No announcement yet.

Only Connect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What on Earth was VCM wittering on about at the end of the most recent episode "Dragons vs Westenders"?

Is it supposed to be a running joke that the question editors, Jack Waley-Cohen and David McGaughey, are one and the same person? Or look a like? Or is it like the BBC broadcasts during WW2, a coded instruction to resistance groups in France?

Comment

I've taken to fast-forwarding her.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
        I've taken to fast-forwarding her.
        I very rarely watch the first or last two minutes of the programme and I'm always hovering over the fast forward button if it looks like VCM is going to encourage any singing.

Comment

The "level" "movie" thing last night was so tenuous, that said the missing vowels round made it irrelevant.

Comment

Originally posted by Squarewheelbike View Post
            The "level" "movie" thing last night was so tenuous, that said the missing vowels round made it irrelevant.
            I still don't understand how a team can get the correct answer for making a connection between the first two clues when it might not necessarily work for the rest of the clues?

Comment

Originally posted by tracteurgarçon View Post
              What on Earth was VCM wittering on about at the end of the most recent episode "Dragons vs Westenders"?

Is it supposed to be a running joke that the question editors, Jack Waley-Cohen and David McGaughey, are one and the same person? Or look a like? Or is it like the BBC broadcasts during WW2, a coded instruction to resistance groups in France?
              My sister in law says she thinks Victoria is hilarious. But when we watched several episodes of Only Connect with her she didn't laugh once.

I've given up trying to work out why the jokes are supposed to be funny. I just admire Victoria's iron clad confidence in her own wit. She's the British equivalent of Roseanne Barr.

Comment

Originally posted by tracteurgarçon View Post
                I still don't understand how a team can get the correct answer for making a connection between the first two clues when it might not necessarily work for the rest of the clues?
                The 'cheat' in the game is to buzz in on the second clue and make up any old random shit to get the 3 points. That gives you 9 from the sequences round. Plus a shot at bonuses if your opponents don't know the cheat and fuck up their answers.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                  The 'cheat' in the game is to buzz in on the second clue and make up any old random shit to get the 3 points. That gives you 9 from the sequences round. Plus a shot at bonuses if your opponents don't know the cheat and fuck up their answers.
                  This didn't used to be the case though, did it?

Comment

Originally posted by Squarewheelbike View Post
                    That really annoyed me, nearly as much as VCM does.

Comment

I was a bit torn on whether or not the team should have the points on that one, because their sequence was correct (up to that point) and a lot more specific than the one that was actually expected. The problem was that the correct sequence was a bit rubbish and vague, and the question setters should have spotted the blatant 42-43 thing going on with the first two clues and scrapped that question.

Comment

I was a bit torn on whether or not the team should have the points on that one, because their sequence was correct (up to that point) and a lot more specific than the one that was actually expected. The problem was that the correct sequence was a bit rubbish and vague, and the question setters should have spotted the blatant 42-43 thing going on with the first two clues and scrapped that question.
                        Yes, I agree that the Level 42, Movie 43 thing which the team picked up on for their alternative answer did make the question clues ill-advised. But it still strikes me as fundamentally wrong to give a team points for buzzing in with a sequence which doesn't fit (or, in this case, barely fits) the unseen 3rd clue (in R2) or third and/or fourth clues (in R1). They seem to have lost their way a bit. That Strictly judges question was woeful too.

Comment

I didn't mind the Strictly judges question because it was a bit different and you need a mix. I got the Paw Patrol characters on the Wall a few weeks back well before the contestants.

This last week someone didn't know Baron von Greenback was Danger Mouse's nemesis. Fucking unforgiveable, that.

Comment

I didn't know that either, and I've never even heard of Paw Patrol.

I didn't mind the Strictly question, but I did mind the OMG-I-can't-believe-you-don't-watch-Strictly-how-weeeird reaction from VCM. Know your audience, woman.

Comment

My nephew was well into Paw Patrol so, um, I had to watch several episodes so I knew what he was talking about. It's good fun. I like Rubble the best.

Comment

It's the inconsistency of the application of the rules that annoys me. It certainly didn't used to be the case that you could make up your own sequence after 2 clues and get the points regardless of what was in the third clue. And there's a lot of inconsistency around the required specific-ness of answers.... sometimes "they're all songs" is enough, sometimes "they're all songs with cities in the title" is enough, sometimes only "they're all songs with names of Olympic host cities in countries which are former British colonies" is enough

Comment

VCM’s witticisms have become increasingly tiring. They could cut them out and fit in another round.

Comment

This series has already had answers referring to Judas Priest, Poison and Motley Crue. When a Tigertailz question appears I’ll know there’s definitely something up.

Comment

Originally posted by gavc23 View Post
                                      This series has already had answers referring to Judas Priest, Poison and Motley Crue. When a Tigertailz question appears I’ll know there’s definitely something up.
                                      They've used The Chameleons and InMe in the recent past (last series maybe), neither of whom are likely to register much in their usual demographic of pub quiz champions, so looks like the setters are trying to shoehorn in their favourite bands.

Comment

The Motley Crue one was in a connection of 'famous Nicks' though. I got who Nikki Sixx is even though I couldn't name a Motley Crue song.

Comment

Does anyone understand what the hell is going on with VCM's closing monologues on the show? Is she sending coded messages to some sort of Brexit resistance group? Are they meant to be funny? Someone please explain.

Comment

That's so you can turn it off.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                              That's so you can turn it off.
                                              Which is something I've done to this entire series so far. Used to thoroughly enjoy Only Connect, but the ludicrous knockout/repercharge format left me cold, and VCM had become beyond parody.

Comment

Yes, I didn't even bother listening for the result last night, it went off as soon as the jingle for the end of missing vowels sounded.

And agree on the format. They have 16 teams and apparently this format involves 28 matches. A group stage and knockout format (as in Euro 96 for example) with 16 teams would need 31 matches. Why not do that instead? Everyone gets three goes then as a minimum, though perhaps they want to avoid wooden spoon matches.

If dead rubbers are a big issue, then use the Hockey World Cup format (36 matches, or 35 without a bronze match).
                                                Last edited by Kevin S; 29-01-2019, 13:19.

Comment

I expect because it's been ordained by channel commissioners that their series run is 28 programmes, and that's that

Comment

Heh, then I could suggest the Rugby League 14 team format which also had 28 games, but I'm not sure if people would find that any more simple than double elimination (which is actually ok once you get your head round it).

Comment

Working...
                                                    X