New Songs You Like In 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's a track from the new Dawn Landes album, Bluebird.

Her first two albums, I loved. This third one, after two listens, has me giddy, but be warned - I am a hopeless fool for top draw US female singer-songwriters. Right now I'm listening endlessly to Laura Veirs and Alela Diane.

Comment

I am a hopeless fool for top draw US female singer-songwriters.

You too eh?

Here's a track from Marissa Nadler's July. (Released in February. I guess they didn't want to wait.)

Drive.

Comment

Free Swim have a new track that consists of one of the worst puns ever, but it gallops along like a Grade One sprint champion.

It's on soundcloud, called You Get Out What You Putin. Now I just need to make out the lyrics to work out what point they're making.

Comment

IronSeaPower wrote: I'm liking these an'all

Go on - fill yer boots dalliance
          (best put one of these in... ;-) y'know)
          Thanks very much ISP. I wonder why I've not heard of these before. They had an album out late last year which you can stream and download at their bandcamp site. They have a new EP out too which is also there.

This is a great thread. I am sure I am not alone in checking out every single recommendation, and plenty get added to playlists from this quarter.

Comment

Sólido-Liquido is a notably well-produced slice of Spanish-language powerpop courtesy of Sundae, here.

Comment

Pet Shop Boys' Oppressive Dance mix of Panti Bliss' impassioned gay rights speech The Best Gay Possible is here.

Comment

Black Classical's mini-album of gloomy hauntological piano vignettes, A Church Is A Hospital For Sinners Not A Museum For Saints, is here.

Comment

off-topic, i notice imp wrote "top draw" above - i always thought the phrase was "top drawer", with some vague implication that the, er, best stuff would be found in the top drawer of the chest of drawers. admittedly this doesn't hold true of my own chest of drawers, unless you really like socks. "top draw" in this context might make more sense, as in artists who draw a lot of people to their performances. have i been mishearing "top draw" all my life?

Comment

Furtho wrote: Less positively, having watched just that one little Joan As Police Woman clip that steveeeeeeeee posted, I now can't get away from her ads and trailers on Youtube.
                    She's been all over the broadsheet supplements for a week or two, as well.

Comment

I always thought it was top drawer, too, garcia.

Though top draw makes sense, too, as imp used it.

Comment

Furtho wrote: Black Classical's mini-album of gloomy hauntological piano vignettes, A Church Is A Hospital For Sinners Not A Museum For Saints, is here.
                        Thanks for that Furtho.

Comment

Er, yes, of course I meant 'top draw' as a clever pun, not a homophone at all.

Comment

The Champs LP it's absolutely wonderful. "Too Bright to Shine", "Pretty Much (Last November)", and "I C Sky" are highlights (admittedly the slowest tracks on there). The only links I can find are for the singles, which are oddly the weakest things on there. That said, one sounds like a mid-'80s Roy Orbison track, which is no bad thing.

Comment

MMA fighter turned uber-choreographed J-pop king Genki Sudo is back with a new video based on a trip to Akihabara, complete with lunch at a maid café before a concert by every otaku's favourites AKB48. It's pretty majestic and it's here.

Comment

Whimsical but experimental, a charming short album by The Form Group (aka Matt Ashton of London indie types The Leaf Library) dedicated to the mysteries of number stations is here.

Comment

The new Liars album, Mess, is typically good. Here's a couple of the highlights:

Pro Anti Anti

Can't Hear Well

Comment

Just been listening to it in the car. WIXIW didn't quite click for me, but this one really hits the spot.

Funny how guitar bands can suddenly come up with some of the best dancey electro stuff around - cf Radiohead & Idioteque

Comment

Liars have dabbled in this area for a while really, ever since they got the witch trial stuff out of their system. Houseclouds and Proud Evolution are a couple of the best examples with the former, I think, from back in 2007.

Comment

I'm soaking in Lydia Loveless's new album Somewhere Else at the mo. Here she is with Head. And for old time's sake a great live version of Back on the Bottle.

I also find I Heard You Singing off the new EP by The People's Temple weirdly compelling. It's kinda like The Drifters with some sort of looped tribal chanting in the background.

Comment

AdC - meant to thank you for the Marissa Nadler link. Have bought 'July' and am loving it on first listen. I suspect it may even be another league above the likes of Dawn Landes.

Comment

I'm enjoying the Ages and Ages album. A lot of "that sounds a bit like like..." moments, but great all the same.

The War on Drugs album has also been receiving a lot of play-time. Eye to the Wind is a particular favourite.

Comment

Not that it needs any more hype, but I do dig the new Future Islands album, Singles.

Comment

With the news of Letterman's upcoming retirement, I wonder if Future Islands have inspired him to go off and start a band.

Comment

imp wrote: AdC - meant to thank you for the Marissa Nadler link. Have bought 'July' and am loving it on first listen. I suspect it may even be another league above the likes of Dawn Landes.
                                                  Yes, after marking time for a couple of albums it sounds as though she's found a mature voice.

Meanwhile, not a huge hip hop but I've been bopping to this all week:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0jq7jIa34Y

Comment

Sun Kil Moon's confessional, beautiful, moving 'I Watched the Film The Song Remains The Same', from his latest album Benji. The album is pretty much an extended meditation on death and loss, a sort of talking Americana blues.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X