X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Potentially massive if it survives appeals

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1106223862281318400?s=19

Comment

Because that's a state supreme court, can the fed supremes overturn it?

Comment

Shooting at a mosque in Christchurch, NZ. No details about shooter or casualties yet. Will resist instant assumptions, but regardless - very disturbing.

Comment

I very much hope that this isn't as horrific as it is beginning to sound, but the chances don't look good.

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
            Shooting at a mosque in Christchurch, NZ. No details about shooter or casualties yet. Will resist instant assumptions, but regardless - very disturbing.
            Reports indicate instant assumptions are likely correct. The local media are reporting a 'European' shooter and there are rumours he hopped over from Australia. None of that has been 100% confirmed, but it looks like it is absolutely conforming to type.

The inevitable banal, predictable online 'manifestos' and live streaming the shooting. Words fail.

I suppose it won't be "Too soon" for the pro-gun fanatics who will point at this and say, "If only there had been someone with a gun ..."
            Last edited by Lurgee; 15-03-2019, 04:01.

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/danbrettig/status/1106400734222798848?s=21[/URL]

Comment

Yes, he put everything online. And so the links spread like a virus.

It's all just too shitty for words.

Comment

Wonder if he was a fan of these guys, who were banging their race-baiting hate drum in Auckland last year?

Police are still looking for at least one more shooter. I suspect there must be a local nutjob involved. Christchurch has always had a higher than average occurrence of racist arseholes.

Is it not well past time we stopped pretending these hatemongers were part of any civilised discourse?

Comment

Until now, the one tiny nod of acknowledgement that I could ever give to American 2nd amendment fetishists was when they responded: "do what you want in your country, this is ours". And yes, it's true, I don't have a say in USA gun laws, and obviously I shouldn't. So - point conceded.

Until now, because it turns out that a huge army of NRAzis are all over the latest announcement by the NZ government, telling us exactly what Jacinda's commies are doing wrong. And we should listen, dammit!

But absence of self-awareness goes with the territory, I suppose. The "good guy with a gun" apparently now includes arming Muslims in mosques. Let's look forward to Trump demanding that.

Comment

Well, in the last 24 hours I've had a tiny glimpse into the USA "gun debate" (spoiler: they don't debate). And I can only marvel at the patience and courage and sheer dedication of those who keep campaigning for change in that country, year after year, abuse after attack from you-know-who ... the soulless ones, with the glazed eyes of utter intransigence. A day has been exhausting enough - and that's in circumstances where the victory (in NZ) is assured already, and in an obscure overseas jurisdiction that nobody at the NRA cared about a week ago.

What it's like for survivors of Parkland and Sandy Hook and the rest, I can't begin to imagine. Deepest respect to them all.

Comment

Yup

But it is too important an issue for us to stop.

Comment

[QUOTE=tee rex;n2129407]Until now, the one tiny nod of acknowledgement that I could ever give to American 2nd amendment fetishists was when they responded: "do what you want in your country, this is ours". And yes, it's true, I don't have a say in USA gun laws, and obviously I shouldn't. So - point conceded.

/QUOTE]

No say, conceded, but an opinion yes, surely. Though I suppose the issue is how much and when and indeed how anyone should intervene in any way in the affairs of a nation not their own.

Comment

Well, non-US citizens cannot vote here, nor can they donate to campaigns for elective office.

They can, however, contribute to organisations that advocate for gun control, and, more importantly, can work to continue to improve their own countries' gun laws. What New Zealand has done and is doing since the atrocity has not gone without notice here. Needless to say, it will not change the minds of the zealots, but the zealots are increasingly isolated.

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/miamiherald/status/1109832695998230534?s=21[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
                                Until now, the one tiny nod of acknowledgement that I could ever give to American 2nd amendment fetishists was when they responded: "do what you want in your country, this is ours". And yes, it's true, I don't have a say in USA gun laws, and obviously I shouldn't. So - point conceded.

Until now, because it turns out that a huge army of NRAzis are all over the latest announcement by the NZ government, telling us exactly what Jacinda's commies are doing wrong. And we should listen, dammit!

But absence of self-awareness goes with the territory, I suppose. The "good guy with a gun" apparently now includes arming Muslims in mosques. Let's look forward to Trump demanding that.
                                As Christchurch demonstrated, you don't need a gun, just an eftpos machine.

My brother-in-law and father-in-law have both been regurgitating what sound suspiciously like rightwing ideas. B-in-L likes his target shooting and re-posted some pro-gun screed about there being a lack of consultation about the semi-auto ban, which is essentially repeating the NRA / every US politician ever post school shooting mantra that it is 'too soon' to discuss gun control, and only works if you pretend the 2017 review never happened. More worryingly, both B-in-L and F-in-L have repeated / commented positively on some raving about 'Why is it Muslims who are getting all the attention and sympathy, there are other victims of racism.' Which seems a pretty obvious 'turn-the-victims-against-each-other' ploy to me.

Comment

If they start talking about how the Irish were slaves, it may be time for an intervention.

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/eorden/status/1110201722813718529?s=21[/URL]

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1110491467313750016?s=21[/URL]

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/shannonrwatts/status/1110689814838501376?s=21[/URL]

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/ajlamesa/status/1114541018584682502?s=21[/URL]

Comment

Happens at the Canadian border all the time. Seniors in RVs are among the worst offenders apparently.

Comment

A key demographic for Fox propaganda.

They should all do hard time.

Comment

Two stories for the price of one:

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/travel...ds/3329753002/

taken at face value, there's some sympathy for the woman who boarded a cruise ship in Miami for Delta to "send on" her missing luggage to Cayman which contained a gun and ammunition.

None at all for the bloke who's smuggled arms and ammunition into the country while he's building his resort complex.

And judging by his quotes he sounds like a right dick.

Comment

We issue prizes for reading other posts on the thread as well...

Comment

“the legislation could lead to firearm confiscations over misdemeanor domestic violence or stalking convictions.”

And this is bad because?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X