Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red pinstripes on white

Comment

Terry Ince — our coal delivery bloke bloke back in the 50s — played centre-forward for Stevenage. I hope he's in a place where he doesn't have to see what they've done to his kit.

Comment

Two from Tranmere Rovers. First, the standard mascot scene ...

Then the Poppy takes the field: wait for the zoom-in at about 15 seconds:

Comment

That's some rapid zoom action from the cameraman there.

Comment

Who thought it was anything other than utterly ridiculous to dress someone up in a mascot-style poppy outfit and trot them onto the pitch for the minute's silence?

Genuinely, I can imagine seeing that in a video from 20+ years ago, but only in the context of a TV sketch show or similar.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
              Indeed it was - almost as if he was checking up on everyone.

Comment

They're holding hands! Wonderful.

Comment

Was watching Crewe v Lincoln via iFollow on Saturday, and showed my family the Crewe mascot standing there for the minute's silence, head bowed. They laughed. Then my daughter said, "Obviously there's someone like you working at the club who thought it would be a really funny idea to make the mascot go out there and stand with the team." Er no, I said - dozens of football clubs up and down the country will be doing exactly the same today, and have been doing it for years. The laughter quickly mutated into incredulity and questions about what the fuck is wrong with Britain right now. Not a question I'm equipped to answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                    Who thought it was anything other than utterly ridiculous to dress someone up in a mascot-style poppy outfit and trot them onto the pitch for the minute's silence?
                    Genuinely, I can imagine seeing that in a video from 20+ years ago, but only in the context of a TV sketch show or similar.
                    Holy shit, yes who in their tiny mind thought it was the most respectful, sober and serious thing for Remembrance Day to have an ambulatory, squashy six foot poppy-mascot-thing waddle onto the pitch holding hands (leaves? sepals?) with a fat bloke in a cap for the minute's silence. Its eye-slit makes it look like a mutant postbox, apart from anything, like some particularly ill-regarded 1970s Doctor Who monster.

What a fine concentrated exemplar of this thread's continuing raison d'être that video is, though. It's a crying shame that only one of the teams has brought their own mascot to the centre circle, it would be pure distilled magnificence/horror if there were two of them and the poppy.

Thanks to ursus for explaining the Stevenage pinstripes, meanwhile. Again, could no-one really see what it was going to look like?

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                      Originally posted by HORN View Post
                      Indeed it was - almost as if he was checking up on everyone.
                      In cinematography it's known as the "WHAT THE FUCK?!" shot.

Comment

Just to say I saw a Christmas tree bedecked in poppies and a 'Lest we forget' sign at the Harvester* this evening.

*I anticipate some lame mockery for this

Comment

Here's the Wimbledon/Peterborough combo mentioned upthread:

Comment

Christ, it’s even worse than I remember it looking from my angle in the stadium, is it from the TV footage?

It would be as funny as the rest of the thread if the guy in black holding a wreath wasn’t there to honour his dead son and having to put up with all that nonsense in front of him.

Comment

A close-up of Cheltenham's Robin from previous page:

Comment

In the spirit perhaps of this thread, if not exactly relevant, I've just stumbled across the below article posted today on the BBC website:

"Confessions of a football mascot – Fights, funerals and furry heads: Lifting the lid on the lives of English football's mascots"

Comment

Walsall brought their own mascot to the game against Shrewsbury today. Not seen that done before.

He was better behaved than some of the fans who were punching each other.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                    In cinematography it's known as the "WHAT THE FUCK?!" shot.
                                    What I was a cameraman, it was my trademark shot apart from the last couple of milliseconds when I slowed down having realised that I would make the viewer nauseous.

Comment

Would anyone like a copy of Mascots- Football's Furry Friends by Rick Minter? I've just discovered I have 2 copies. It has all the English league clubs c.2004, some Scottish, some non league and a feature on Yorkie the Lion from York. Lots of full colour photos throughout.

No charge. First come, first served.

Comment

It's got a pic of BDG's Herbie the Hammer in it. Upward eyes an all.

Comment

https://twitter.com/holyroodliam/status/977602077634498567?s=21

Comment

Genius.

Loving the giant Irn Bru cans as well.

Comment

Slightly related. Bath City, for ridiculously obscure reasons, have got a pig mascot. Many of us wanted community ownership purely to get the pig changed to a Roman or something more relevant (and less pathetic looking). Now, I temporarily have the pig costume in my house. Do I don the costume to carry out a spate of crimes and misdemeanours to besmirch the pig's PR value and get it replaced?

Comment

There's only one answer to that, isn't there?

Comment

https://twitter.com/mattwilson_star/status/1025736832967946241

Comment

Why does that poppy have a USB port?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X