

Super Girl And Romantic Boys - Polish lo-fi Electropunk ...in Tottenham - something I never thought I'd see!

Comment

i just got back from seeing Umberto at the Courtyard Theatre. It was a weird one!

Basically, the organisers were totally over-ambitious with the number of acts they put on: five in total, with three before Umberto (who was the headline act) and one after. Because of this, Umberto was made to cut his set short after just four tracks! The four he played were excellent, fortunately. Also fortunate was that this was just one date on a small tour over here, otherwise he would probably have been even more pissed off than he was, if he'd come all the way from L.A. for that.

Fortunately, it only cost me £5 (and one of the support bands - Raagnagrok - were quite good too, otherwise I would have been a bit peeved!

Comment

EELS gig is coming up in July

Mr Everett is doing a mad world tour of like a concert every night for 2 months

http://eelstheband.com/tourdates/

Comment

Stunning production of The Magic Flute at the Kennedy Center last night - visually more than musically, it has to be said, as it's not one of WAM's greatest operas in terms of pure tunes. It's always a mild surprise to be reminded that opera was often meant to be a bit of slapstick fun back in the day - this English translation was funny as hell, with references to tweeting and arts funding thrown in to the mix. Here are a few pics of the production.

Last time I saw Eels, Mark E was thrashing around with a band trying to be young, but mainly being loud and obnoxious, and then slagging off the audience for not giving them due respect, so he can fuck off this time. His new album takes navel-gazing to dangerous levels of arse-self-fuckery, admitting he's been a twat down the years and he'll try to do better, but personally I've long since lost interest. Not sure why I bought it - same whiney songs in the same 'wrote-this-in-five-minutes' style. He should listen to some Sun Kil Moon, admit defeat and retire. And try to be nicer to his girlfriends, but without bothering to let us know how it goes.

Comment

Gruff Rhys was in great form at the Soho Theatre last night. The American Interior presentation was highly entertaining and fairly minimal solo instrumentation (guitar, metronome, record player, other odds and ends) showcased what fine voice he was in. Strong song selection from across his solo albums.

Saw Sleaford Mods the other week. Catchy tunes and entertaining, but sweary, lyrics. They had a strong presence but were helped by the tiny venue (12 Bar Club). I'm not sure how they will translate to larger rooms. It's hard to see them going down the Pet Shop Boys route with dancers dressed as giant McFlurries. Shame, really.

Comment

BSP are great live - strangely at Norwich last year a woman spent the whole gig with her fingers in her ears, but dance to just about everything.

Comment

Act: Mary Gauthier
                                        Venue: Jammin' Java, Vienna, VA - tickets still available on the night
                                        Ticket: $27 including 'service fees'
                                        Support: None - always my favourite support act.
                                        Pre-gig: driving, so it was just a couple of Fat Tires all night.
                                        Audience annoyance: There were signs up requesting no talking during the performance, so absolutely no annoyance at all. While this seems draconian, it was in an intimate setting for a solo acoustic act, thus entirely justified. Minimal camera activity, and no flashes allowed.
                                        Performance: "They had to create a new category for me just so I could win Gay Country Act of the Year", according to Gauthier, who freely admitted that she's not an unhappy person, but when she sits down to write songs, misery inspires and overwhelms her. "Happy songs make me want to kill myself," she said, and entertained us with much wit and her immense, intense songs which were only country-tinged, and definitely lean more towards folk-Americana. Played for almost two hours, then went to staff her own merch stand. Outstanding from first song to last.

Comment

Well, I went to Slowdive, the other day, and it was excellent. I even felt quite euphoric toward the end!

The venue (Village Underground) wasn't really big enough and ended up horribly packed, as is usual these days, but I managed to get a decent vantage point at the very back. The sound was great, though: loud enough to give that 'wall of noise' distorted guitar sound but not quite loud enough to force me to put my earplugs in. (Equally importantly, it was loud enough to drown out the obligatory nearby 'I only bothered coming so I could say I was here' people who were talking the whole way through.)

They still seem far too meek and nice to be pop stars, though - which is part of the reason so many people hate them, I think.

Anyway - a great evening. I'd go again (though preferably with them in a slightly bigger venue).

Comment

Wreckless Eric in Edinburgh on Tuesday, unfortunately Kid Congo Powers is on the same night in a different room at the same venue.

Comment

Ooh, Kid Congo Powers is in London next Thursday. Worth a run out, do you reckon, RobM?

Shame that The Julie Ruin on Thursday was cancelled due to Kathleen Hanna suffering a relapse of Lyme Disease. Here's hoping for a swift recovery.

Ten days until Giuda and counting...

Comment

Decided, on something of a whim, to go and see Evil Blizzard tomorrow. Their line up appears to be four bass guitars and a drummer, with a strong, if slightly Slipknotty, visual presence.

It should be different, at the very least.

Comment

RM Hubbert tomorrow night at The Tollbooth in Stirling. Post rock acoustic action, a bit Arab Strap with a Spanish flavour.

Comment

BenJô wrote: Ooh, Kid Congo Powers is in London next Thursday. Worth a run out, do you reckon, RobM?

Shame that The Julie Ruin on Thursday was cancelled due to Kathleen Hanna suffering a relapse of Lyme Disease. Here's hoping for a swift recovery.

Ten days until Giuda and counting...
                                                    Caught the last half hour of Kid's set by dint of the promoter happily allowing folk in after the Eric gig.

Pretty jaw dropping stuff, relentless delivery. I'd thoroughly recommend it mate, wished I could have caught the whole set.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X