No announcement yet.

Mascots observing minutes silences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haha, good question. As I said at time, to my eye the slot makes it look like a deformed postbox. One painted by Salvador Dali, perhaps.

Comment

Had an odd situation last week where I was asked by the club if I wanted to be our ridiculous mascot which i hate. I was in possession of the mascot for a while in the close season and somewhat sullied the its myth by donning his head while wearing a Wales kit and flicking the Vs the night before the England Sweden game and, also, putting his head on in the car park after my uncle's funeral for the amusement of my close family. Crucially, evidence has never made it public (although there is a picture of me in the Wales kit that may appear when he is no longer the mascot). I have to say that, previous to community ownership of the club, no-one even knew who the mascot was except a very small group of people. Even when I joined the Supporters' Society Committee that, to an extent, run the club, the mascot's identity was the one thing, aside form the players' wages, that I never knew about the club. Anyway, nowadays caution has been thrown to the wind and anyone, apparently, can be Bladud although it an't be advertised on social media.

Anyway, considering my dislike of the mascot and the temperature last Saturday, I demurred: I genuinely had some pre-match duties to do. I was then asked if my 18 year old son wanted to do it. The best answer this would have got from Bored Jr is a sucking of teeth followed by a tut. However, I thought my mate's 17 year old son may be less cynical. I messaged my mate and he replied "He thinks he's working. Is there any payment? I confirmed that there wasn't to which he replied, "He's definitely working." I thought no more about it until I got a phone call form the same mate.

"So what's the deal?"
      "The deal with what?"
      "The mascot thing?"
      "What? Why?"
      "I may as well do it"?

This is an over 40 year old father of two. Anyway, I informed him that I had no idea of the routine as far as the mascot's duties are concerned so I passed on the number of the club. Apparently, he got an answer of "The usual" as to what he should be doing. Of course, he had no idea what this meant either.

I got to the match early for my pre-match duties and the guy that was supposed to being to helping me with them said that he couldn't as his son was being the mascot. I thought this odd but assumed my mate had seen the error of his says and pulled out. Anyway, when I get into the ground, I see the son and he is walking around in plain clothes with his girlfriend. I mouthed to him "Aren't you supposed to be...?" and he said that he had done it for 15 minutes pre-match and he couldn't do any more as it was too hot but he wasn't doing the second half, someone else was (apparently, this is common practice). Sure enough, my mate turns up at half time and confirms that he is doing it second half.

Cue an absolutely hilarious display where my mate wandered around for the whole of the second half looking like the most despondent mascot ever. I noticed for the brief period that I wore the head that the wearer's eyes are equidistant between the open mouth and the open eyes of the head. This leads to the inexperienced wearer spending the whole time walking around with the mascot's head looking down in a dejected manner all the time. The regular wearer incredibly can take penalties and do press-ups. My mate found it hard enough to walk around without stepping on children. I also know from wearing the head that, even after 2 minutes, the smell of stale sweat and damp sticks to you long-term. Goodness knows what wearing the whole costume for 45 minutes on the hottest day of the year does to you. Also, he did have the issue of his so-called friends who knew who it was taking much more interest in the mascot than they would ever normally take. He did well to do a sneaky flick of the Vs and proffering his arse Robbie Fowler-esque at m...erm, his piss-taking mates.

Anyway, the relevance to this thread is that I am now wondering if I can gain the Holy Grail and, using the current laxity of mascot inhabitants, volunteer for mascot duties on the Remembrance Sunday match.

Comment

Outstanding. And, yes, please Bored, do it for OTF. We'll love you for ever.

Comment

Anyone else looking forward to West Brom v Leeds and the Baggies' Combi-boiler tribute over Remembrance weekend?

Comment

Originally posted by The Bretwalda View Post
            Anyone else looking forward to West Brom v Leeds and the Baggies' Combi-boiler tribute over Remembrance weekend?
            I became slightly obsessed with Baggieboiler over the weekend. I'm following him on Twitter now.

Comment

and, also, putting his head on in the car park after my uncle's funeral for the amusement of my close family.
              The fact that you brought it with you in the car kind of leaps out there. Were you... toying with the idea of wearing it during the ceremony?

(Obviously no disrespect intended to your uncle, and your family's loss)

Comment

It would probably have been more suitable than what he did wear.

Comment

It must have happened, a fully suited mascot at a funeral. "It's what he would have wanted".

Comment

Originally posted by N est à? View Post
                    It must have happened, a fully suited mascot at a funeral. "It's what he would have wanted".
                    A quick Google Search says yes, albeit in Rugby League.

Comment

Do you think mascots have special eyes (or even heads) for these solemn occasions?

Comment

I'd have thought the biggest hazard to wearing a pig mascot outfit would be David Cameron try to fuck you in the mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by N est à? View Post
                          The fact that you brought it with you in the car kind of leaps out there. Were you... toying with the idea of wearing it during the ceremony?

(Obviously no disrespect intended to your uncle, and your family's loss)
                          No, it was in the car as I needed to drop off all the gubbins I needed for the club's presence at the school fete (including the, quiet frankly, unasked-for pig mascot) the day after. When I picked it up, I put it in the front room and, as my wife walked in the front door, had to sprint to warn her that there was a disembodied pig's head there and it wasn't for some sort of cartoon Godfather-style revenge warning. Anyway, when I saw it, I had to put it on. It was definitely in the spirit of my family and especially my uncle who would have pissed himself at the sight. His widow, not so much, so I had to be careful that she had left the golf club car park.

Comment

Originally posted by Uroš Predić View Post
                            A quick Google Search says yes, albeit in Rugby League.

Now, hold on a minute. They are called the Centurions, similar to Bath City being called the Romans, and they have a bloody pig mascot as well. What is wrong with the world?

Comment

Some Roman Legions had a boar as a mascot? I know the Legion based in Chester did.

We had Lenny the Lion turn up as a special guest at my Dad's 60th birthday party.

Comment

Comment

I've noticed in the last two kicker pre-season specials that a lot of German clubs include the mascots in the team photos, which I approve of.

Comment

Originally posted by sw2borshch View Post
                                    I've noticed in the last two kicker pre-season specials that a lot of German clubs include the mascots in the team photos, which I approve of.
                                    This is the thread. A few dead links now, but still plenty of mascot-in-Mannschaft.

Comment

I even posted on that thread, it turns out.

Comment

Bored, surely you know why Bath City have a pig as a mascot, don't you? I mean, I do, without having to look it up.

It has just this second occurred to me that if I am able to attend a Bath City match with you when I'm over later in the year ... it might very well be the Remembrance Sunday one. That's the one weekend of my stay I don't currently have anything booked on. Please make this happen.

Comment

Oh yes, fully aware. In the words of Stiff Little Fingers, doesn't make it alright

Comment

Fame for Toby Tyke
                                            https://twitter.com/BarnsleyFC/statu...178697728?s=19

https://twitter.com/BarnsleyFC/status/1030580617178697728?s=19

Comment

He's wearing goalie gloves. Copout.

Comment

Not an ideal photo, but here are Sparkee and Slider from the Somerset Patriots (independent league baseball) observing the anniversary of 9/11

Comment

Something from Polish speedway :

Comment

That's marvellous.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X