Morrissey book - what the f**k?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's the patronising way he says "you didn't get it"

No mate, they got it, they couldn't believe you'd said it, and it wasn't funny. If it was meant to be.

Hate to admit that Viz nailed it.

There was a light but it's now gone out.

Comment

Himself is now on Later Live with Jools fucking Holland. Shocking, motions going through bollocks. He looks a bit like Gordon Ramsey now. Wanker gone all doughy and to seed, badness catching up on the face.

Comment

I read Johnny Marr's book a couple of weeks ago. The first half half/two thirds is brilliant, before it gets a bit episodic and repetitious, as musicians' memoirs are wont to do.

I took my 'Shut Up, Morrissey,' tote bag out for a spin yesterday, so you can't say that he's completely lost the ability to provide enjoyment.

Comment

I seem to recall a story in Johnny Marr's book about how he was the only one in The Smiths passionate about politics, and he had to convince the others to go along to Red Wedge with him. Morrissey didn't sound particularly bothered until a few pints got him in the mood.

Morrissey's political opinions have always been ill-informed and ham-fisted, even when directing his ire towards right-wing figures in the devastating refrain of "why won't you die?" from 'Margaret on the Guillotine' in 1988.

I think the latest outbursts are a combination of him becoming (more) curmudgeonly with age, and more channels being available for him to spout nonsense.
          Last edited by Thierry Ennui; 05-10-2017, 15:35.

Comment

That and being a cunt, obvs.

Comment

That and a total lack of desire to become more informed, which makes his chiding of the audience for that offence very ironic.

Comment

Cunts of a feather...

Comment

Come, friendly bombs....

Comment

He's a prematurely old man with a 12 year old's understanding of his position in the world. As a lyricist, he gave up after the first solo album. Politics are sub-sub-Brexiteer: he knows what's for the best, even though he never reads the papers or meets people from the ethnicities he attacks.

Comment

'Low in High School'. Oh my fucking God.

Comment

[Verse 1]
                        Spend more on nuclear war
                        If that's your chosen illusion
                        Incinerate innocent men and women and children
                        The kids around here have the best idea

They say presidents come, presidents go
                        But all the young people they must fall in love
                        All the young people they must fall in love
                        Presidents come, presidents go
                        And oh look at the damage they do

[Verse 2]
                        They never stop talking
                        They aren't allowed to say
                        They can't say what they really mean
                        Do you ever say what you really mean?

Presidents come, presidents go
                        And oh look at the damage they do
                        All the young people they must fall in love

So what do you want to do?
                        It's up to you

Comment

Originally posted by Reginald Christ
                          Are there any fans of his - even among the hardcore - that still trot out some variant of "Obviously he's not a racist..."
                          Yes, I have crossed swords with, at least, one on regular occasions on FB. Lovely bloke, really intelligent but with a blind spot about Morrisey's racism. Sent me a copy of his autobiography to see the context of the "a seven-foot homeless blackface" quote. I read around that quote but nothing justified it. Obviously, I wasn't going to read anyfuckingmore than absolutely necessary

Comment

The Joyce v Morrissey and Marr court judgment from 1998 makes interesting reading: http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCA/Civ/1998/1711.html

Comment

Listening to something from Morrissey's new album on 6Music as we speak.

Does every track have to include him chanting 'no (something), no (something different), no (something else entirely)'?

Comment

I think a feature of bands who are together a long time is that they split the proceeds between band members pretty much equally, regardless of publishing. I think Coldplay and U2 do that. I expect the Stones do these days.

Comment

The law assumes that bands operate that way unless there is an explicit agreement to do otherwise. Moz/Marr arrogantly assumed they could proceed on a 40-40-10-10 split just by dint of the others not kicking up a fuss.

Comment

Stop picking on poor Kevin Spacey.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                                      b/w "Refugees have turned Berlin into the rape capital of Europe" (double B side).

Comment

My sister posted a photo of Morrissey's latest CD on FB yesterday. I refrained from commenting. Best not start a family argument over that piece of shit.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                          The law assumes that bands operate that way unless there is an explicit agreement to do otherwise. Moz/Marr arrogantly assumed they could proceed on a 40-40-10-10 split just by dint of the others not kicking up a fuss.
                                          But I thought that applied to the non-publishing earnings? So Moz/Marr split the publishing earnings 50:50 and the non-publishing earnings got split between the band members.

What I meant was that, to the best of my knowledge, U2 and Coldplay split all earnings equally.

