Fay Grim (2006)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fay Grim (2006)

So, Hal Hartley's follow-up to Henry Fool. Hmmm. He completely reinvents Henry, to the extent that one probably couldn't watch the original film in the same way again (and that's almost certainly not a good thing). I consider that film to be Hartley's best, and doubt that Hartley had the plot twists of Fay Grim in mind at the time.

Even so, it's pretty good fun, with Hartley having something of a return to form. His trademark humour is in there, along with his oblique dialogue, only this time there's a whole lot of 21st century international intrigue added to the mix. Whether one can follow the twists and turns of the plot is one thing - indeed I half suspect that one of the points of the film is that it's not important who's doing what to whom and why. Henry Fool has been transformed from self-proclaimed (and self-deluded) literary "genius" into an international spy-cum-terrorist with a finger in every pie from Chile to the Middle East via Nicaragua. The Pope apparently once "threw a chair at him." His memoirs are no longer a disastrous attempt at a literary masterpiece, but rather a masterfully coded message. (No, I didn't swallow it either, but somehow that didn't matter.)

Fay Grim (Parker Posey) takes central stage in excellent manner as she chases Henry's trail across continents, hoping to find him before the CIA, or the Israelis, or the Russians, or the French do. Hartley has enormous fun along the way, among other things having religious men of various persuasions carefully view pictures of an orgy in order to decode a message on the wall behind the heaving bodies.

It's no masterpiece, but it's the first decent film from Hartley since Henry Fool, and coming after the quite unbelievably bad The Girl From Monday, that surely can't be a bad thing.

Fay Grim (2006)

Henry Fool was the last Hartley film to get released in the UK. I don't know why distributors haven't bothered with him since; it could be because the films he's subsequently made simply didn't appeal to any of them (I've read bad reports) or because he's judged to be too unfashionable these days (I don't think his films have been released on dvd here yet either). Possibly because the major studios now make (for want of a better phrase) "indie" films themselves, there doesn't seem to be room in the marketplace for many who started out as genuinely independent.
    I remember reading about Fay Grim a few years ago and hoped it might come out here but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

Comment

Fay Grim (2006)

The Book of Life was shown on TV in the UK at one point, which is how I've seen it. It's a very strange one about the apocalypse, worth watching for the weirdness rather than anything else.

Then there's No Such Thing, his modern-day take on Beauty and the Beast. Has some good bits and some bad bits, but rather loses its way towards the end. But much of it is set in Iceland and it's got Sarah Polley in it, so worth catching.

And then there's The Girl From Monday. Avoid.

The latter two I got from torrents. If they won't release them in the UK, what else can I do? (I did the same with Fay Grim.)

Comment

Working...
      X