Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Come On Sinead, kick her fucking head in.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As this was the last thread, as far as I know, concerned (in both senses of the word) with Sinead O'Connor, I thought I would share that Mrs Bored was watching a recent video clip of her (O'connor not Mrs Bored) ranting at length. I could not see it but I could hear it and, after a couple of minutes, asked for her to turn it off as I found it genuinely disturbing and O'connor seemed genuinely disturbed. I am not sure what it was about but I don't think she is in a better place right now. There was a lot about her children being taken into care.

Comment

I saw this a few days ago. It really is painful to watch, but here it is, if you're really interested. I only made it about half-way through, once it became clear she was pretty much only repeating herself. Poor fucker. Someone really does need to go and fetch her out of there and back into an environment where she knows she's being cared for, to some degree. It's difficult dealing with people who are bipolar, but I'm sure there's people somewhere who are professionally trained to deal with it, as carers, who could help her.

Comment

Hopefully it will raise awareness of how our society treats its mentally ill, even the famous ones. She was born in the wrong place at the wrong time for someone with her sensitivity and fragility. I wish her well and hope that someone can save her, without her spending the rest of her life in an institution. The USA has to be the wrong place, though, as it often throws its traumatized victims on to the street.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
          Hopefully it will raise awareness of how our society treats its mentally ill, even the famous ones.
          I doubt it. She will be treated as a 21st century freakshow in the same way as Paul Gasciogne is.

Comment

Certainly to a degree she will be given the Alex Higgins or Amy Winehouse treatment, to name other parallels. But I want to believe that each of these cases opens a few eyes and spreads some compassion, even if the cases are beyond saving individually. A slow road to civilization.

Comment

You are a much more optimistic person than I.

I actually think that non-famous people with mental illness that people meet on a day-to-day basis probably elicit more empathy. Celebrities are so distant, different and 'other' to most people that any mental illness seems to be part and parcel of that 'otherness'. People find it hard to relate celebrities anyway so trying to relate to celebrities with mental illnesses is even harder.

Comment

That 'distance' will almost certainly merely elicit the same "they're all on drugs / pissed" response (for Sinead) from the 'gogglebox' public as elite sportsmen do.

Comment

Is this the official Sinead O'Connor thread? It may need a slight change to the title.

Comment

If it gives her some kind of peace, good luck to her. But it depends on whether it's a sincere conversion or appeal for attention.

Comment

Possibly both, but I’m just relieved to see her looking Ok after last year’s breakdowns.

She obviously believes in God and wants some sort of structure to her life. Maybe getting a wee kick out of pissing people off.

Comment

I can imagine the ritual of praying several times a day can be soothing. It imposes an order (of sorts) on life and makes you concentrate on something external to your self.

(It could also become a source of stress if you need to keep God placated and something stops you from performing the ritual.)

Comment

Interestingly, a friend of Bored Jr's who went inside has, upon his release, converted to Islam, given up drugs and booze and goes to the local mosque. Still hasn't kicked the fags though.

Comment

It's quite difficult for non-believers to put themselves into the head space of those who are inclined to faith. Whenever another horror leaks out of the RC Church, I think why on earth would anyone continue to give them their spiritual business. But all I'm withdrawing is a very loose social affiliation. For people with faith it is an enormous, often impossible wrench to turn away from it. Likewise, for those who have that need but are still looking for a way of fulfilling it that works for them, it is very difficult to just make that yearning stop.

Comment

Working...
                            X