New Songs You Like In 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I get the impression that 2014 is going to be one of the finest years in music for some time, defintely the best of this century so far. The amount of seriously great singles to come out this year so far is really impressive.

An amazing song like "Love Letters" by Metronomy seems to be the norm this year.

"Holy City" by Joan as Police Woman is another great track.

I'd also agree, Beck's album is superb and The War on Drugs's new stuff has made a huge leap in quality.

Comment

And I forget to mention the new Real Estate song, "Talking Backwards" - my god, I love that band.

Comment

Esben and the Witch are a band I have bypassed before, under the misapprehension that they were probably like All About Eve, given that band name.

So, on hearing their new track 'No Dog' (part of a split LP with another new band to me called Thought Forms), I was most than pleasantly surprised. You can hear No Dog streamed via Stereogum here.

Comment

The new Sun Kill Moon album is wonderful. I've carried it around with me all week, and it has been the best companion.

Jim Wise

Comment

steveeeeeeeee wrote: I get the impression that 2014 is going to be one of the finest years in music for some time, defintely the best of this century so far. The amount of seriously great singles to come out this year so far is really impressive.

An amazing song like "Love Letters" by Metronomy seems to be the norm this year.

"Holy City" by Joan as Police Woman is another great track.

I'd also agree, Beck's album is superb and The War on Drugs's new stuff has made a huge leap in quality.
            ha- I agree with nearly all of this. Specifically, the The war on Drugs: I thought they were a spent spunk-your-load-early force, but there new single is superb.

Comment

Haven't heard their new album but I doubt they'll ever match the giddy heights of Show Me the Coast again.

Comment

Described at therevue.ca as "blues-influenced grunge project", Slothrust can be heard at their soundcloud site. Magnets Part 2 is the linked track, and the rest of the album can be heard if you continue to listen on.

Comment

Future Islands have made it to a big label, and their album comes out in a few weeks.

Seasons (Waiting On You)

Comment

not actually 2014 but i only came across it recently

the avener - fade out lines

Comment

That's a nice song but the video makes me want to punch something

Comment

Not new exactly — they've been performing it together for the past few years — but Bruce Springsteen & Tom Morello's version of The Ghost of Tom Joad is on High Hopes. Re-recordings don't often work well IMHO, but this one absolutely does.

(Seriously naff album cover though.)

Comment

Springsteen opened one of his NZ shows the other day with a cover of Lorde's Royals. Very neat. The video's around online.

Comment

To echo steve, I've had a few listens to the new Real Estate album, and it is so. fucking. good. (and I Hofzinsered them! http://www.wsc.co.uk/forum-index/29-music/326203-real-estate-the-band#326203)

"Past Lives"

Comment

I like to hear people's recommendations on this thread even if I don't go for the tracks themselves, but thumbs up for Damien Jurado and Real Estate.

Comment

Furtho wrote: I like to hear people's recommendations on this thread even if I don't go for the tracks themselves, but thumbs up for Damien Jurado and Real Estate.
                                Yeah, the Damien Jurado album is superb. Whomever's playing bass on it does a fantastic job, too.

Comment

Less positively, having watched just that one little Joan As Police Woman clip that steveeeeeeeee posted, I now can't get away from her ads and trailers on Youtube.

Comment

Oooh, will have to listen to the new Real Estate.

Also, the full St. Vincent album is out and I dig it.

Comment

I'm liking that new LP by Eagulls.

Comment

This is fun:

Tied Up In Nottz - Sleaford Mods

It is quite sweary though, so not office/child/grandmother friendly.

Comment

I'm liking that new LP by Eagulls.
                                          Read decent reviews of this but absolutely hated it myself. Sounded like a terrible Siouxsie and the Banshees tribute band with a male lead singer trying to impersonate the lady herself, really badly.

Comment

I'm liking these an'all

Go on - fill yer boots dalliance
                                            (best put one of these in... ;-) y'know)

Comment

Motorpsycho - Kvaestor

Comment

I just got this from reddit, a band called Boy with a song called Little Numbers.

Apparently, this is a video of their first live performance in America. The audience start singing the words to the song back at them. Their reaction is quite charming.

I don't normally do this singer songwritery type stuff and it feels and looks a bit hipstery, but after one listen the song is pretty good.

Comment

The lead singer looks exactly like girl I used to step out with. Uncannily so. I wasn't expecting that of a Sunday afternoon. Luckily she had the common decency to call the whole thing off. I doubt she wrote a song about it, though. Maybe a cello-heavy Wangerian cycle.*

*that makes it sound terrible. It wasn't. I just gave my life to hot-air ballooning.**

**I didn't. We did drift apart, however.

Comment

Go on - fill yer boots dalliance
                                                    (best put one of these in... ;-) y'know)
                                                    That's better but they are aping Pissed Jeans just a tad too much.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X