No announcement yet.

A Well Regulated Militia . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Part of the problem, I suspect, is that most of the native communities are in the inland west and often very remote. Most of us never have occasion to meet or talk to any indigenous people.

Comment

There has long been a significant community of Mohawk iron workers in New York City, but we are very fortunate to have a major branch of the National Museum of the American Indian, which brings speakers and artists from all over the country every month. I always learn something when I go there.

Comment

In other news

[URL]https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/1123370817105088513?s=21[/URL]

Comment

I have a former colleague who works at UNC. Horrific.

Comment

From the same CNN link. Apologies if already posted: 4 year old accidentally shoots himself:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/14/us/oa...amily-gunfire/

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
              There has long been a significant community of Mohawk iron workers in New York City, but we are very fortunate to have a major branch of the National Museum of the American Indian, which brings speakers and artists from all over the country every month. I always learn something when I go there.
              They're basically the ones that demonstrated the whole .walking around on girders hundreds of feet in the air, as though you were on the ground' approach weren't they? That line of work was also very popular with people from East Galway, a place where if you want to get 40 feet above sea level, you have to climb a church tower. I suppose if you've only recently seen your first tree, then a skyscraper isn't that big a leap.

Comment

Yup, those are the Mohawks.

I went to a talk by one of them who said that it wasn't that they were unaware of the risks, but rather that they had been culturally trained to minimise and accept them in order to make a good living and continue the tradition. He said that he wasn't that keen on going onto the roof of his house because he wasn't being paid for that and didn't have his equipment at home.

Comment

The NFB have a cool old film about Mohawk steel walkers.

https://www.nfb.ca/film/high_steel/

Comment

The opening scenes are from the construction of One Chase Manhattan Plaza, which is a block from my office and contains the subway entrance I use most often.
                    Last edited by ursus arctos; 01-05-2019, 19:18.

Comment

I heard an interview recently with the grand-daughter of one of the Six Nations Mohawk steel walkers. He told her that as kids they'd play on railway trestles all the time, daring each other to climb higher and run faster along the beams.

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/shannonrwatts/status/1124084359869411330?s=21[/URL]

Comment

Err...

link dunt work?

Comment

Unless you wait and click on the picture, rather than the URL...

Comment

Journal has a paywall, soz

Comment

Two shooters in custody after they shot at least 8 at a K-12 school in Colorado.

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/ktla/status/1126252524879482880?s=21[/URL]

Comment

It seems so alien to me that the commentary says that these are just normal guns, but something must have happened to trigger the investigation. As if having several hundred long guns and handguns was totally normal and shouldn't alert the police.

Comment

That's what having the NRA control discussion on the subject for decades will do to a country.

The house appears to be one of two dozen prime LA properties owned (but not lived in) by Gordon Getty's ex-mistress.

Comment

11 killed by an employee at the Virginia Beach Municipal Center (collection of city offices/departments). The shooter is also dead.

Comment

Of course.

Comment

"Disgruntled" municipal employee.

What a fucked up country we live in.

Comment

Part of the BBC report records that this is the 150th mass shooting in the USA in 2019 so far. We're on day 151.

Comment

What a fucked up country that my first reaction was: "This is the biggest mass shooting of the year, and it's only 12 people. We doing pretty well compared to last year."

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                                  What a fucked up country that my first reaction was: "This is the biggest mass shooting of the year, and it's only 12 people. We doing pretty well compared to last year."
                                                  I think anything more than three counts as a “mass shooting.” By some definitions it’s four.

But these shootings only count for a small percentage of people being shot in the US. Suicides are more common than homicides and domestic murder is more common than these types of “stranger” murder.

The numbers appear to be fairly stable, but they are also very high. I don’t understand how “not increasing” is supposed to make the problem less urgent.

www.vox.com/platform/amp/2015/10/1/18000524/mass-shootings-rare
                                                  Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 02-06-2019, 01:37.

Comment

If only garlic farmers had had the foresight to arm themselves with machine guns, this would never have happened

​​​​​​https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-49147369

Comment

Working...
                                                    X