Gogglebox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gogglebox

I bloody love it, so glad it's back for a 2nd series, which - though I was worried that the participants would become too self-conscious or showy (it's only the posh couple that seem to be doing so, hamming up their drinking) - is as good as the first.

The premise isn't great - we watch people watching telly - but I don't watch telly with friends/family much, so I'm enjoying seeing how these people react to what's on. And some of their reactions are very funny - last week, before the intro theme tune, it flashed up 'And now, a Party Political Broadcast by the Leader of the Lib Dems', and cut straight to some guy moaning 'OK, let's see what this dick's got to say' - and very moving.

(Though I saw one of the lads in it on Brighton Beach a few weeks back, and got into a whole 'I'm watching you who I watch on telly while you watch telly' thing, most disturbing...)

Gogglebox is great, far more sympathetic and likeable than I had anticipated. Tonight they showed a compilation of the year’s highlights, which was most entertaining, although I was surprised that no reference was made to one of the characters, Leon, having passed away in the last few days.

Comment

Yes, me and the wife like it as well. It is the manner in which i catch up with all popular TV.

Comment

They had a spot dedicating the show to Leon before the show started, then the first clip was him nicking some Xmas sweets before wrapping them up for a present.

Comment

Originally posted by johnr View Post
          They had a spot dedicating the show to Leon before the show started, then the first clip was him nicking some Xmas sweets before wrapping them up for a present.
          Ah, OK, I saw the sweet-nicking but not the bit before that.

Comment

Everything I know about Strictly or X Factor I know from Gogglebox.

Comment

We get most of our TV news this way too.

RIP Leon, you'll be missed as a genuine voice and character.

Comment

Absolutely same here. (To PT)

The best episode ever was the one where they were watching the Grand National, as the reactions were priceless, and then at the end of that episode they watched the Bafta awards show, and won, and all went nuts.

Comment

Yep, Gogglebox is great. Simple, engaging, funny telly that puts 'normal' people on the telly without poking them with sticks.

Comment

I wish more people watched Gogglebox. It really is Diverse Modern Britain Illustrated without over-working the point. As with Big Brother, it could become spoilt by self-promoting or self-conscious participants but that hasn't really happened yet.

I used to like the drunk posh couple but they did get a bit much.

I'm glad they all watched Guy Fawkes so I didn't have to.

And yes, sad about Leon.

Comment

I don't think there's anyone on Gogglebox I wouldn't go for a pint (or a cup of tea) with.

Comment

The Brighton dad who once stood for Ukip is somebody I wouldn't like to have a cup of tea with, which is sad as he's often at the cafe that I go to. He's the dad of the lad I mentioned upthread 3(!) years ago. The latter is a Corbyn supporter, but I don't think I could have a cup of tea with him either, seems a bit shouty. I want to sit with the Malones, and their dogs. And the Siddiquis.

Comment

The Siddiquis are ace. I enjoy the posh couple's jibing too. Though the probably ham it up a little.

Comment

Working...
                          X