Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morrissey book - what the fuck?

Jesus, sorry about that Lucia

Was that a Simon Quinlank reference up there?

Comment

Correct. It's not your fault, Luke R.

Comment

Short of Julie Burchill or Toby Young reviewing it, that couldn't get worse.

Comment

Crikey!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-26167656

Comment

Morrissey is quite spiteful about Julie Burchill in the book, especially about her physical appearance; curiously, as he wrote her love letters at the NME when he was a teenager.

She's been spiteful about people's looks in the past, so I guess it's kind of karmic/no biggie, but it makes you wonder if he's looked in the mirror much lately.

He also has a go at (my lovely) Siouxsie, who I doubt gives even the merest hint of a fuck about him.

Weird.

Comment

Friday morning quiz.

Who said it:Morrissey or Alan Partridge?

Comment

7 out of 13. The one about his head being too big really threw me.

Comment

He's back...

Comment

Farage and Galloway as "liberal educators", and an Islamophobic dig at Sadiq Khan. Get all the way to fuck, Stephen.

Comment

Sundeporino wrote: £4.49 in Morrisons this afternoon.
                      I wonder if he'll be happy with that? Hmmm happy? Hmmm meat products available? Hmmmm at least its a Northernish supermarket. I just hope the shelf stacker didnt stack any spam tins without washing their hands.
                      Bradford. North of Manchester.

Comment

When did Morrissey start having Donald Trump write his press releases? :

"Incontestably, the Morrissey Band is the best in the world."

Comment

This from the previous entry about the five-pound note:

"If you feel that the use of animal flesh should not be a moral issue, then you should assert your conviction by donating your own body to the Bank Of England for decorative use in future five pound notes." It's either a parody or Moz just being his usual self-parody.

Comment

Going back to his London Mayor comments from August, his politics just seem incoherent to me rather than intrinsically offensive. I'm not sure how someone can admire both Farage and Galloway, unless calling them 'liberal' was ironic, which is perhaps beyond his intellectual span at this point in his life. Reducing Islam to Halal seems to be somewhat racist but it could also be that Mozza is a political one-trick pony who judges everybody by their stance on animal rights.

Comment

Firstly, I am not sure how Morrisey knows Khan isn't vegetarian but I suppose it may be on public record somewhere.

The "he talks so fast that no-one understands" quote is slyly cuntish. It's verging on the "he's a funny speaking brown fellow" but just this side.

Comment

Khan's choice of local restaurants is quite carnivore.

Sadiq orders us a platter of barbecue hunks of chicken and lamb tikka, masala fish, and fresh passion fruit juice.

Comment

He includes Halal as part of his faith:

http://en.news-4-u.ru/the-new-mayor-of-london-sadiq-khan-the-muslim-took-the-oath.html

But I doubt Mozza knew this.

Comment

news-4-u.ru!?? That sounds reliable.

Comment

If there were a competition for least surprising news in the entire world of pop music, then "Morrissey gives further evidence of being a deluded moronic self-aggrandising and self-righteous pillock" would be a hot contender for the prize.

I dare say it's all rather disappointing for people who rated The Smiths back in the day. As I always loathed their hugely overrated output, and found Morrissey's personal style on stage particularly smack-in-the-face-worthy, I don't have that problem.

Comment

I dunno, doesn't seem that disappointing to me. I loved the Smiths, and I thought Morrissey's lyrics back then perfectly captured the experience of the slightly awkward teenage boy struggling with the world and growing up in it. After that he struggled mightily because his experience was that of a highly successful adult who felt his opinions were worth something more than anyone else's - and that's somewhat less of a big demographic. The fact that he's proven to be a complete dick does nothing to take away my enjoyment of his early work.

Comment

What ad hoc said

Comment

the slightly awkward teenage boy
                                            I must confess, now that I've been prompted to think of Morrissey as a kind of musical version of Harry Enfield's Kevin character, his self-pitying singing and bizarre on-stage movement patterns become slightly less irritating.

Comment

ad hoc wrote: After that he struggled mightily because his experience was that of a highly successful adult who felt his opinions were worth something more than anyone else's - and that's somewhat less of a big demographic.
                                              Well, as a highly unsuccesful adult who feels his opinions are worth something more than anyone else's, there is a certain overlap.

Comment

You have to put Morrissey's early persona into the context of the time, namely how it contrasted with the preening pop icons of the day. However, it had grown tiresome by 1986, let alone 2016. He's like a medieval prince surrounded by sycophants who never has to grow up. The adulation has prevented him growing as an artist, assuming that was ever possible.

Also worth noting that when The Smiths became famous he was already 24, even though he acted like an adolescent and was really singing about his life of 5-10 years earlier. He never acted his age. Contrast with John Lennon who (despite also being laughably pretentious at times) decided that he needed to move on once he hit 27-28.

Comment

[QUOTE]...but it could also be that Mozza is a political one-trick pony who judges everybody by their stance on animal rights./QUOTE]

It's a pretty good indicator of someone's personality, it must be said.
                                                  I've no time, for example, for the kind of arsewit who replies 'they're only horses' during a debate on cruelty in jump racing.
                                                  I've never been a fan of his, and he generally talks a lot of auld shite, but I admired his stance on banning meat burgers from being sold at an arena show here a few years back. The whining was incredible but he insisted on it.
                                                  It'll do you no harm to abstain from gristle for two hours.
                                                  I've worked a few of his shows before and it's clear who the boss is. It appeared to be more of a waged backing band who hung around waiting on him to appear for sound check . Maybe that's changed, I dunno.

Comment

Hahaha

Where the fuck did my post go?

This upgrade is bollocks.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X