Only Connect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only Connect

Thanks, mrfox. And yes, the football question was a frustrating miss. My brain was so locked into the "used to be part of a different country" thing that I just didn't see it.

I didn't mind the allowing colours answer so much - the question that bugged most was the DNA one. Partly because I didn't think it was a great question (basically you either knew it more or less instantly and thus got 5 points, or not at all) and partly because we'd have got the 5 points too if the question had gone to us.

Even so, we were well-beaten on the buzzers and would have lost anyway.

Dunc - thank your mum from me. If Twitter is anything to go by, she shares her fandom with a host of gay men...

Comment

Only Connect

I'd never heard of Büsingen, either the place or the football team. If they'd said Vaduz I may have got it sooner, I ony did at the fourth clue.

Comment

Only Connect

Hof, was gutted for you when you lost, the speed with which you got the wall out of the way was incredible. Shall look forward to your next appearence.

PS: On the footy one I was at "could it be" for Monaco, and "yes it is" with Berwick. Mainly because I'm from the North East probably. Also, I'm sure I've seen the other teams Captain on something else recently.

Comment

Only Connect

Yeah, they were all on University Challenge, and two of them were on Pointless, an appearance which gave us this gem.

Comment

Only Connect

Hofzinser wrote: Yeah, they were all on University Challenge, and two of them were on Pointless, an appearance which gave us this gem.
            I knew I'd seen them before - the glasses on the third team member are distinctive. Should we expect them to turn up on Eggheads or similar in the nearish future?

Comment

Only Connect

ha, that's excellent! Armstrong and Osman didn't look too impressed though.

Comment

Only Connect

The Globetrotters are making our second OC appearance tonight, quiz fans.

Comment

Only Connect

Shredded the wall there, guys. Danced a real Arsenal round it.

Comment

Only Connect

Nice one, nailed the wall there again, good luck with the rest of it. Although you did have me shouting at the telly on Scotch Woodcock!

Comment

Only Connect

Well done Chris, excellent again on the wall and your team nailed the missing vowels. Really chuffed for the 3 of you to get through to the next round.

Comment

Only Connect

Thanks, all - very kind.

Comment

Only Connect

What was so bad about the intro bit?

Comment

Only Connect

As it turned out, nothing. I had a memory of waffling on in quite an excruciating manner, while my internal monologue was screaming "stop talking NOW you moron!". However, they thankfully edited out the extraneous stuff at the end of my spiel, and just showed the bit at the beginning, which was fine. So thanks to the producers for that.

Comment

Only Connect

I thought I'd make myself useful and shift this to Film & TV.

Comment

Only Connect

Good idea.

Comment

Only Connect

Watching this now, and with no previous Only Connect history...Victoria Coren is painfully unfunny isn't she, and she has absolutely no sense of comic timing.

Comment

Only Connect

My guess is that, with the throwaway one-liners, they're trying to make a virtue of Ms Coren's 'dryness' (as indeed it were).

If I were being generous, I'd say that part of the problem is that she doesn't have a good team of writers who can work around her personality. Off her own bat, VC can sometimes come across as quite witty on her various guest slots on HIGNFY?, WILTY? and other BBC panel shows that don't have questions as titles.

Comment

Only Connect

QI?

Comment

Only Connect

As JW says, VC is very good at off-the-cuff humour, and she's also very good at writing quite funny prose. I think the problem (for those who think there is one) comes when stuff that works quite well written down is converted into verbal monologues to bookend the show, where they can come across as a little stilted. (And she does in fact write all her bits rather than having the team of writers that JW implied.)

Comment

Only Connect

Huzzah, well done to Team Hof. Looking forward to watching this later.

I keep confusing VC with Sue Perkins (similar comedy style rather than looks, I suppose). Didn't SP do that medieval food-fight show with VC's brother?

Comment

Only Connect

(And she does in fact write all her bits rather than having the team of writers that JW implied.)
                                            Well, what I actually said was that she 'doesn't' have that team of writers - but I'll concede I assumed someone else was penning her pay-offs. If not, and she is, then I'd recommend that she employ someone more experienced to do it. If you get my drift.

Comment

Only Connect

There is a "script associate" in the credits, which is usually code for writers on shows like this.

Comment

Only Connect

Yes, that's a byword for 'writer' - which some feel unnecessary on a show like OC. Hence the need for the expression.

Comment

Only Connect

The lack of a studio audience doesn't help. It generates a tumbleweed feeling whenever she cracks a joke, whether it's funny or not.

Comment

Only Connect

Indeed. Enough reason there for her not to continue with the comic asides, I'd have thought.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X