Broadchurch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broadchurch

I tried my best to search through the site and perhaps the search engine has failed again (although I did use the Google advanced search as well, which usually works well), so perhaps this show has been discussed on here before. It just finished airing on BBC America, and despite the piss poor judgement of the network to edit each episode to fit more commercials rather than adding 10 minutes to the broadcast, I was really engrossed by this story. Yeah, the first episode seemed to mirror the Dutch version of The Killing (season 1), but I thought the brilliant cinematic qualities and storyline worked well together. I'll try to avoid spoilers, but wanted to point out that the 3+ minutes of music/ambient sound during the last episode where David Tennant's character is following a cell signal was truly great stuff.

Broadchurch

Not seen it. But wasn't it an ITV series? I'm intrigued, then, as to why it's showing on BBC America. Can they do that?

Comment

Broadchurch

Jon wrote: Not seen it. But wasn't it an ITV series? I'm intrigued, then, as to why it's showing on BBC America. Can they do that?
      BBC America bought the territorial rights from ITV to show it in the US. I had read that it was still on the ITV equivalent of iPlayer but when I searched (after finding out how to spook an IP so I would look like I was in the UK) the ITV thing only showed rental options. Anyway, it's a good series. Eight episodes total, so not a major commitment, but long enough to develop the story and the characters.

Comment

Broadchurch

We've just finished both seasons and loved them both. S3 beings shooting next summer. Damn...long way off.

Comment

Broadchurch

General feeling in the UK - and certainly by me - is that Season 2 of Broadchurch was a real dud. The first season was decent enough but not as good as it was made out to be.

Comment

Broadchurch

God yes, the second season was laughable. Bad soap opera stuff full of overacting and characters behaving nonsensically, not to mention a rather fanciful version of police and legal procedure.

Comment

Broadchurch

Season 1, one of the best British series of recent years. Behind Wolf Hall and The Fall but there's no shame in that.

Series 2 some distance behind but still well watchable, certainly enough to look forward to S3.

Comment

Broadchurch

I couldn't get past episode 3 of season 2. It was a comedic how inept everyone was. Never came back and I'm onto other things.

Comment

Broadchurch

In the last episode, everyone seemed to get amnesia and forget the bad things the other characters had said and done to them. The preceding episodes had numerous implausible plot twists just for the sake of producing cliffhangers. You could argue that, in the first series, drama flowed from character, but in series 2 the characters were just clothes hangers for melodrama.

Worst example was the mother of the dead kid, who swings from grief-stricken hostility to everyday friendliness at the drop of a hat.

Comment

Broadchurch

Ha, that sounds like the first and second series of the Killing. It never came close to the power of that first series.

Comment

Broadchurch

Levin wrote: Ha, that sounds like the first and second series of the Killing. It never came close to the power of that first series.
                      There was a group of mini-series that came out in close succession that were all very similar: The Killing, Broadchurch, Missing (or maybe The Missing). All were good for 1 series but then dropped off. Missing only had one series (so far). True Detective kind of fit that mold as well. Season 2 was a letdown for that one as well.

Comment

Broadchurch

I've just (last week) finished series 2 as well, and thought it was enjoyable enough but yes, not as good as series 1. I wasn't too bothered by the nonsense bits as it reminded me rather a lot (right from the first episode of the first series) of Twin Peaks, which has its fair share of ridiculous shit as well.

Comment

Just started watching series 1 of this (in other news, have just discovered this pop group called "The Beatles" - check them out). So far I'm sort of enjoying it, apart from not really being able to get past the existence of a fictional town which is small enough that everybody knows each other, but big enough to have a massive police station with about 30 officers, and a thriving local newspaper.

Comment

I assumed it was a regional station. But I suppose that would be Exeter or Taunton. See, you've spoilt it now.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                              Just started watching series 1 of this (in other news, have just discovered this pop group called "The Beatles" - check them out). So far I'm sort of enjoying it, apart from not really being able to get past the existence of a fictional town which is small enough that everybody knows each other, but big enough to have a massive police station with about 30 officers, and a thriving local newspaper.
                              Haha. My daughter and I watched the first 3 or 4 seasons of Shetland on Netflix. After the second season, she said: "I really like this show, but I am having a hard time believing that a town this small has so many murders."

Comment

Ha. See, when I watched it I immediately recognised Broadchurch High Street as Hill Road in Clevedon (the cliffs are somewhere else entirely, in Devon I believe), which I used to go along a few times a week on evening bike rides from my village after school, and as such I always imagine Broadchurch as being about the size of Clevedon. Which is to say, probably still too small to have that sort of newspaper (in the twenty-first century, at least), but perhaps just big enough for the police station not to be ridiculously out of place.

But as I said before, I got a distinctly Twin Peaks vibe from it very early on, so I wasn't that bothered about the bits that didn't really make sense.

Comment

Worth noting that the cast are top bracket actors in the main, with a fair few prestigious credits before and since. It's the characterization that drags it down, where a character suddenly changes mood or perspective. Two women fall out over the murder of a child but next episode it's all hugs again.

Comment

Working...
                                  X