Only Connect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only Connect

Catching up tonight with 7. Lasletts v Board Gamers.

At the end of the Board Gamers' wall the captain and Victoria have a conversation about the usefulness of a Billy goat to a baby and the idea of milk and cheese comes up. Neither of them cottons on that milking a Billy goat isn't going to get you milk, no matter how hard you try...

Comment

Only Connect

It is not unknown for male goats to produce milk. It's unusual, but not impossible.

Comment

Only Connect

Yeah, "milk", right. You try it first...

Comment

Only Connect

In other howlers, in an episode a few weeks ago a contestant hazarded a guess that the clues were all books by David Foster Wallace, to which Victoria Coren replied "No, but perhaps one day they will be." Ouch.

Comment

Only Connect

Can't remember the last time I shouted so loud at the telly when The Day Today presenters came up on the connecting wall!

Comment

Only Connect

Robbed.

Comment

Only Connect

Commiserations, Hof - once again, the missing vowels sees you edged out, couldn't have done any more to secure victory.

Comment

Only Connect

Thanks!

On another day we might have won, but c'est la vie. On the one hand it was frustrating to lose so narrowly, and on the other it was nice to not be on the end of a sound thrashing. It was particularly annoying to lose (at least partly) because I buzzed in wrongly and lost us a crucial point. And of course, when you lose by a point, you can always find lots of places where you could have picked up an extra point or two along the way.

As exciting as it was, the climax of the show was actually a good bit more tense and dramatic than what you saw. After I'd buzzed in wrongly for 'E Pluribus Unum', VCM originally (wrongly) disallowed the Bakers' answer over a pronunciation issue, meaning that the first "final" score was a 19-19 tie. VCM immediately declared her error upon conclusion of the round, however, which would have thus given the Bakers the 20-19 win. However, the production team then thought they'd better check whether "Pluribus Unum" on its own was a legitimate phrase, which would then have given the game to us.

There was an almost unbearably tense wait in the studio while everything was checked and double-checked, and there was even talk of scrapping the Latin round altogether and playing one more set of four missing vowels instead - all the while we were sitting and waiting to hear whether we'd won, they'd won, or we'd have to play another round.
                  Eventually, the (correct) decision came through - there is no such phrase as "Pluribus Unum" and the Bakers' pronunciation was fine - thus giving the game to them.

We had no complaints about it whatsoever, and the correct decision was reached - but it rather piled on the tension for everyone in the studio, to say the least.

Comment

Only Connect

Squarewheelbike wrote: Can't remember the last time I shouted so loud at the telly when The Day Today presenters came up on the connecting wall!
                    Not as loudly as I was shouting the last two set on your connecting wall last night Hof! Shame to see you go.

PS Love the T-shirt!

Comment

Only Connect

Watched it last night. Nice try, mate. I do wish that you'd beaten Zaphod Beeblebrox's other head in your first game, though.

Comment

Only Connect

Gangster Octopus wrote: Watched it last night. Nice try, mate. I do wish that you'd beaten Zaphod Beeblebrox's other head in your first game, though.
                        applause!

Yes, bad luck Hof. Watched it last night too and thought that you and your team gave an excellent account of themselves.

Comment

Only Connect

Thanks, all!

Comment

Only Connect

Tip for anyone planning to watch the final- don't look in the Xmas Radio Times.

Thanks to Dave T for that one.

Comment

Only Connect

With a spoiler of the semis, in case you're catching up, it's nice to see that someone has been keeping the Wiki page up to date (it doesn't mention the final).

What's interesting is that in the second round, Lasletts beat Board Gamers and Oenophiles beat Bakers. So the losers went into the repecharge and got through (beating Science Editors and, narrowly, Hof's Globetrotters). So when the semis roll up Board Gamers are pitched against Oenophiles and Bakers play Lasletts in a mirror of the second round. The two losing teams from the second round both win and become the finalists.

I think a round robin format may be called for next time. DG, over to you? Approx. 8 teams and/or 13 games by the looks of it. I don't think the current format has given sufficient evidence for us not to declare Globetrotters the true champions*

The general Only Connect Wiki page shows that it's pretty much BBC Four's most popular programme now.

* Ed - OK, maybe stretching it a bit, but note that the only teams that beat the Globetrotters are the two finalists, and one of them by a single point.

Comment

Only Connect

So in fact a simple two groups of four would do it. Six group games in each group (12). Winners play runners up from the other group (14) then a final (15). Only needs a couple more weeks in the schedule.

Comment

Only Connect

• teams on the same number of points would be separated by points scored, possibly followed by "wall points scored," "missing vowels points scored" or "points earned off opponents' wrong answers (steals?)"

Comment

Only Connect

The last programme: I knew the competition after National Dairy Council and Ladbrokes, but I assumed that it was Carling. I can never remember grubby little sponsors...

Comment

Only Connect

Would that be the Ladbrokes of Ladbrokes Pools, GO?

Comment

Only Connect

Oh yeah, Littlewoods. Whatever...

Comment

Only Connect

Just a nod to say that Series 9 starts tonight, at 8:30 on BBC Four.

Comment

Only Connect

Ta. I'd missed that.

Comment

Only Connect

Yes, ta likewise from me kevinho. I had heard about the new series before via a couple of quiz-related FB groups, but I'd forgotten again.

Comment

Only Connect

Christ but the Heath family were a joyless bunch.

Comment

Only Connect

New series now on BBC Two after UC. This week they had the QI Elves as one of the teams, and they were really shit! Can't remember shouting so many answers at one team.

Comment

Only Connect

Famous football writer Jonathan Wilson is a contestant on tonight's show, I see. Should be interesting.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X