Only Connect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only Connect

How else will you know they are virginal nerds without the awkward banter?

Comment

Only Connect

If you like Only Connect, there's a chance you also like crosswords.

If you like Only Connect and you also like crosswords, I'm hoping you'll like this.

Comment

Only Connect

Not sure if it was the most recent episode or not but the one we played on iPlayer last night included a shout out to Portmanmoor Road in Splott where apparently they film it.

I like Victoria Coren Mitchell but her delivery of the banter and patter is terrible. Endearing but terrible.

Comment

Only Connect

I absolutely fucking *adore* VC-M. I have never read anything she's written, or watched any telly she's been on, without feeling a little bit better about the world after doing so. I loved her "For Richer For Poorer" poker autobiography, and I love her Observer columns. Her OC banter is OK, and sometimes much better than that.

Comment

Only Connect

It just seems completely wrong for it to be moved to Friday, breaking up the Quizzy Monday Golden Hour.

Comment

Only Connect

I sympathise. Not personally affected though as we always record it and watch it later, in fact usually several weeks later.

Comment

Only Connect

Diable Rouge wrote: It just seems completely wrong for it to be moved to Friday, breaking up the Quizzy Monday Golden Hour.
                Wot? When the fuck did that happen?

Comment

Only Connect

Started this week - moreover, the time of broadcast varied this week depending on which country of the UK or Ireland you're in, due to rugby.

Comment

Only Connect

Just... what??!!

I've watched the last couple of episodes on iPlayer so I wasn't aware of this scheduling travesty. However I did wonder why an episode was being shown late on Friday evening. It was on this afternoon (Saturday) as well, wasn't it?

I mean why break up the partnership with University Challenge?

Mad.

Anyway there's a little extra game I like to play when watching OC. I listen to the theme tune, of course, to get in the mood; then, like any sane person, I mute the volume before VCM has a chance to speak. Then, I have to lip-read her and try to toggle the sound back on the instant before she says "On my right..."

Try it. It's fun.

Comment

Only Connect

Was it just me or did anyone else think there were some terrible questions in this week's episode?

Questions about films one of which won't be released for another two years and a couple of other really tenuous ones.

I'm all for cryptic questions but surely there has to be a limit to the obscurity otherwise they're just impossible to anyone other than the setter.

Comment

Only Connect

tracteurgarçon wrote: Questions about films one of which won't be released for another two years
                        That one was particularly stupid, wasn't it.

Comment

Only Connect

Thirded. It was ridiculous that being able to answer that question depended on being able to name a hypothetical sequence of films.

And yes, it's patently bollocks that the programme has been moved from its happy home on Mondays as University Challenge's slightly warped and a touch unruly younger sibling, to a nothing Friday slot where it's allegedly and completely needlessly meant to be complementing QI instead.
                          Or, in Wales, Saturday, where it complements neither – Sport Wales kicks it out of even the Friday night slot that it has moved to in much of the rest of the UK, so it's 24 hours later again west of the Severn Bridge. At least, on regular BBC Two. The only small mercy is that it's still available in the Friday slot if you go to BBC Two HD.

Comment

Only Connect

Not overly impressed with Victoria Coren's comment on the (spoiler alert?) Martinique/Réunion/Brittany/Mayotte connecting group that they are administrative regions of France "even though only Brittany is actually in France, the others are abroad". Well no, by very definition they are all in France.

Comment

Only Connect

I wonder if the quality had dipped a bit. I'm not overly enamoured with this new format which seems to be given teams a second chance. In the first round I'm ok with it, but now we are further down the line, giving losing teams another go just seems to be stretching it on and on. And agree with the earlier comments, it feels totally out of place on a Friday night.

Comment

The absolute state of that team on tonight's episode.

Comment

Cape wankers

Comment

I bump this not to lament the fact that almost an entire series has passed without comment, but to note that on a recent episode (I binge watch them, so can't pinpoint when) the music round featured 'Up the Down Escalator' by the Chameleons as the first clue. Never mind five points, if anyone had got that I would have happily have seen them awarded the entire series on the spot.

Comment

Is that the band The Charlatans were obsessed by/ripped off as much as the Stone Roses?

Like The Cardiacs though, I’ve only heard of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                        Is that the band The Charlatans were obsessed by/ripped off as much as the Stone Roses?

Like The Cardiacs though, I’ve only heard of them.
                                        Hmm the Charlatans would certainly have heard them but probably not a direct influence. More yer Slowdives and yer Catherine Wheels, and slightly later Interpol and Editors. Certainly an influence on early Wedding Present, while Echo and the Bunnymen followed a poppier parallel path to them.

Comment

I've been given the quiz book, or as they call it Th Ffcl Qz Bk. Not sure whether it will work in quiz book format. I'm not that much of a fan. Mrs Thistle tends to watch each week and she was nonplussed by the book.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                            I've been given the quiz book, or as they call it Th Ffcl Qz Bk. Not sure whether it will work in quiz book format. I'm not that much of a fan. Mrs Thistle tends to watch each week and she was nonplussed by the book.
                                            At least in book form there's no singing.

Comment

This is back. Been alright so far.

Comment

Was there a valid alternative answer in the sequences round of tonight's episode?

[spoiler] After T = 3 and Q = 4 I had S = 6 for trio, quartet, quintet, sextet. [/spoiler]

Comment

That wouldn't have counted as it wouldn't fit the third clue. The sequences have to fit all the clues (even those that haven't been seen) otherwise you could get five points every time by coming up with a sequence that just had the first clue as it's starting point.

Comment

That's the key point. But also, there's no particular reason to start the trio, quartet etc. sequence at 3: you could have duo, say. Whereas the sequence of rectilinear plane figures has to start at triangle because it's impossible to have a closed rectilinear figure with two distinct sides.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X