Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gretna - Down on Saturday and Out Today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://sport.scotsman.com/football/S...lks.3932587.jp

Gretna may finally close down today.

Can someone explain this one to me, please?

So Gretna's moneybags owner, Mileson, falls ill a couple of months ago (brain hemmoraege or something). While he is non-compos mentis, his family announces that they're cutting the team off. Instantly, they are threatened with administration and extinction.

Why is no one pissed at the family (or at least, if they are, I've not seen it in the news)? Is Mileson silll not compos mentis? It's still legally his/their team, no? Isn't he an owner and not just a sponsor? Don't Mileson and his family have legal obligations here?

Comment

We don't really know the story, but...

First of all the club is now owned by the receiver, so the Mileosn family have no say any more.

Second, there are rumours that his whole empire was built on a tower of sand, eg mini Maxwell meets Walter Mitty, and that when he wasn't around to play sleight of hand with his finances then the whole thing began to crumble.

I'll see what I can dig up.

Comment

Antonio Gramsci wrote:
        So Gretna's moneybags owner, Mileson, falls ill a couple of months ago (brain hemmoraege or something). While he is non-compos mentis, his family announces that they're cutting the team off. Instantly, they are threatened with administration and extinction.
        That part is bothering me as well. Did he decide to withdraw his support, or did his family do when he was ill?

Comment

There is a very extensive discussion (136 pages!) in Pie and Bovril about this.

This page seems pretty apt

http://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=78384&st=3175

Comment

Working...
          X