WSC Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WSC Books

The link to the left lists books in print, but I'm wondering if we could use this thread to list a bibliography of all WSC books.

Here's what I know (please correct any errors):

Nick Hornby (Ed.), My Favourite Year: A Collection of New Football Writing (London: Indigo, 1997) (Original 1993)

Bookable Offence: The When Saturday Comes Special No. 2 (London: Queen Anne Press, 1990).

Late Tackle: The When Saturday Comes Special No. 3 (London: Queen Anne Press, 1991).

WSC Books

Anyone read the African book?

Comment

WSC Books

Me. Review to come shortly in the review thread (honestly).

Comment

WSC Books

Offside was the first WSC Special....year of publication not immediately apparent though from a brief glance of the articles within it coincided with Gloucester City winning the Beazer Homes Midland Division if thats any help...

others on the shelf...Always Next Year 1998/99,1999/00,2000/01,& 2001/02

Back Home-how the world watched France 1998

Power Corruption & Pies-A decade of the best football writing from WSC(Nov 1 1997)

Morbo-The Story of Spanish Football. 2001 WSC Books Ltd

Tor-The story of German Football. 2002 WSC Books Ltd

WSC-The Half Decent Football Book. 2005 Penguin Books

Soccer in a Football World. 2006 WSC Books Ltd

Comment

WSC Books

just had a look at the list...didnt realise the John Barnes book was also a WSC print...my copy is Faber & Faber 1989...

Comment

WSC Books

There's also the Always Next Year series of season-review tomes, which ran from the late 90s to early-mid part of this decade, I think

Comment

WSC Books

Here's the full cite for one listed previously:

Andy Lyons and Mike Ticher (Eds.), Back Home: How the World Watched France 98 (London: WSC Books, 1998).

Comment

WSC Books

There's also "Power, Corruption & Pies vol. 2", published in 2006.

Comment

WSC Books

danielmak wrote:
                  Here's the full cite for one listed previously:

Andy Lyons and Mike Ticher (Eds.), Back Home: How the World Watched France 98 (London: WSC Books, 1998).
                  Good call. That one's tons better than all the others put together.

Comment

WSC Books

And "The First Eleven", which is the compilation of the first eleven editions of WSC, perhaps unsurprisingly.

Comment

WSC Books

Prompted by this thread, I just read my contribution in the 2000/01 edition of Always Next Year, detailing Santos Cape Town's sensational cup win over mighty Mamelodi Sundowns.

In the conclusion, noting the acquisition of a new coach, I suggested that this might bring greater successes, "who knows, maybe even the [league] championship". And was I ever prescient: the following season Santos won the league (without a shirt sponsor, though, unlike Barcelona, not by choice).

I wonder for how many others the hopeful line "always next year" was actually fulfilled.

Of the OTF contingent whose names I know, the same edition features E10 Rifle on Leyton Orient.

erwin and Nishlord were in the 1999/2000 edition.

imp, treibeis, Exploding Vole and Oolon Colluphid represented OTF before it was even born, in 1998/99.

These are the only editions I have. Apologies if I have not recognised other contributors' names.

Comment

WSC Books

G.Man wants a hyphen wrote:
                        Prompted by this thread, I just read my contribution in the 2000/01 edition of Always Next Year, detailing Santos Cape Town's sensational cup win over mighty Mamelodi Sundowns.

In the conclusion, noting the acquisition of a new coach, I suggested that this might bring greater successes, "who knows, maybe even the [league] championship". And was I ever prescient: the following season Santos won the league (without a shirt sponsor, though, unlike Barcelona, not by choice).

I wonder for how many others the hopeful line "always next year" was actually fulfilled.

Of the OTF contingent whose names I know, the same edition features E10 Rifle on Leyton Orient.

erwin and Nishlord were in the 1999/2000 edition.

imp, treibeis, Exploding Vole and Oolon Colluphid represented OTF before it was even born, in 1998/99.

These are the only editions I have. Apologies if I have not recognised other contributors' names.
                        Thanks, G. I have these on order and look forward to reading your chapter.

Updating an earlier reply:

I just picked up Offside!: The When Saturday Comes Special. It doesn't list a publication date or a press, although Eagle House Press is listed as the printer. Figured I'd add this for folks who might be looking for a more complete bibliography.

Comment

WSC Books

Inca wrote:
                          Anyone read the African book?
                          I've ordered it but it's yet to be dispatched - I thought it might be because it wasn't out yet ...

Comment

WSC Books

That's surprising as I received it within two days. Will do a review shortly.

Comment

WSC Books

I just picked up Offside!: The When Saturday Comes Special. It doesn't list a publication date or a press, although Eagle House Press is listed as the printer. Figured I'd add this for folks who might be looking for a more complete bibliography.
                              I have just put offisde and its 2 successors on ebay

the first one was 1989 i think

Comment

I saw a paperback copy of The Half Decent Football Book in a charity shop today. I almost bought it because it's got my name in the front of it as a contributor. But I have my hardback copy so I don't really need it.

Comment

Working...
                                X