Comment

Are there any fans of his - even among the hardcore - that still trot out some variant of "Obviously he's not a racist..."
                                            You can always find a fanboy to claim "he's not a racist". Morrissey, Dawkins. Boris Johnson. You name 'em.

Comment

I loved the Smiths when I was young, they were very popular in France. My Q is: has Morrissey always been such a misanthrope? (I suspect I know the answer to this semi-rhetorical Q...)

(The Times of 17 Nov.)

ALBUM REVIEW. Pop review: Morrissey: Low in High School

Morrissey was always awkward and morose, but now he is danger of sounding like the pub philosopher no one wants to get stuck with

The singer has gone from angry young man to sad old grump, says Will Hodgkinson

And it was all going so well. After spending the past decade biting whatever hand was still prepared to feed him, his so-so Autobiography being published as a Penguin Classic and falling out with one record label after another, Morrissey looked set to enter a new purple patch in September with the shock release ofSpent the Day in Bed.

This Roxy Music-style paean to the joys of pulling up the sheets and ignoring the world was Moz at his best: exciting, rebellious, free-thinking. A subsequent concert for the BBC reaffirmed the power of his onstage charisma — until he claimed the far-right politician Anne Marie Waters’s failure to secure the Ukip leadership was a fix.

The comment was interpreted widely as endorsement for Waters’s anti-Islam viewpoint. Actually, it was more likely a wind-up for people who enjoy being wound up, at which it was phenomenally successful, but it also set the tone for this mean-minded album.

Morrissey, the man who once made misfits feel they were not alone, now seems to be saying that, actually, we are all alone, and what’s more governments, the media and pretty much everyone else are collaborating against us. While he stops short of claiming that we are run by a shady cabal of lizard people, this paranoid tone is suited more to a stoned student firing off 3am comment posts than one of Britain’s sharpest pop stars.

“Teach your kids to recognise and despise all the propaganda filtered down by the dead echelon’s mainstream media,” he recommends on My Love I’d Do Anything for You, no doubt including this review as propaganda to recognise and despise.

The advice would have more impact if Morrissey didn’t sound like a pub crooner backed by surviving members of the Seventies glam stompers the Glitter Band. “I carry out the powerful vulgarian view. I scatter gloom. Do as I say or I’ll scatter you,” he commands on I Bury the Living. It is intended as a description of the morally compromised life of a soldier, but sounds more like Morrissey with a hangover. And the album’s blend of rock thud and melodramatic, Jacques Brel-style crooning makes you cry out for Johnny Marr’s lightness of touch with the Smiths, which balanced the singer’s rainy, Larkinesque lyricism so perfectly.

Even when Morrissey looks in the mirror on the autobiographical Jacky’s Only Happy When She’s up on Stage, he still points the finger outwards, turning what could have been a moment of self-examination into an accusation.

Mocking laughter follows a coda of “everybody’s heading for the exit”, which sounds self-pitying and accusatory, as if addressing people running in horror from one of his concerts. Then again he might be singing about Brexit, which he has hailed as “magnificent”, because confusing political statements pop up throughout the album.

The Girl From Tel-Aviv Who Wouldn’t Kneel is a cabaret-like piano ballad about the Middle East erupting into conflict “because the land weeps oil”, while on the maudlin Israel he claims the country’s enemies bitch and whine simply because they are jealous of the Jewish state, an original summation of Israeli-Arab relations if nothing else.

Only the singalong All the Young People Must Fall in Love offers positivity, with Morrissey positing that presidents come and go and billions are spent on nuclear weapons, but young people will still find ways of making life worthwhile.

Of course, Morrissey was always awkward and morose. It was at the heart of his appeal. And he still inspires a rabid following across Latin America, plus a powerful homoerotic pull on middle-aged men with quiffs the world over. However, an angry young man can become a bitter old grouch if he allows himself and, as satisfying as it is to point out all that is wrong with the world, after a certain age you should offer hope and wisdom alongside cynicism and superiority. Otherwise, you’re just the pub philosopher nobody wants to end up getting stuck at the bar with.

Comment

Yeah, it's a bit like the Queen fans in the '80s who denied, to the point of violence, that Freddie Mercury might be gay.

Comment

Some local (to me) news that will no doubt please everyone here.

Morrissey's show in Buenos Aires has been cancelled after he defended Kevin Spacey in an interview and the producer of the show said he could no longer work with him.

Comment

¡Muy bien!

Comment

Working...
                                                    X